PDA

View Full Version : New Linux/Ubuntu User Needing Help with Compiz

Utemetsu
July 30th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Hello all. I'm a new linux user, and, after a recommendation from one of my clanmates for BF2, I chose ubuntu. Now, I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time in linux, so bear with me.

I want to install Compiz Fusion -- that fancy desktop cube thing with all the crazy animations and whatnots.

Now I dont want you thinking that I'm a total Computer noob, its just that I have been raised on Windows my whole life, so when you start throwing around things like compilers etc I get lost pretty easy.

I have the latest Ubuntu; 8.04 (hardy heron, I think is what it's called) and I want to know how to get compiz-fusion working; whether it's installed already or not.

Thanks,

Utemetsu

joshdudeha
July 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM
It's already installed.
But you need the compiz-configuration-settings-manager.

Goto System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager
and search for Compiz-configuration-settings-manager

install it, and then go to Systems>Preferences and it will be listed there.

Enable the 3d cube, and the rotate-cube plugins.

Make sure you have 4 desk spaces, not the two that are pre-configured.
Ctrl + Alt + Left mouse click will do the 3d cube.
Hope I've helped?
And this should be in the Desktop Effects & Customization or Absolute beginner forum.
but since you're new that's fine =]

hope I've helped

Kevbert
July 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
What's your video card ?

Utemetsu
July 30th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks, sorry for the mis-post; I looked around and didn't know which one to post in...

Thanks for the very fast reply. I'll take care of it when I get home from work.

The GFX card is a 64 mb Radeon r250 -- Its an older laptop, but meets the system requirements. I'm going to college this fall so I need a solid machine, so I nabbed the ancient Acer that we had laying upstairs, needed free software and accesabilty (as well as a working knowledge of linux) and threw on a dual-boot of ubuntu.

joshdudeha
July 30th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I don't really know a lot about what graphics cards work on ubuntu.
My on-board 64mb intel works a dream..
But, if you follow the instructions - it should work if your card is supported.
If not, I'm sure that people like KevBert can help you (:

Utemetsu
July 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM
In today's world, the GFX card is a POS. But, its an old laptop that I wont be doing any graphics on anyway, so its not an issue.

My primary machine is Windows (its a gaming/adobe rig); dual Nvidia 768's (8800 ultras) quad-core etc; but it's a 70lb desktop, I cant exactly lug that thing around with me to class every day

joshdudeha
July 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah, but like it might need propietary drivers .. which is the thing that I am inexperienced in.
Mine just worked out of the box.. But you may need to configure it by hand.

Maybe try a google search, or just wait till you get home and install CCSM

cdtech
July 30th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Here is a post that may help you also....

compiz-check (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=799070&highlight=compiz-check)

Hope this helps....

madjr
July 30th, 2008, 06:30 PM
ubuntu tweak

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/2008/07/29/improved-version-ubuntu-tweak-035-released.html

Utemetsu
July 30th, 2008, 07:46 PM
What is "Ubuntu Tweak"?

Kevbert
July 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Most ATI, Intel and nVidia cards will work with compiz. If you run compiz-check mentioned in a previous post it will tell you if you need to use a different display driver. The compiz manager CCSM can be installed via Applications-Add/Remove and will show up under System-Preferences-Advanced Desktop Effects.