PDA

View Full Version : Fully functioning linux laptop?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Salamancero
June 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I have satellite a100-s2211td running a celeron m 1.6ghz and express radeon x200M. Everything seems to work except that after running for a few hours, sound starts stutters and takes forever to clear up. A restart fixes that though. :)

royc
June 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I have an old ThinkPad R31 running 8.04. My only problems are browser-based (Flash never works? Ruby-on Rails/AJAX sites barely/rarely work? No idea...). Other than that, it's perfect out-of-the-box.

I've been browsing this forum because I want to upgrade. I have a MacBook as well, and I want to convert it, but when I did a test run of the installation, my touchpad wasn't working. It spooked me. Is that okay? I mean does it work once it's installed?

defenestratos
June 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
-my benq joybook r23 doesn't have network on return from hibernate or suspend. Since Dapper.
-Login window resolution is wrong and I can't fix it (Been with me since 8.01).
-Since 8.01 Desktop resolution detected wrong and hz rate unadjustable(Stuck at 0hz, which is impossible)

I use it anyway because it is very fast and I can do everything anyway. Feel a bit dumb when logging in in front of friends and not seeing what I am typing but there you are.

uweklosa
June 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
I use a Thinkpad T42 and have no problems at all besides that it's getting old :)

Uwe

Screwdriver0815
June 21st, 2009, 06:21 PM
I have a Lenovo 3000 N200 with Nvidia graphics (there are also some of these machines with Intel GMA out in the wild).

It works nearly perfect. Just with Intrepid Ibex it has a flicker-bug of the graphics driver and the cardreader does not work without additional work.

In Jaunty it works out of the box - everything works, except two FN-Buttons: FN + F5 and FN + F7 and the fingerprint-reader. And it also doesn't have the flicker-bug anymore.

Bachstelze
June 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM
I use a Thinkpad T42 and have no problems at all besides that it's getting old :)

Same thing with my Asus A6JM. There's a lot of stuff that I simply never use, so couldn't tell whether it's really working or not, though (suspend/hibernate, for example). So everything I use is working perfectly.

PaulClarke
July 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Hello,

I have two Lenovo R61e s and they both work very well I have them dual booted with XP (Linux does not have a functional replacement to MS Project). 9.04 worked so well that I moved them from Fedora.

The main difference was that the video GLXGEARs for F11 was mid 400s and for Ubuntu was mid 700 for the two gb one and mid 1100s for the four gb. The weak video performance is the only shortfall I have with thewse machines.

Ubuntu took about 1/8 of the time to set up compared to XP.

Well done

Paul

Pratt
July 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Acer 8930g with no sound, but I think I have to learn more about Linux before I can do anything with it! Any help offers for a complete beginner, please?

gjoellee
July 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Linux works great on my computer, but when it comes to Linux distributions it is only Arch, PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu that just works.

AlexDudko
July 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Old ASUS A9RPseries. Everything works (including wireless) except suspend and hibernate, though I don't use these functions.

Lateforgym
July 8th, 2009, 01:17 PM
How well it worked with my laptop is what push me to Ubunu.

Dell Latitude.

The only problem I had was getting You tube videos to work. This is a **** me off as non-laptops run into this also.

I have loaded Ubuntu on 4 different computers all have sound problems with You tube. Its the first thing I do when loading Ubuntu to deal with you tube not working. FIX IT!

KegHead
July 8th, 2009, 01:29 PM
works perfectly

KegHead

Dragonbite
July 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM
How well it worked with my laptop is what push me to Ubunu.

Dell Latitude.

The only problem I had was getting You tube videos to work. This is a **** me off as non-laptops run into this also.

I have loaded Ubuntu on 4 different computers all have sound problems with You tube. Its the first thing I do when loading Ubuntu to deal with you tube not working. FIX IT!

I have no problems with YouTube.

Kalex12
July 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
A shiny new HP Elitebook 8730w Quad core, 320 gig 7200 rpm, with Nvidia Quadro FX 2700M, DVD burner, standard wireless and blue tooth, 4 gigs mem. I am very proud but my wallet is very light now.

Running 9.04 64 bit

I had to do a quick fix on the audio {single file edit, that is posted else where in this forum} works good now.

The single Biggest problem is the DVD drive. It functions fine after the system is booted up and running in both Ubuntu and XP. But I can no longer boot from this device in either XP or in Ubuntu, the BIOS no longer sees it on boot. I have checked the bios settings multiple times, to no avail. I have noticed this behavoir on other laptops {Lenovo N200 series} I do have external CD drives that I use when I need to boot via a CD or DVD {It recognizses usb boot drives just fine}.

The video required a download from Nvidia {would be nicer if that was a more seamless process} but it works fine after install. I am working now to configure dual monitors at work {a little more complicated to get it to do exactly what I wish.}

I have not configured the fingerprint reader yet, not sure if I will or not under Ubuntu. This machine is also a dual boot into XP and I am trying out the fingerprint reader there.

Wireless network and Bluetooth both worked with no problems.

Even the fancy touch sensitive options control bar is functioning which impressed me!

The card reader works fine.

One Sideline note: The only challahge I had during setup was adjusting partition sizes to install Unbuntu, I used the Ubuntu LIVE cd to do what I needed.

Ubuntu ROCKS!:guitar:

zerhacke
August 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Generic IC Power laptop from Wal Mart about a year and a half ago.

Everything but the modem works which was broken on a kernel update. The onboard RT2500 wireless works out of the box but I blacklisted rt2500pci so that I can use my PCMCIA Airforce One card with ndiswrapper.

OldGnome
August 6th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 onto my Acer laptop. Everything seems to be working fine except:

- the monitor dims on an irregular schedule. I can immediately re-brighten the screen, but I haven't found the cure yet. I am also looking at a few other threads hereabouts discussing the same thing.

I am also having trouble with sound - however, I have spent the entire day using Sound Converter to convert my iTunes library, so I am going to wait before I call this a problem.

magmon
August 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I have two laptops running linux, and they work (mostly). The only thing is the graphics card is ATI, and therefor not supported by (x)ubuntu 9.04, so I can't do 3D stuff.

BslBryan
August 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM
HP DV6446us/2GHz AMD64 Turion Dual Core/2GB/nVidia GeForce 7150M/160GB/Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit

The Broadcom wireless chipset was very hard to configure, and the nVidia graphics card had some problems at first. Also, the internal mic was a mess, as well as the built-in webcam. The system sounds were hard to enable and caused me to lose a sound (login-ready "question" sound). Now, however, it is a stunning example of what is possible with an Ubuntu install. :-)

sjelliott
August 7th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Dell Mini 9, "out of the box" Mint installed on a USB pen drive run perfect complete with Compiz. Skype with working camera and microphone. Love to impress my friends who think I actually know something about computers.

stickystuff361
August 7th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Running Ubuntu 9.04 on an Dell Inspiron 1525 and as far as I know every-things working as it would on Windows Vista that it came with. Only problem being screen tearing with full-screen video not so sure about that.

DeadSuperHero
August 7th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I have a Compaq Presario r3000 with an AMD 32-bit processor, 512 Mb of memory, and an Nvidia Go 440 or something like that. For my wireless, I use a Netgear WGv3 511 via ndiswrapper.

Ubuntu works very well on this crappy laptop, and KDE 4.2.9 ran admirably on it, but some more RAM would make it far more suited to KDE.

Eventually, it'd be nice to get a more powerful laptop. It's nice to have a laptop at all, though!

SamJosRob
August 7th, 2009, 01:03 AM
As far as I know, the only thing that didn't work right away was the graphics card didn't work well. Downloaded the Nvidia driver and everything was set.

Another abnormality is a LED light that is blue when WiFi is on and orange when it is off. It worked that way in Windows. In Linux, when WiFi is on the light will flicker between blue and orange when wifi is on and either blue or orange solid when it is off. This doesn't bother me much because frankly I think it's groovy. :cool:

giggins
August 7th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I use a Dell Latitude D820 here at work. Its a Centrino Duo (Intel Core 2 Duo), 2GB of RAM, 200GB 7200 RPM Hitatchi HDD, using a Dell dock. It has a nVidia GeForce Go 7400 (512MB), with both the laptop display and an HP LP2465 running at 1920x1200 each (3840x1200 pixels in TwinView for X Screen 0). Uses an Intel 802.11abg wifi card (works great with kismet). I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and have ZERO problems. All keyboard function keys work, suspend / hibernate / resume work great. VERY FAST. Runs great.

lukeiamyourfather
August 7th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Lenovo ThinkPad X61 works with Ubuntu quite well. Only thing I've not got to work is the fingerprint reader. I'm sure there are ways of using it but haven't tried very hard. Cheers!

khelben1979
August 7th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Crashed harddrive on the powerbook. No more Linux on the laptop.

joelgsf
August 8th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I have a DELL Vostro 1510 with Jaunty AMD64 installed. It works fine, except that I cannot use the full features of the Intel GM965/GL960 Graphics Controller, which seems to have no adequate driver for it available till now.

Nburnes
August 8th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I have a Acer Extensa 5420-5038 with 9.10 Alpha 3 on it and everything is working fine.

ATI Radeon X1250 graphics even work better than in 9.04.

hobo14
August 8th, 2009, 06:58 AM
8.10 works great on my Toshiba Portege M500, didn't have to search for drivers online like I did for XP.

Fingerprint scanner doesn't work now, but haven't bothered trying to find a driver, because I never used it before anyway.

ryaxnb
August 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
in the past, linux has been iffy on my laptops. But i think that's resolved now, and my new EEE 901 proudly sports a fully-working linux install, except the webcam, which i haven't even seen if it works yet. :) Of course this machine was designed for linux, which is nice. I've had better and better luck on my other machines through the years. I'm pretty confident linux on laptops is now a mature and realistic proposition.

Liolikas
August 8th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Dell C 400 Pentium III 866Mhz 512 RAM Intel 915 video (2.8.0 drivers work, 2.7.* and 2.6.* versions have some problems) Intel audio, Lucent wireless. blue tooth over USB: Everything work.

JDShu
August 8th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Partially - Samsung q310 on 64 bit, 2.4 Ghz, Nvidia 9200 GS graphics card, 4gb ram

For the most part, its fine. However the brightness keys lock up the keyboard if pressed and apparently the computer doesn't like it when I have 4GB RAM as the acpi doesn't work unless I limit the memory in grub. Might be a problem with Samsung and not Linux though.

admiralspark
August 9th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I'm using a Compaq Presario V5000 (v5005us) that's a few years old, and everything is working great now! Specs:
AMD Mobile Sempron 2.0ghz
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
Broadcom 802.11 Wireless card (BCM 4318, worked after I used the guide on this site located in my sig)

Problems: wireless didn't work at first (common problem with that card). That's it, I think. Flash/Music/DVD playback etc all work. Games I haven't tested yet, but the ones I have should work no problem

Johii
August 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Every thing I use on my laptop works 100% I'm not sure about the card reader and the GSM/modem, but i cant get that to work under windows so..

Laptop Dell Latitude D620 - core2 Duo with Nvidia gfx

dawnlove
August 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I have 2 fully functioning laptops
#1 eeepc 1000 with xubuntu 9.04
#2 MSI x340 x-slim with 64g ssd hard drive upgrade
with crunchbang 9.04
maybe some hotkeys will need mapping ie: vol

Schendje
August 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I voted partially but there's only small things that don't work.

There's a fingerprint reader which didn't work "straight-away" but it's working, just not configured to login. I really don't care enough about it to configure it. :)

There's also the brightness keys (Fn+f9/f10). Both of them don't work, but this is due to the Nvidia driver, I believe. Pressing them shows the brightness notification, but the screen just doesn't change. I've got a work-around though!

The rest of the computer works great!

My laptop is an HP 8510w. A fine piece of technology. :)

frt975
August 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
My microphone doesn't work

J A Smith
August 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Partially. Acer Aspire 5720z.

Intel x3100 Graphics Accelerator doesn't work, and I can't find a HOWTO or thread that has fixed it.

Almost everything else works as far as I can tell, the function buttons (wireless etc.) don't work, but it's a minor issue. I tend not to use them anyway.

BigCityCat
August 9th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I have an HP dv9700. Everything works but it took some effort to get there. Also a person from this website.... chili something, hooked up with me on messenger and helped me fix my wireless. There wasn't a lot of info on the problem and I probably would not have gotten it working myself. I still don't even know what he did. It had something to do with adding a wl to the end of a file and I think he blacklisted a b4 something or other. lol He was really smart. It had something to do with broadcom driver. I would love to see a tutorial in case I have to do it again, because I pre ordered windows seven and I am afraid installing it will wipe out my kubuntu install.

As far as it goes everything else works. Of course I had to install the restricted extras and I can't get rythmbox to work on Kubuntu but that's not much.

kazuya
August 9th, 2009, 11:23 PM
asus X83vb - nvidia graphics dedicated card
Everything works great on this laptop.
bought it from best buy.

HermanAB
August 10th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I haven't found a Dell that doesn't work with Linux.

sandy8925
August 10th, 2009, 05:22 AM
My laptop works well with Jaunty. It's a Fujitsu C1321. The specs are :

P4 1.73 Ghz , 533 Mhz FSB
512 MB DDR2 RAM , 533 Mhz
Intel 910/915 graphics card

All the hardware worked fine without any problems including wifi. I think I might have had a problem with sound but don't remember.

I've got to mention that some of the desktop effects don't work smoothly (seeing as how it's an Intel graphics card and an old one at that). Actually the only thing that doesn't work smoothly is the Desktop Wall effect (or whatever it is that happens when you press windows + E )

pootle1
August 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Got an Acer Aspire 6930G in May. After a lot of troubles initially it now mostly works very well, only remaining issue now is WiFi performance is still rubbush - WiFi only works if I'm a couple of feet from the hub.

Graphics performance is good with the more recent nvidia drivers (originally installed the hard way, now available through envyng)

Sound took a bit of sorting out - but fetched more up to date alsa software and it all works well now (including the Tuba speaker which makes a big difference)

Have found that CF cards plugged into a Delkin expresscard adapter don't pick up unless I reboot although SD cards plugged into the the slot in the front work fine.

esata port also works really well.

Haven't used the webcam or microphone.

markbuntu
August 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Everything works on my aspire one running kuki linux with the new 2.6.30rc kernel.

Kuki is a jaunty remix aimed specifically at aspire ones. They are a very small group but are very focused and the result shines.

I think more of this sort of effort would be very beneficial for everyone and laptop/netbook users more specifically. UNR is good but I think they try to cover too much ground and so must make many compromises.

privatejarhead
August 16th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Toshiba Satellite L505
intel pentium t4200 2.0ghz
3gb ram
320 gb hard drive
intel gma4500
insydeh20 BIOS (urgh...)
vista home (main os) with ubuntu 9.04 (wubi - 30gb)

Wireless worked perfectly OOTB! =). Strangely, it broke my vista wireless after i rebooted and when i fixed that, ubuntu's wireless went out. this cycle repeated for the next 2 days after i installed ubuntu, but even since it never happened again. strange......

linux mostly works with my laptop, but a few problems:

java will not work. tried sun's download, ubuntu-restricted-extras, and some other codes. my linux will not run it. (not too important for me though, i would just like to have it if i need)

youtube vids in full screen are choppy (still trying to fix.....it's bugging me alot since i like to watch tv shows on there, like good eats :))

>>i dont think it is really ubuntu's fault, but im not sure<<
ubuntu recognizes my hard drive (duh), but i cannot access my files from windows (docs, pics, etc). it will see the windows os and the drivers for it, but not the program files, users, etc. this really kills me :(

the fan has problems running at times. for example, if i boot into ubuntu from a dead start (ie the computer is cold/room temp and hasnt been used in an hour or so), the system detects that the temp, but wont update itself. thats just my guess, but the result is that my laptop will overheat, forcing me to quit what im doing and shut down asap so that i dont melt the core :lolflag:. now, if i restart the computer soon after while the system is still hot, the computer recognizes that its HOT and will spin the fan at 100%, but will keep doing so throughout the entire time the computer is turned on. i did a bit of research on this and from what i found, it's something to do with the BIOS. seeing that i have a little known BIOS (i wish i had phoenix!!!!), i dont see a way around this major problem.

thats about it for my problems with ubuntu for the 2-3 weeks ive owned this toshiba. i love ubuntu and linux in general and i want it on my computer(s), but for now i cant really do anything except toy around with it for about an hour or two at a time.

also, ive heard something about ubuntu giving shorter charge times than oem installs. my toshiba is rated at 2 hours 30 minutes give or take with vista. not sure if i suffer from the lack of linux battery efficiency, but i might test it out later.

cmay
August 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM
my laptop is this one : http://www.linuxshoppen.dk/products.php?showvariant_id=6787
i got it six month ago and everything works out of the box on jaunty . (9.04)

tacantara
August 16th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Computer specs are in my signature

With a few minor tweaks I was able to get Ubuntu up and running nearly perfectly. I ran Compiz-Check and discovered why I occasionally still have problems with the higher-end eye candy stuff.

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04
Desktop environment: KDE4
Graphics chip: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
Driver in use: intel
Rendering method: AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap... [ OK ]
Checking for non power of two support... [ OK ]
Checking for composite extension... [ OK ]
Checking for FBConfig... [ OK ]
Checking for hardware/setup problems... [WARN]

Something potential problematic has been detected with your setup:
Warning: PCI ID 8086:2a02 detected.

Would you like to know more? (Y/n) y

Your particular graphics chip may be blacklisted on certain distributions.
However that does not necessarily mean you will not be able to run Compiz.

I run both GNOME and KDE DE's. I totally wrecked GNOME while trying to go extreme with the eye candy. I switched back to KDE and use it's settings (rather than Compiz) for the cool stuff. I still get the occasional "running to slow" message if I'm doing heavy-duty stuff, and compositing shuts down. Not a deal breaker though. I suppose I could upgrade the video card :-k

ZankerH
August 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I've got three laptops and they all work perfectly fine with GNU/Linux. I've got a Compal FL71 running Arch, an Eeepc 901 running eeebuntu, and an ancient IBM thinkpad (pentium 1, 128mb ram) running Damn Small Linux.

niteshifter
August 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I cheated :) It's a 1420n from Dell. Original OS was 7.10. Everything worked. First kernel update broke sound, but fixed by rolling back sound driver (instruction on Dell's site).

Upgraded to 8.04.1 via Update Manager - everything still works. And no more driver rollbacks needed. Now 8.04.3 and still A-OK.

Wireless adpater is Intel 3945. Nvidia 8400M GS for video w/ 1440x900 panel.

Richard9795
September 12th, 2009, 09:28 PM
My Eee PC is working fine, its just when it boots, the screen turns off. when it finishes booting, the screen turns back on, and lets me log in. But other than that, everything works.

Ubuntu 9.04; xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.8.1; Kernel 2.6.31

RabbitWho
September 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I have a
Dell Inspiron 1545
intel pentium Dual Core processor
intel integrated graphics card of some kind
4GB of ram

You can get it with almost any specs, and in some countries with Ubuntu, but not where I live. The default specs change every month.

It works perfectly with Ubuntu, I haven't had a single problem (that wasn't related to my own inexperience.

However with Kubuntu I suffered nothing but crashes and graphics glitches. :sad:

NormanFLinux
September 12th, 2009, 10:54 PM
No problems with my hardware. My Dell Mini 10's Poulsbo chip is not currently supported. Everything else on all my laptops work out of the box.

bodyharvester
September 12th, 2009, 10:57 PM
never had an issue

dell mini 9
1.6GHz
2GB RAM (upgraded from 1GB)
Intel GMA 950 (graphics media accelerator)
8GB SSD (solid state drive)

500GB external HDD which also works fine although its still NTFS from my Windows days

vodafone mobile(cellular) broadband thing built in - detected instantly upon first boot!
Ubuntu 9.04 jaunty, first i had desktop edition but now the netbook edition with Gnome desktop

NormanFLinux
September 12th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Winmodems are obsolete. All you need to connect on the road today is a wireless card and Linux can see the cards. The connection is more reliable and faster than with the old winmodems.

monkeyslayer56
September 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
fully functional Toshiba satellite A15 laptop with intel celeron CPU and Toshiba integrated wifi. runs a little slow but thats do to hardware not ubuntu

misfitpierce
September 12th, 2009, 11:25 PM
HP DV8315NR - Works 100%... ATI video card and AMD 64 Turion with remote and Broadcom wireless... Everything works 100% in Ubuntu Jaunty and worked in past 4 releases or so 100% fine.

chriskin
September 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM
as of karmic, the Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi 2428 works perfectly
till Jaunty, sound and camera were problematic
in Jaunty, sound was fixed but not the camera
Karmic fixed the camera problem as well

Tamalin
September 13th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Lenovo z60t: working flawlessly.
2GB RAM, 100GB HD

sgosnell
September 13th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Asus EEE PC 900, Ubuntu 9.04, Linux 2.6.30 kernel. Previous kernels didn't completely work, but the .30 version does. As far as I can tell, everything works as well as the original Xandros, if not better.

Philip550c
September 15th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I have the netbook Gateway lt3114u http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9396824&type=product&id=1218099043959.
Installation of the newest OS is a little annoying but Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) 64bit installs very easily. After adding the backports the wifi works (switch and all). The camera works, everything works except the microphone but since I dont care I have not tried to fix it. The 3d card works and with the 64bit version it is much faster than vista which it came with (dual booting now). Its a nice little netbook since it has a ati card, amd 64, 250gb harddrive and 2 gb of ram. I recommend it to anyone looking for a little bit larger and more powerful linux netbook.

Dragonbite
September 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
My issues, so far, I believe are hardware issues yet I managed to install Ubuntu 9.04 on a Thinkpad T40 and have wireless and such working out-of-the-box.

I haven't tried Suspend or Hibernate yet (partially related to hardware issues).

Random-Dude
September 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Toshiba satellite 2410. Everything did work until I &quot;upgraded&quot; the nvidia driver. I uninstalled it & everything is fine now. The media player buttons on the front never worked on xp & they're fine now. I also had a black stripe down the right side of the screen with xp & the only way to get rid of it was to revert to sp2. The only time I've seen the black stripe on Ubuntu was when I was installed the nvidia driver. I've just realised from a completely unrelated conversation that the &quot;fn&quot; button doesn't seem do anything but I'd never noticed the button was there before so I'm not sure if it worked with xp or not. Overall I'm massively impressed with Ubuntu, before I installed it all I'd heard was that you have to be a computer expert to be able to use Linux. I've found the opposite is true, things that I had to play with in xp to get working &quot;just work&quot; with Ubuntu which I feel is proven by the fact that I've been using it for about 3 months & this is my 1st post in these forums.

keplerspeed
September 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Eee PC 701SD. Everything works out of the box. Wireless, hotkeys, intel graphics. Standard 9.04, not UNR.

dmglouis
September 15th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Toshiba A305-S6864. Almost everything works. The video card drivers (ATI Radeon HD3470) do not work for hi-def video being played from the computer, though online flash videos work well.

Also, the wireless card (Atheros AR928X) does not have a very robust driver. It drops connection constantly, especially when connected to a WPA network.

ChrT
September 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Compal IFL91, all hardware recognised and working perfectly in Arch, Debian and Ubuntu
Eee pc 901, vanilla ubuntu and debian kernels don't support the wifi and bluetooth. Arch works perfectly, Eeebuntu works perfectly out of the box.

ve4cib
September 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I've got two laptops...

Toshiba Satellite A70
Vote: Mostly-working (and been in that state since 5.04)

Specific Issues:

1- open-source ATI drivers (for the video card) aren't great; 3d apps (games, compiz) are choopy at best and unusable at worst. The old proprietary ATI drivers (from Dapper-era) were solid though. I'm sure with more tweaking and such I could make it better, but the machine's been largely reduced to "auxilliary server & general-purpose family machine" that I can't be bothered

2- SD card reader does not work. I don't recall the manufacturer, but it's never, ever worked. And last I checked the manufacturer does not make a Linux driver, and no one's bothered making an open-source one that I've found

3- CPU frequency scaling used to go from 400MHz all the way up to 3.5GHz. A year back (give or take) something happened and now the slowest the CPU will go is about 1GHz. Might be a hardware fault; nothing I've tried can give me my super-slow frequencies anymore. This results in the machine running loud and hot, even when idle. I've taken to simply killing X and using it as a CL-system most of the time just to keep the fan noise down.

All in all the A70 is a piece of crap computer I would never buy again. But Ubuntu mostly works on it.

HP Pavillion dv6000ca-series, 64-bit
Vote: Works completely (and has been since about 7.04)

Not much to say other than everything (including the microphone, webcam, SD card reader, Broadcom wi-fi, and nVidia GPU all work as I would expect them to. nVidia could maybe make better drivers, but I can play Urban Terror, D2X-XL, Dawn of War (w/ Wine), and run Compiz with no difficulties. Might need to get more RAM though (1GB standard); Compiz + background/tray apps + Docky + assorted daemons can make it pretty sluggish to change apps sometimes.

acorey
September 15th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I have an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC dv2000 laptop. I just loaded Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty and I couldn't be happier.

I tried 64 bit about three years ago and couldn't get wireless, video, or audio working properly. So I used the Feisty 32 bit instead. Even with that, I spent hours and hours, days really, of hair pulling and gnashing of teeth to get everything working properly.

I have some time on my hands (devils playground) and decided to bite the bullet with Jaunty. That was last night at about 7:30 pm. Being fully prepared to spend at least a couple of days fighting. To my great surprise, I had wireless working and most of the apps I use installed. Firefox had flash and plugins. By this morning I had Virtual Box installed and migrated my settings and drives over from my old /home backed up on a usb drive. It was WAY too easy. Amazing! Fully converted over to 64 bit and mostly pain free!

I really am amazed and glad to see Ubuntu has turned a corner. Windows and OsX at this point are not any easier to deal with IMO. At least for the medium to medium-advanced user. A beginner would be boned anyway no matter what platform he/she uses. With Ubuntu/Linux, at least it's free and they stand to learn something useful.

Thank you Ubuntu, and Ubuntu community for doing such a great job on this release!

Firestem4
September 15th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I have a Dell XPS M1210 and everything works perfectly. I have never tried the bluetooth though so I can't say anything about that.

Running Kubuntu 9.04

balingupjer
September 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
All running well here, except a few custom buttons toshtools hasnt picked up.

Toshiba Portege M700 Core 2 duo 2.4 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, Wacom 12" touchscreen (needed Wacom tools and setup rotate screen button, , SD Card Reader, Firewire (needed a bit of work in term) Webcam, Mic, onboard Wireless Broadband (sim card - have Vodaphone prepaid in Australia - needed to recompile for that Modem!!)

Zoot7
September 18th, 2009, 07:18 PM
My Dell XPS M1530 has ran like a champ with Ubuntu since day 1.
First thing I did was boot up the Gutsy liveCD and wipe the Vista partition, didn't even boot into it once. :p

The only issues I ran into were nVidia related, but using a slightly older driver cleared that up for me.

bhishan
September 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Dell Inspiron 1525
Everything works, except for the faulty Intel driver.

ronrut
September 19th, 2009, 04:27 AM
HP Pavilion dv 9000. Don't know about the IR port; never used it anyway. Installed vendor drivers for Nvidia and wireless (b43). Lost the use of the F11 key to boot into recovery for Vista, but grub automagically put a choice for that into its menu.

Ron

LostInHelix
September 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Works MOSTLY. I have an acer Timeline 5810TZ laptop. Everything works, save for the Mic, Webcam, and HDMI output. Under Windows this laptop was advertised to get 8 hours, and did, actually a bit over with wireless off (on Windows 7 RC), and about 6 hours as I normally used it. Ubuntu, it lasts maybe 2 and a half or 3, still pretty good.

I have not yet looked into the problems I have, I never use the mic, and rarely the webcam so it's not necessarily important to me. The HDMI not working kinda sucks, but I need to look into it still :)

bikodog
September 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Laptop 1 - Dell D830 - Puppy Linux installed to external USB drive (work pc)

Laptop 2 - Toshiba A65-S1762 - Xubuntu dual boot with wubi

Docaltmed
September 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
HP TX2500 (tablet PC). All the bells and whistles:

Automatic screen rotation? check
Compositing? check
Handwriting recognition? check
Networking? check
Video/audio? check (even Skype!)

This is a production computer, it is used all day, every day, in a busy clinic. It rocks!

Pen and touch were initially a PITA, and still are a bit, as I have to recompile the wacom driver every time a kernel update comes out. Other than that, frankly, I like Ubuntu handwriting recognition (Cellwriter) much better than the bloviated interface that came with Vista.

And I will never ever never ever buy another computer with ATI graphics. The whole fglrx/radeon thing is a bit of a train wreck, mostly, as I understand it, because of ATI's recalcitrance.

Kudos and humble thanks to some amazing participants on this forum (Favux comes to mind) who provided me with the insight and direction to get it all up to speed.

Even with the hiccups, I can safely say that moving to Linux was one of the best business decisions I have made.

gfxfreak
September 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
HP Compaq 6710b here

Everything works as expected, including fingerprint reader

raineater
September 30th, 2009, 02:51 AM
HP Dv9005ca, AMD T64 running Jaunty.

Issues - I've heard that most will be fixed with Karmic Koala...
= syndaemon can't seem to find the touchpad
= integral webcam - nothing works with it
= multi-reader doesn't handle xD cards

That's about it. I think the 32 bit version would solve the first two issues.

ssri
September 30th, 2009, 05:24 AM
works partially/mostly:

HP Compaq 6910p:
Running Kubuntu Jaunty, KDE 4.3.1

audio: check (after ripping out the horrendous pulseaudio that came with medibuntu and reinstalling alsa)

video: check (after downgrading to xserver 1.5.2 and installing catalyst 9.3)

compositing: check (after installing compatible proprietary drivers for my card. The opensource ati drivers that came with jaunty, or the ones checked out from git, had redraw bugs when moving menus around, unacceptable)

suspend/resume: nope (when the weather is right or when I'm feeling lucky. Translation: a crapshoot)

freezing: every once in awhile when playing an audio file. Again, this is unacceptable.

multimedia experience: horrific out of the box. Installing mediabuntu was a snap, especially since I've done it before. However, the rest was poor. Amarok 2.x was just plain bad, so I had to install 1.4.10. FLACs did not work with the xine engine due to a regression, so I had to downgrade it to intrepid's version. MPlayer froze constantly, taking down X along with it until I installed a svn build from a ppa *sigh*

Hardware peripherals: Printer support has been excellent mainly due to the fact that my laboratory uses HP printers exclusively.

Office productivity: Fair, as openoffice replicated most of the functionality of MSOffice 2003. However, when sharing documents from my research group who uses MSOffice 2007, Openoffice rendered data graphs incorrectly. Thus, it disrupted collaborative projects. Again, for my interests, this was unacceptable. In addition, I had to resort to using foxit in wine in order to read and markup scientific papers due to lack of column recognition/support (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=161324), a problem that is further exacerbated by the rude maintainer, and the fact that acrobat-gtk is extremely sluggish in a qt environment, duh.

X1R1
September 30th, 2009, 05:52 AM
At first the cd drive didnt work on my aspire 5810TZ, but after updating ubuntu just after I installed it it worked great.

Only thing that does not work at all is the Crystal eye webcam, would be glad if someone could help me out with this.

zeroseven0183
September 30th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I'm using HP Compaq nc6400 (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06b/12139188-12139280-12139280-12139280-12434660-12401288-77983407.html) with fingerprint sensor that does not work.

Any help will do.

icelord
October 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Laptop1:
Lenovo S9, Atom270,2gb ram,160hdd,GMA950, intel 5350 wifi+wimax

Laptop2:
HP Mini 311, Atom270, 3Gb ram, 160hdd. Nvidia ION, 7G :) (Intel 5150 wifi+ 4G wimax + Sierra 3G mini pci-e modem)

all runs with Karmik, all works (except not-100% battery support at mini - can't read present discharge rate)

bkuhns
October 29th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Dell Inspiron 1545. Works beautifully in Ubuntu 9.10 AMD-64. I've been stuck on a Compaq C300 laptop for the last 3 years that had ACPI issues that wouldn't allow Suspend to work. Now everything works great on my Inspiron without a hitch, I love it! :D

afeasfaerw23231233
October 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Hasee Fu417/F1600. There's no 3D driver for the integrated graphic processor Mirage 3+ (chipsets SiS M672). As far as I know SiS doesn't provide any linux drivers for their graphic products. I installed the 2D driver with the help of this forum.

Lord Stig
November 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM
I voted "Linux works completely with my laptop-I will post my hardware specifics" b/c, AFAIK, the only thing that's not working is the MS card reader, but there's no kernel support for them yet, so everything is ok.

Exactly the same for me.
Curious to know when there will be this support... ???

frprovis
November 2nd, 2009, 02:49 AM
Dell mini10v running Karmic 9.10.

Pulseaudio was causing all sorts of problems with Jaunty 9.04, but these appear to be completely fixed in 9.10. And there are all sorts of other things that work better. I'm quite impressed. My original intention with Ubuntu was just to install it on a small partition and only use it for a few programs that weren't available on WinXP. But now that karmic is working so well, I changed my mind and put WinXP on the small partition and am going to use Ubuntu for most of my work. (Can't get rid of WinXP since I still have some apps that don't run under Wine.)

Only problem was that the Broadcom 4322 driver (STA driver package) was not part of the .ISO download. So I couldn't use wireless until the hardwire drivers applet downloaded that package using a WIRED connection. In other words, it would be impossible (given my low level of linux expertise) to install Karmic using just a wireless connection. This is an issue for me since I might have to cancel my cable service to save money and hence my only connectivity will be wireless, unless I can find someone with a wired connection to borrow while doing my next upgrade.

Fife3951
November 7th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Problem free with Karmic on both HP Pavilion DV2500t and an HP Pavilion DV4-1143cl.

HP DV4-1143cl:
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800@2.0 GHz
4 gigs RAM
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express chipset

HP DV2500t:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7100@1.8GHz/2MB L2Cache
2 gig DDR2 RAM
NVidia graphics

I had sound issued which were both solved due to the sound auto-shutting off on the notebooks to save power. Both are now flawless.

rapha
November 11th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I voted "works fully" and I have a ThinkPad T61 with Intel graphics. TBH I don't really know about the fingerprint sensor as IMO stuff like that is the devil's right hand and have thus disabled it in the BIOS but read somewhere that it works if one wants to use it.

The really cool thing about this laptop is that you have *everything* working right out of the box. No driver installations, no nothing. Originally it had Vista Professional Edition on it which lasted about 3 hours after which my curiosity was satisfied and it was wiped off the harddrive. And boy, was the "Add/Remove Software" list full of things, including drivers. I'm pretty convinced no casual computer user would have been able to install Vista on this laptop without "expert" help.

(Ubuntu 9.04 up until two days ago and now 9.10 - both work like a charm)

beefjerkymonster
November 11th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm using an Asus F50SV-X1, everything works perfectly!

There was one small issue I had with the wifi hardware. It worked out of the box, but with some connection issues, all I had to do to fix it was install some kernel module package (like backports or something), don't remember for sure what it was though.

But it's very relieving, because I couldn't find any Ubuntu users using this laptop when I bought it.

McMichael96
November 11th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Ubuntu works 100% my specs are 4GB RAM and Intel Dual-Core 2000 MHz Intel Integrated card

Nexus6
November 11th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I have a Lenovo R400 ThinkPad and so far so good. The only thing i wish was better is the battery savings, power management and stuff like that.
When i ran the preinstalled windows the battery lasted much longer, so if someone have tip to fix that i would be glad.

mudguts
November 11th, 2009, 11:47 PM
MDG (a.k.a Microstar INTL) Visionbook 17"
Dual-Core 1.66ghz
2GB ram
120GB SATA ii

9.10 works.
wireless worked out of the box
DVD player required some tweaking
DVD burner, haven't tested yet.
SUSPEND DOES NOT WORK!!!!

but it's certainly livable!

coldReactive
November 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
- ThinkPad T41 -
1.6 GHz Celeron Processor (Single Core Pentium M.)
512 MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon FireGL 9000 (No longer listed on the ATI Website)
40 GB HDD (ATA)
CD-RW/DVD Read Drive

----
Problems:

Flash can't run with full resolution at full screen. Have to set monitor to 1024x768 and use a webkit browser such as midori. DO NOT use Kubuntu, it won't work, the graphics glitch, etc.

Setting to 1024x768 causes the following problems:
-- HV Expansion Enabled: Dead Pixels form a 3 pixel width blue line that goes from top to bottom of the lcd on the right side.
-- Without HV Expansion: A thin line of dead pixels forms at the very bottom, 1 px in height and goes from left to right.

Function Keys (Most of them) Do not work at all.

Audio will not play out of the box in 9.10 (In 5.10 however, it will) to work around this, press the volume up button at the top of the keyboard, if this button fails and you have to reinstall, you will NEVER get audio to work in new releases.

May not be able to connect to any wireless networks that force certain authentication (IE: iMacs) (Need to be able to turn off IEEE Auth.)

None of these problems exist in windows of course, with the appropriate drivers.

ubuntu-freak
November 12th, 2009, 12:03 AM
No problems here. My laptop is a Lenovo N500 3000, with an Intel X4500 GPU and Intel WiFi Link 5100 WNA.

nishant.singh28
November 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Studio 1555 : No problems at all-just a small change in the grub configuration to enable brightness control keys but that's all...sound works out of the box, ATI propreitary driver is fine..

mwalimu54
November 12th, 2009, 12:21 AM
My only issue is (and has been from day one) suspend/hibernate.

23dornot23d
November 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I have a Acer Aspire Laptop 1355 LC ....... everything works great with Kanotix .... as my OS

I have a Acer Aspire Laptop 7730 ZG ....... evertyhing works great on UBUNTU 9.04 except sound
which works fine once the latest ALSA conf is added and run ..... (webcam and mic are a problem)
but never use ...

subdivision
November 12th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I run Arch on an Asus 701 EEE Pc (4G).

Everything works.

rapha
November 12th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Hadn't thought of suspend/hibernate when I wrote my post ... that one is interesting indeed as I haven't owned a box to date (either desktop or laptop) where suspend/hibernate worked properly. I've pretty much considered this broken in Ubuntu ever since Warty Warthog, if anybody remembers the old fella :D ... actually to a point where I don't even bother checking if it works when a new release comes out. Usually after some weeks you'll press the button for it by accident and notice it's as broken as ever. Kinda sad though...

perspectoff
November 12th, 2009, 02:32 AM
HP G60-440US

Using Kubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10.

Everything working perfectly:

Built-in Webcam/mic (with Skype 64-bit for Linux)
Wireless with Network Manager (autodetects connections and connects quickly)

All graphics
Power options

I love this laptop with Kubuntu! It came with 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium (free upgrade to Windows 7), but the 64-bit Kubuntu flies in comparison!

Windows Vista SP2 still froze intermittently.

Jaunty Jackalope's Network Manager didn't work so well with it, but since upgrading to Karmic, it's perfect!

samh785
November 12th, 2009, 02:58 AM
it works perfectly, but that's because it's a system76 Pangolin Performance (panp6)

Windows Nerd
November 12th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Mine works perfect, albiet with some tweaks. Suspend/Hibernate: It hardly every has worked out of the box, but with some tweaks kindly given to me by a certain user, it works great now. Sound just worked, geven the problems some have. All the keys work, and everything but my built-in card reader works (which apparently is yet to be supported by Ubuntu, but this is not a bother as I never have to use the reader anyways). That and bluetooth, which it apparently has (it has a manual for it and a hardware switch for it) but it never worked even back when I used Windows the day I got my laptop. I understand that the bluetooth not working is a hardware fault, as the display LED does not turn on when I try to turn bluetooth on, as compared to it being Linux's problem.

If anyone wants to know how I fixed suspend/hibernate, I made a guide here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1242156).

Scott

loudog23
November 12th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Fully Working :P
Toshibe Tecra 8100
600mhz, 512mb ram.
Ubuntu Server 9.04 + Gnome & some stuff to make it look good. (using less than 100mb ram :D )
pcmcia card for wireless connection using wicd
usb port functional

I don't recommend it to people with recent computer since this istall might be lacking hardware support for recent technoligies. but here is my HOWTO: Minimal install + Gnome core + wicd :http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1281934

ventper
November 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM
compaq presario v5208TU,
intel mobile 945GM/PM/GMS 943/940GML
celeron M 410 @1.46GHz, 1.24G ram
Broadcom BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)
#! 9.04(solid!) and karmic kubu

slakkie
November 12th, 2009, 05:05 AM
eniac
description: Portable Computer
product: Latitude D630
vendor: Dell Inc.
serial: 7Y3204J
width: 32 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4
configuration: boot=normal chassis=portable uuid=44454C4C-5900-1033-8032-B7C04F30344A
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: 0KU184
physical id: 0
serial: .7Y3204J.CN1296187ECBF9.
*-firmware
description: BIOS
version: A13 (07/28/2008)
size: 64KiB
capacity: 1984KiB
capabilities: isa pci pcmcia pnp upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect int13floppy720 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb agp smartbattery biosbootspecification netboot
*-cpu
description: CPU
product: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 400
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.15.13
serial: 0000-06FD-0000-0000-0000-0000
slot: Microprocessor
size: 2001MHz
capacity: 2001MHz
width: 64 bits
clock: 200MHz
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx x86-64 constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority cpufreq
configuration: id=1
*-cache:0
description: L1 cache
physical id: 700
size: 32KiB
capacity: 32KiB
capabilities: internal write-back data
*-cache:1
description: L2 cache
physical id: 701
size: 2MiB
capacity: 2MiB
clock: 66MHz (15.0ns)
capabilities: pipeline-burst internal varies unified
*-logicalcpu:0
description: Logical CPU
physical id: 1.1
capabilities: logical
*-logicalcpu:1
physical id: 1.2
*-memory
description: System Memory
physical id: 1000
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 1GiB
*-bank:0
description: DIMM DDR Synchronous 667 MHz (1.5 ns)
product: HYMP112S64CP6-S6
vendor: AD00000000000000
serial: 02008032
slot: DIMM_A
clock: 667MHz (1.5ns)
*-bank:1
description: DIMM DDR Synchronous [empty]
physical id: 1
slot: DIMM_B
*-pci
description: Host bridge
product: Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 0c
clock: 33MHz
configuration: driver=agpgart-intel
resources: irq:0
*-display:0
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:27 memory:f6e00000-f6efffff memory:e0000000-efffffff(prefetchable) ioport:efe8(size=8)
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
physical id: 2.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:f6f00000-f6ffffff
*-usb:0
description: USB Controller
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
physical id: 1a
bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.0
version: 02
capabilities: bus_master
configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0
resources: irq:20 ioport:6f20(size=32)
*-usb:1
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
physical id: 1a.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.1
resources: irq:21 ioport:6f00(size=32)
*-usb:2
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
physical id: 1a.7
bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.7
capabilities: pm debug bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=0
resources: irq:22 memory:fed1c400-fed1c7ff
*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
resources: irq:21 memory:f6dfc000-f6dfffff
*-pci:0
description: PCI bridge
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1
physical id: 1c
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.0
capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=pcieport
resources: irq:24 ioport:2000(size=4096) memory:44000000-441fffff memory:44200000-443fffff(prefetchable)
*-pci:1
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2
physical id: 1c.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.1
resources: irq:25 ioport:3000(size=4096) memory:f6c00000-f6cfffff memory:44400000-445fffff(prefetchable)
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:1f:3c:b1:66:62
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 ip=194.134.63.12 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
resources: irq:28 memory:f6cff000-f6cfffff
*-pci:2
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6
physical id: 1c.5
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.5
resources: irq:26 ioport:4000(size=4096) memory:f6b00000-f6bfffff memory:44600000-447fffff(prefetchable)
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
logical name: eth0
serial: 00:21:70:a5:35:ef
size: 1GB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.102 duplex=full firmware=5755m-v3.29 ip=194.134.32.189 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1GB/s
resources: irq:29 memory:f6bf0000-f6bfffff
*-usb:3
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
physical id: 1d
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
resources: irq:20 ioport:6f80(size=32)
*-usb:4
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
physical id: 1d.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.1
resources: irq:21 ioport:6f60(size=32)
*-usb:5
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
physical id: 1d.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.2
resources: irq:22 ioport:6f40(size=32)
*-usb:6
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
physical id: 1d.7
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.7
resources: irq:20 memory:fed1c000-fed1c3ff
*-pci:3
product: 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
physical id: 1e
bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.0
version: f2
capabilities: pci bus_master cap_list
resources: ioport:5000(size=4096) memory:f6a00000-f6afffff memory:40000000-43ffffff(prefetchable)
*-pcmcia
description: CardBus bridge
product: Cardbus bridge
vendor: O2 Micro, Inc.
bus info: pci@0000:03:01.0
version: 21
capabilities: pcmcia bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=yenta_cardbus latency=176 maxlatency=5 mingnt=192
resources: irq:19 memory:f6a00000-f6a00fff ioport:5000(size=256) ioport:5400(size=256) memory:40000000-43ffffff(prefetchable) memory:48000000-4bffffff
*-firewire
description: FireWire (IEEE 1394)
product: Firewire (IEEE 1394)
physical id: 1.4
bus info: pci@0000:03:01.4
configuration: driver=ohci1394 latency=64
resources: irq:19 memory:f6aff000-f6afffff memory:f6afe800-f6afefff
*-isa
description: ISA bridge
product: 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller
physical id: 1f
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
capabilities: isa bus_master cap_list
*-ide:0
description: IDE interface
product: 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller
physical id: 1f.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.1
logical name: scsi0
capabilities: ide bus_master emulated
configuration: driver=ata_piix latency=0
resources: irq:16 ioport:1f0(size=8) ioport:3f6 ioport:170(size=8) ioport:376 ioport:6fa0(size=16)
*-cdrom
description: DVD reader
product: CDRW/DVD GCCT10N
vendor: HL-DT-ST
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: A104
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
*-medium
*-ide:1
product: 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller
physical id: 1f.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2
logical name: scsi2
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: ide pm bus_master cap_list emulated
resources: irq:18 ioport:6eb0(size=8) ioport:6eb8(size=4) ioport:6ec0(size=8) ioport:6ec8(size=4) ioport:6ee0(size=16) ioport:eff0(size=16)
*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: ST980310AS
vendor: Seagate
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: DE04
serial: 5ST045RD
size: 74GiB (80GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=f6c5f6c5
*-volume:0
description: EXT3 volume
vendor: Linux
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,1
logical name: /dev/sda1
version: 1.0
serial: e4510d0b-62e9-4f5b-9e2e-255c34a0c48f
size: 62MiB
capacity: 62MiB
capabilities: primary journaled extended_attributes ext3 ext2 initialized
configuration: created=2009-10-27 23:46:26 filesystem=ext3 label=grub modified=2009-11-11 23:23:25 mounted=2009-11-11 22:46:58 state=clean
*-volume:1
description: EXT4 volume
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,2
logical name: /dev/sda2
logical name: /
serial: ec8ce521-7f42-481b-981c-36357abf559c
size: 8001MiB
capacity: 8001MiB
capabilities: primary journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover extents ext4 ext2 initialized
configuration: created=2009-10-28 22:22:26 filesystem=ext4 lastmountpoint=/P7��}��������ʼn��>���M�G5��-��>��!��!��}���>��>��uP modified=2009-11-10 18:03:00 mount.fstype=ext4 mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,barrier=1,data=ordered mounted=2009-11-11 23:24:06 state=mounted
*-volume:2
physical id: 3
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,3
logical name: /dev/sda3
serial: fcdc06c1-729c-4991-817d-e7f94ce69dc6
capabilities: primary journaled extended_attributes large_files ext3 ext2 initialized
configuration: created=2009-11-01 15:34:59 filesystem=ext3 modified=2009-11-11 23:23:25 mounted=2009-11-11 22:46:56 state=clean
*-volume:3
description: Extended partition
physical id: 4
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,4
logical name: /dev/sda4
size: 58GiB
capacity: 58GiB
capabilities: primary extended partitioned partitioned:extended
*-logicalvolume:0
description: Linux filesystem partition
physical id: 5
logical name: /dev/sda5
capabilities: bootable
*-logicalvolume:1
description: Linux swap / Solaris partition
physical id: 6
logical name: /dev/sda6
capacity: 2000MiB
capabilities: nofs
*-logicalvolume:2
physical id: 7
logical name: /dev/sda7
logical name: /var/log
capacity: 298MiB
configuration: mount.fstype=ext3 mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=continue,data=wri teback state=mounted
*-logicalvolume:3
physical id: 8
logical name: /dev/sda8
logical name: /opt
capacity: 1498MiB
configuration: mount.fstype=ext3 mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=continue,data=wri teback state=mounted
*-logicalvolume:4
physical id: 9
logical name: /dev/sda9
logical name: /home
capacity: 47GiB
*-serial UNCLAIMED
description: SMBus
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller
physical id: 1f.3
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3
resources: memory:f6dfbf00-f6dfbfff ioport:10c0(size=32)
*-battery
product: DELL NT37789
vendor: Sanyo
slot: Sys. Battery Bay
capacity: 52000mWh
configuration: voltage=11.1V
*-network DISABLED
logical name: vboxnet0
serial: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes

recluce
November 12th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I have a Dell Latitude D830 with the following specs:

2.2 GHz Core2 Duo
4 GB RAM
NVidia Quadro NVS 140 Graphics
Intel 3945 ABG WiFi
Toshiba Bluetooth
Dell D/Dock

Ubuntu 9.04 x64

Laptop is fully functional. Only the modem would require a commercial driver, which I didn't bother with - I haven't used the modem in more than a year anyway...

Beware if you have the Dell-branded Broadcom Wifi module. These may not work correctly under 64bit Ubuntu, but did work fine for me with the 32bit Dell Install DVD. Also, Intel chipset graphics might give you grieve under 9.04.

Ampi
November 12th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Acer Aspire One ZG5

I posted "Linux works completely with my laptop-I will post my hardware specifics" though my built-in webcam doesn't work.

Because the laptop is second hand, the webcam never did work, and after all I've tried it looks like it's a hardware problem. So it's not the fault of linux most probably :).

Neezer
November 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Well, I am mostly up and running, but I have an HP Pavilion dv6. I had sound problems to begin with (no sound), but now I have sound. The only problem that I have now is that my speakers on the laptop don't turn off when I plug in headphones.

I have a workaround going with alsamixer where I just turn the speaker volume to 0 when I plug in headphones, but it isn't working perfectly at the moment.

That is number 2 or 3 on my to do list.

Other than that everything worked great, including my wireless which I was worried about needlessly.

Странник
November 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Acer Aspire 5737Z

Everything works, except the internal card reader and the internal microphone

Windows Nerd
November 13th, 2009, 04:37 AM
eniac
description: Portable Computer
product: Latitude D630
serial: 7Y3204J
capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4
configuration: boot=normal chassis=portable uuid=44454C4C-5900-1033-8032-B7C04F30344A
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: 0KU184
serial: .7Y3204J.CN1296187ECBF9.
*-firmware
description: BIOS
version: A13 (07/28/2008)
size: 64KiB
capacity: 1984KiB
capabilities: isa pci pcmcia pnp upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect int13floppy720 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb agp smartbattery biosbootspecification netboot
*-cpu
description: CPU
product: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 400
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.15.13
serial: 0000-06FD-0000-0000-0000-0000
slot: Microprocessor
size: 2001MHz
capacity: 2001MHz
clock: 200MHz
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx x86-64 constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority cpufreq
configuration: id=1
*-cache:0
description: L1 cache
physical id: 700
size: 32KiB
capacity: 32KiB
capabilities: internal write-back data
*-cache:1
description: L2 cache
physical id: 701
size: 2MiB
capacity: 2MiB
clock: 66MHz (15.0ns)
capabilities: pipeline-burst internal varies unified
*-logicalcpu:0
physical id: 1.1
*-logicalcpu:1
physical id: 1.2
*-memory
description: System Memory
physical id: 1000
slot: System board or motherboard
*-bank:0
description: DIMM DDR Synchronous 667 MHz (1.5 ns)
product: HYMP112S64CP6-S6
vendor: AD00000000000000
serial: 02008032
slot: DIMM_A
clock: 667MHz (1.5ns)
*-bank:1
description: DIMM DDR Synchronous [empty]
slot: DIMM_B
*-pci
description: Host bridge
product: Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
configuration: driver=agpgart-intel
resources: irq:0
*-display:0
description: VGA compatible controller
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:27 memory:f6e00000-f6efffff memory:e0000000-efffffff(prefetchable) ioport:efe8(size=8)
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
physical id: 2.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
resources: memory:f6f00000-f6ffffff
*-usb:0
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
physical id: 1a
bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.0
resources: irq:20 ioport:6f20(size=32)
*-usb:1
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
physical id: 1a.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.1
resources: irq:21 ioport:6f00(size=32)
*-usb:2
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
physical id: 1a.7
bus info: pci@0000:00:1a.7
resources: irq:22 memory:fed1c400-fed1c7ff
*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
resources: irq:21 memory:f6dfc000-f6dfffff
*-pci:0
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1
physical id: 1c
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.0
resources: irq:24 ioport:2000(size=4096) memory:44000000-441fffff memory:44200000-443fffff(prefetchable)
*-pci:1
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2
physical id: 1c.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.1
resources: irq:25 ioport:3000(size=4096) memory:f6c00000-f6cfffff memory:44400000-445fffff(prefetchable)
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:1f:3c:b1:66:62
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 ip=194.134.63.12 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
resources: irq:28 memory:f6cff000-f6cfffff
*-pci:2
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6
physical id: 1c.5
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.5
resources: irq:26 ioport:4000(size=4096) memory:f6b00000-f6bfffff memory:44600000-447fffff(prefetchable)
*-network
product: NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
logical name: eth0
serial: 00:21:70:a5:35:ef
size: 1GB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.102 duplex=full firmware=5755m-v3.29 ip=194.134.32.189 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1GB/s
resources: irq:29 memory:f6bf0000-f6bfffff
*-usb:3
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
physical id: 1d
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
resources: irq:20 ioport:6f80(size=32)
*-usb:4
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
physical id: 1d.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.1
resources: irq:21 ioport:6f60(size=32)
*-usb:5
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
physical id: 1d.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.2
resources: irq:22 ioport:6f40(size=32)
*-usb:6
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
physical id: 1d.7
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.7
resources: irq:20 memory:fed1c000-fed1c3ff
*-pci:3
product: 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
physical id: 1e
bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.0
version: f2
capabilities: pci bus_master cap_list
resources: ioport:5000(size=4096) memory:f6a00000-f6afffff memory:40000000-43ffffff(prefetchable)
*-pcmcia
description: CardBus bridge
product: Cardbus bridge
bus info: pci@0000:03:01.0
version: 21
capabilities: pcmcia bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=yenta_cardbus latency=176 maxlatency=5 mingnt=192
resources: irq:19 memory:f6a00000-f6a00fff ioport:5000(size=256) ioport:5400(size=256) memory:40000000-43ffffff(prefetchable) memory:48000000-4bffffff
*-firewire
description: FireWire (IEEE 1394)
product: Firewire (IEEE 1394)
physical id: 1.4
bus info: pci@0000:03:01.4
configuration: driver=ohci1394 latency=64
resources: irq:19 memory:f6aff000-f6afffff memory:f6afe800-f6afefff
*-isa
description: ISA bridge
product: 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller
physical id: 1f
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
capabilities: isa bus_master cap_list
*-ide:0
product: 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller
physical id: 1f.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.1
logical name: scsi0
capabilities: ide bus_master emulated
resources: irq:16 ioport:1f0(size=8) ioport:3f6 ioport:170(size=8) ioport:376 ioport:6fa0(size=16)
*-cdrom
description: DVD reader
product: CDRW/DVD GCCT10N
vendor: HL-DT-ST
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: A104
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
*-medium
*-ide:1
product: 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller
physical id: 1f.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2
logical name: scsi2
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: ide pm bus_master cap_list emulated
resources: irq:18 ioport:6eb0(size=8) ioport:6eb8(size=4) ioport:6ec0(size=8) ioport:6ec8(size=4) ioport:6ee0(size=16) ioport:eff0(size=16)
*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: ST980310AS
vendor: Seagate
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: DE04
serial: 5ST045RD
size: 74GiB (80GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=f6c5f6c5
*-volume:0
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,1
logical name: /dev/sda1
serial: e4510d0b-62e9-4f5b-9e2e-255c34a0c48f
size: 62MiB
capacity: 62MiB
capabilities: primary journaled extended_attributes ext3 ext2 initialized
configuration: created=2009-10-27 23:46:26 filesystem=ext3 label=grub modified=2009-11-11 23:23:25 mounted=2009-11-11 22:46:58 state=clean
*-volume:1
description: EXT4 volume
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,2
logical name: /dev/sda2
logical name: /
serial: ec8ce521-7f42-481b-981c-36357abf559c
capabilities: primary journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover extents ext4 ext2 initialized
configuration: created=2009-10-28 22:22:26 filesystem=ext4 lastmountpoint=/P7��}��������ʼn��>���M�G5��-��>��!��!��}���>��>��uP modified=2009-11-10 18:03:00 mount.fstype=ext4 mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,barrier=1,data=ordered mounted=2009-11-11 23:24:06 state=mounted
*-volume:2
physical id: 3
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,3
logical name: /dev/sda3
serial: fcdc06c1-729c-4991-817d-e7f94ce69dc6
capabilities: primary journaled extended_attributes large_files ext3 ext2 initialized
configuration: created=2009-11-01 15:34:59 filesystem=ext3 modified=2009-11-11 23:23:25 mounted=2009-11-11 22:46:56 state=clean
*-volume:3
description: Extended partition
physical id: 4
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0,4
logical name: /dev/sda4
size: 58GiB
capacity: 58GiB
capabilities: primary extended partitioned partitioned:extended
*-logicalvolume:0
physical id: 5
logical name: /dev/sda5
capabilities: bootable
*-logicalvolume:1
description: Linux swap / Solaris partition
physical id: 6
logical name: /dev/sda6
capacity: 2000MiB
capabilities: nofs
*-logicalvolume:2
physical id: 7
logical name: /dev/sda7
logical name: /var/log
capacity: 298MiB
*-logicalvolume:3
physical id: 8
logical name: /dev/sda8
logical name: /opt
capacity: 1498MiB
*-logicalvolume:4
physical id: 9
logical name: /dev/sda9
logical name: /home
capacity: 47GiB
*-serial UNCLAIMED
description: SMBus
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller
physical id: 1f.3
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3
resources: memory:f6dfbf00-f6dfbfff ioport:10c0(size=32)
*-battery
product: DELL NT37789
vendor: Sanyo
slot: Sys. Battery Bay
capacity: 52000mWh
configuration: voltage=11.1V
*-network DISABLED
logical name: vboxnet0
serial: 0a:00:27:00:00:00
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes

Could you tell me the command you used to find all this out?

Thanks,

Scott

buffalojr
November 13th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Running Beautifully. Only having one problem with Firefox and Java but no hardware issues

Dell Precision m6300
Intel Core2 x7900
4gb ddr2
Nvidia 256mb g84

Sven6210
November 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Asus EeePC 900a with

Atom 1,6 MHz
2 GB RAM (extended)
8 GB SSD
Atheros WiFi

Defiant Rat
November 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 and everything works perfectly out of the box, apart from desktop effects which was easily sorted by installing the ATI drivers, which was quick and easy. I'm new to Linux, and very impressed :D.

My laptop is a Toshiba L300D - http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&highlightOption=131600&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=1059357#0

cmay
November 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
output of lspci. my lappy works perfect with debian lenny and ubuntu from jaunty and up to karmic. other distros might not work and belenix and open solaris is too messy to deal with.
I had troubles with getting textbased installers to work but everything with hardware support and a graphical installer works. all things works out of box if systems installs when it comes to linux I think.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 671MX
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS968 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 01)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 191 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 02)
00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SATA Controller / IDE mode (rev 03)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
00:09.0 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Memory Stick Card Reader Controller
00:09.1 SD Host controller: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI SmartMedia / xD Card Reader Controller
00:09.3 FLASH memory: ENE Technology Inc ENE PCI Secure Digital / MMC Card Reader Controller
00:0f.0 Audio device: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Azalia Audio Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 10)

cwarner7_11
November 17th, 2009, 04:22 AM
A Toshiba Satellite 505, Intel dual core 64-bit,Intel 4 Series Chip Set, 3 Meg memory, 380 gig hard drive. Running 9.04 (32 bit) and 9.10 (64-bit). Everything worked from first boot. I have one application (Salome-MECA) that has been optimized for NVIDIA graphics that gives me an issue, but everything else works fine.

Cathhsmom
November 17th, 2009, 04:29 AM
The laptop itself works completely with Ubuntu 9.10. I have a Toshiba P205-6337. My HP TV tuner express card, not part of the laptop per say, does not work.

witeshark17
November 17th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Fully functioning Dell here. Credit to Dell; it was factory preloaded with Ubutnu 9.04 :popcorn:

Kojans
December 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
HP compaq nc6000 laptop; Ubuntu 9.10.
Everyting (As far as I tried it out!) is working; except wireless. Obiously the hardware is broken: didn't work in Windows XP, the led stays out when I push the button.
So now I'm trying to install wireless USB-adaptor (Linksys WUSB54GC-version3) which I'm still working on....

Greetings!

ok_dr
December 5th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Gateway M6848
Generally works well apart from not being able to use the microphone first only the internal one, now with Karmic the external also. Tried so many possible suggestions in the forums but haven't worked out. I use Skype daily so obviously a big issue for me.

crazyone
December 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM
i have a compaq presario f750us. everything works on it except for the 5in1 card reader. has to be at ubuntu 9.10 to get it working that much. only i dont really care for the way ubuntu is now setup sadly. i feel it has messed up big time in this release on the software side. but hardware acutely works for once.

winjeel
December 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
1. Dell Mini v10, shipped with 8.04 and Dell Ubuntu software kit. Cost: Priceless
2. Dell Latitude D520, installed on a partition after a few years with XP. Cost: a few bufferin for a couple of headaches months ago. Now, only the external microphone doesn't work, and the printer can't handle B5 paper.

Zoot7
December 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I've a Dell XPS M1530 with the Linux friendly options (Intel Wireless, nVidia GPU), and it's been pretty near flawless with Ubuntu and openSUSE for 2 years now.

Kimm
December 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Ubuntu works perfectly on my eeePC 1000HE

dkhajavi
December 6th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Alienware M17 (NVIDIA)

Sounds works
90% or keyboard (no WiFi on/off, speed control, brightness, light effects)
Can't engage NVIDIA drivers as it causes a black screen on boot.
Suspend and hibernate will not recover requiring a hard shutdown
9/10 boots are successful, others lock-up
Two to three times a week the computer locks during normal operation.
Once a week the wireless acts like the drivers are not loaded during boot
Battery use is accelerated with Ubuntu

The big issue for me is the NVIDIA drivers not working as it is like having a Ferrari with a Yugo engine!

OwNeD
December 6th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Linux works completely with my laptop-I will post my hardware specifics.

So far i have had no problems at all,everything works.

i use a HP PAVILION DV7 NOTEBOOK PC

opnickc
December 27th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I'm running an Averatec 2573

AMD Turion 64 x2 2GHz (TL-60 I think)
3GB DDR2
ATI Radeon X270

Everything runs out-of-the-box with Ubuntu with one exception. Audio works, but headphone out does not mute the internal speakers. That is, sound plays back through the speakers, and through the headphone jack, but there is no way to mute the internal speakers without also muting the headphone-out.

I have tried several guides for similar problems on other laptops (nothing specific to this machine) and those solutions always muted both speakers and headphones or neither. The only suitable workaround I've found (besides not using headphones or cracking the machine open and disconnecting the speakers) is to use an external USB sound card and disable the internal one. Not fun.

I think my next lappy will be System76. For now, I'm putting up with Win7 (for games) on my laptop and only using Ubuntu (for real work :P ) on my desktop.

[edit] I forgot to mention I also had some quirky power management issues. Sometimes the battery would show no charge when fully charged, sometimes the machine would think it was on AC power while on battery, and visa versa. This meant I got unwanted screen dimming and other power management features when plugged in, and no idea how much charge I had remaining when on battery. This, more than the headphone issue, is why I chose to stick with Windows on this machine. :(

My wife is running an older IBM Thinkpad, don't remember the exact model, but I know it's got a 1.6GHz Pentium (either 4 or m), a gig of RAM, and a Radeon 7000 series graphics chip (7500 maybe?). Everything works perfectly out-of-the-box with Ubuntu 9.04 :) (haven't updated to 9.10 yet. . . might just wait for 10.04).

wavery
December 27th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Two problems:
1. The laptop won't always come out of hibernation forcing me to do a hard re-boot.
2. When it does come out of hibernation, it won't find the wireless network (that it was using just fine before going into hibernation).

crimesaucer
December 27th, 2009, 06:00 AM
HP Pavilion dv9920us (cheap laptop from a year and a half back).

What doesn't work is:

1.) webcam's microphone
2.) BCM4322 pre-n (there are finally workarounds now)
3.) a couple of the multimedia keys (like the quickstart and dvd buttons)
4.) suspend and hibernate have issues. Suspend finally works for me with xfce4, but hibernate doesn't.

... I never tired bluetooth or the remote control that comes with it but I doubt they work. (maybe bluetooth?)

SchizmWolf
December 27th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Voted that it mostly works. I have only two problems, only one of which is my Kubuntu's fault (though, by proxy, my own as well) 1) sleep and hibernate won't work; it'll shut down but won't boot back up, will just initialize the disk but not the screen, and 2) my 3D graphics acceleration is shoddy for some programs, though I think that's cuz my laptop just kinda sucks.

Geezer60
December 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM
HP Pavillion dv6000 2 GB ram, pretty generic machine. Ran 9.04 dual with vista for 6 months, finally got brave enough to install 9.10 full format. I'm free of windows. (Except at work.)

Jekshadow
December 27th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Everything works, but the b43 driver keeps giving me a fatal DMA error with the 14e4:4315 chipset, so I am forced to use an external wifi adapter that uses the p54-usb driver, but that one drops the connection every few hours.

Ginsu543
December 29th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Dell Mini 9 and Vostro A90. Everything in Jaunty worked perfectly out of the box. I've since upgraded to Karmic on both machines and everything works in Karmic as well, although I've had to tweak/work around some issues. The only thing I have not yet been able to fix completely to my heart's content is minor hissing when recording through the built-in mic (for example, in Skype). The built-in mic worked flawlessly in Jaunty, but this may have to do with the default implementation of PulseAudio in Karmic over and against ALSA is Jaunty.

margazhang
December 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I am running Kubuntu 9.10 on Acer 3620 laptop and Linex Mint (based on Ubuntu but looks like Windows in appearance and functionalities) on a brand new Gateway NV54 laptop. Everything is OK except for wireless connections. In the case of Acer 3620, I had to install wicd via Synpaptic to replace Gnome Network Manager (NM) to connect it wireless right after a clean install. In the case of Gateway NV54, the NM worked in the beginning, but when I connected it through a network cable (wired connection) then the wireless network greyed out and would not let me pick any connections. So I had to install wicd via Synaptic to replace NM.

I wonder if Ubuntu (and all its variations Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Linex Mint, etc) can make wicd the default network manager, then we will have less issues with wireless connections.

Only when wicd does not work for some machines, then giving the choice to use another utility like NM. What do you think?

Khakilang
December 29th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Intel Pentium M 1.6Ghz, 512MB RAM, 20GB Hard disk, Intel graphic card built in and 14" LCD screen. Aztech wireless USB adapter.

Vignesh S
December 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Right, a fair bit of "Ubuntu on laptop" experience.

Dell Inspiron 1527: Everything works out of the box (didn't install it, but used it by LiveUSB).
4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Centrino (dunno about GHz though its probably >2.0GHz), Dell wifi card.

IBM Thinkpad R31: Everything also worked out of the box.
1GB RAM, Intel Celeron 1.06GHz, Atheros AR5BMB-44 wifi card,

Medion Akoya mini E1210: Everything but the wifi, webcam and microphone (the last 2 don't really matter though) worked, and being somewhat of a noob at Linux at that time, it took forever getting it to work, though I could probably get it working in 5 mins :-D

Toshiba Satellite T110/00D: Most troublesome of the lot, though not as bad as it could be. Wifi, Ethernet, screen brightness, microphone and webcam didn't work. Of these, got the first 3 fixed up.

avacado
December 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Dell inspiron 1520 4GB RAM Broadcom Wifi Ricoh Card reader
Dell laptops do not come with linux installed in australia, so I had to do it myself amid warnings from Dell that I had voided my warranty and future laptops will be hard wired for windows only.
The Ricoh card reader does not read SONY memory stick and the problem is a known bug with licensing from SONY the issue. Reads all other cards fine. I get around this by using the camera and cable.
The wi-fi switch drove me nuts but basically disables wireless if you switch it either on or off after boot.
Suspend resume button does nothing. Windows button does nothing. Media control buttons all work well.
Sometimes I would love to know more, but not sure how to learn- every search I make for support brings up that thread "How many of you have really switched to ubuntu?". Sometimes I just want convenience.

Dragonbite
December 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Good and bad news...

The good news is that when I installed Linux on my Dell D400, it detected my Broadcom wireless card out of the box and I was able to connect to the network even while I was running a LiveCD!

The "bad" news is that it was Fedora 12, which is using, from my understanding, OpenFWWF (http://www.ing.unibs.it/openfwwf/) which Ubuntu does not use.

Great thing is that it works even better than Windows does! I've had good, usable connections and haven't been dropped once yet! I think if Ubuntu started using it, I think I would come back to Ubuntu in a heartbeat!

ElevenWarrior
December 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Acer Aspire 6530
AMD ANthlon X2, 2.1ghz
Acer nplify b/g/n wireles (works fine, even supports packet injection!)
ATI HD Radeon 3200 mobile, (works great, has some problems with cairo-dock in OpenGL mode in ubuntu. BackTrack 4 works flawlessly)
the light up buttons on the top of the laptop work. (sound, play/pause/fastforward/rewind) all work. the internet button dosen't though. (turn of the wireless card)
The sound ports now all FINALLY work, (headphone, mic, SPDIF)
WebCam works, built in Mic works, HDMI port works,VGA port works, DVD works, LAN works, haven't tried eSATA yet, nor PCI port, nor modem.
everything else works fine.

Ibidem
January 1st, 2010, 01:50 AM
Working perfectly (at least what I use):
Acer Aspire One ZG5 (Xp version), 1.4 GHz Atom (dual core), 1 GB RAM, 160 gig HDD, webcam works, AR5007 wireless /ath5k (WEP & open+hidden essid tested) working fine, Realtek 8102E working, Realtek audio works, intel 945 graphics
Kuki Linux (Jaunty + 2.6.31 kernel) w/ Firefox 3.5 + Icewm + xpdf installed & tons of stuff (xfce, Thunar, Zim, epdfview...) removed.
Don't even have a flash card, so I don't know how that would work.
Web: I only have Shiretoko unofficial build, so it takes 1 trick--about:config, set
general.useragent.extra.firefox to Firefox/3.5.5
Kuki worked OOB, apart from Midori (crashes, no ftp...-->install FireFox)
By now, this is NOT Kuki linux.
Also working:
TinyCore Linux, AntiX (doesn't autoload ath5k)
So...
I'm happy.

Mahngiel
January 1st, 2010, 03:50 AM
Works partially- until i worked around:

fwcutter to install wireless drivers
can't use hibernate

peakpc
January 1st, 2010, 04:07 AM
Compac v5000 AMD Turion64 2.2, 2gb ram ATI Xpress200m. 9.04 works really good (with broadcom drivers for wireless) 9.10 has suspend/hibernate resume video black screen issues and broadcom drivers did not auto detect without tweaking. All of my Ubuntu issues from 7.04 seem to be either ATI or broadcom related. Almost time for a new laptop I think this time around I will stick with mainstream intel stuff for compatibility.

witeshark17
January 1st, 2010, 04:13 AM
No windows partition, everything works fine on my Dell 1545 :popcorn:

Revolutionary101
January 1st, 2010, 04:26 AM
I have a Sony Vaio FS500 with a Pentium M 1.6 GHz single core processor. My laptop has an Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Card. The sound card is an Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Card. Finally, my network card is an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG. I also have a Hitachi 80 GB hard drive and I have a total of 1 GB of RAM.

curioshop
January 1st, 2010, 05:59 AM
hibernate may still be a bit buggy, but wireless, suspend, and everything else work perfectly, though i had to install and configure kerberos myself.

Catboy~
January 1st, 2010, 08:55 AM
My Dell mini 10v works perfectly with linux because I opted for the "preinstall ubuntu on my computer" option.

Dragonbite
January 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Just put on 9.10 on my Dell Latitude D400, and a couple of things stand out.

Just like previous versions, most everything is detected out of the box, except for the Broadcom wireless. I wish Ubuntu would include the OpenFWWF (http://www.ing.unibs.it/openfwwf/) which Fedora 12 does.. makes Broadcom work out of the box and BETTER than Ubuntu's fwcutter OR Windows!! Haven't had it drop a connection yet.

Other than that, so far so good!

TnJ
January 10th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I have a Dell Latitude D610. Everything works fine except for the blutooth module. It will connect to my phone, but I get an error every time I try to browse it's files. The error says "The folder contents could not be displayed. Operation forbidden." Then Nautilus will seem to hang, and phone displays "Not supported by receiving device".

T

Maheriano
January 10th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Dell Studio 15, sometimes
- CD will constantly try to eject for 5 minutes straight but there's no CD in there. It's a slot load so it just keeps ejecting over and over and over.....
- Sometimes the volume up/down touch buttons above the keyboard aren't responsive but WATCH OUT! Don't keep hitting them because the next time you reboot it'll cache them all and you'll spend 15 minutes watching the volume bar spasm at the top of your screen.
- My keyboard still has Windows keys on it no matter how often I format and reinstall Ubuntu.

Dell D600 installed perfectly. Worked fine for me, sent it to my brother, 6 months later now he's complaining it's sloooooooooow. Very slow. He formatted and reinstalled Ubuntu twice, still slow. Otherwise great.

Maheriano
January 10th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I have a Dell Latitude D610. Everything works fine except for the blutooth module. It will connect to my phone, but I get an error every time I try to browse it's files. The error says "The folder contents could not be displayed. Operation forbidden." Then Nautilus will seem to hang, and phone displays "Not supported by receiving device".

TAre you with Verizon? They block the ObEX protocol in the bluetooth stack so ya, that's not going to work. Don't even try.

kyuubi777
January 10th, 2010, 07:09 AM
works flawlessly.. absolutely no issues

Lenovo 3000 N100

intel core 2 duo 1.66Ghz
ipw card
intel integrated graphics card
1G ddr2 sdram
3945 or so chip-set

Dark_Stang
January 10th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Linux works perfectly on my laptop.

Laptop Specs
Model: HP DV6636NR
Processor: AMD TurionX2 TL-58
GPU: nVidia 7150m (integrated)
Networking: nVidia hardwired, Broadcom BCM4311 wireless
Memory: 4GB DDR2 (was 2GB stock)
USB ports all work
Firewire port works
Card reader works
All media controls work
Webcam works (Suyin webcam)
Optical drive works
Suspend and hibernate both work
CPU throttling works.
SVideo and VGA out work
PCMCIA Express slot works
The only two things I have not tested are the dial-up modem and the expansion port, because I have no use for them.

Linux Specs
Started with Ubuntu Minimal and went from there. 7.10, 8.04, 9.04, and 9.10 all worked.

lawenlerk
January 10th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Mine's a Dell Studio Xps 1340.

this laptop has heat issues so the first two times it shutdown suddenly during installation of ubuntu.

after that, i placed my laptop under an air conditioner and it ran thru the whole thing.

wireless, sound, cd, media keys work well although u'll have to install restricted hardware drivers for wireless and graphic card (nvidia 9400m)

I had dell replace my heatsink once but temperature problems are still bothering me. now i run my laptop on a cooling pad and monitor the temperature constantly.

somehow windows 7 allows the laptop to run until 70+ Celsius but ubuntu (and other non-windows systems such as the dell diagnostic test cd) shutdown automatically at around 55-60 celsius. I know this isnt my thread but any idea why this happens?

shadow of the locust
January 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM
i have an acer aspire one a150l running fedora 12 and as far as i can tell, everything works completely.

sandyd
January 10th, 2010, 06:24 PM
<snip>
- Sometimes the volume up/down touch buttons above the keyboard aren't responsive but WATCH OUT! Don't keep hitting them because the next time you reboot it'll cache them all and you'll spend 15 minutes watching the volume bar spasm at the top of your screen.
<snip>.

if that ever happens, just shut down the computer and pull out the ac adaptor, and battery, wait for a while, then plug everything back in. ill then be fixed.
that happened with my media key thingy. It would occasionally simply non-stop light up and open a million rythmboxes....

Roasted
January 10th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I'm running a Dell Latitude E5500 at work. I have tested multiple distributions on it.

With the following distros, everything worked 100%, including wifi with WPA2 enterprise:

Kubuntu/Ubuntu 9.10
OpenSuSE 11.2
Mandriva 2010

I also tried Fedora 12. It seems as if Fedora 12 (being as bleeding edge as it is) uses plymouth at the boot screen, which no other distros have. It is often problematic with Intel video cards. It would hang for me at boot about 9/10 times I booted.

Despite Fedora 12 being in a constant "beta" stage it feels like since they test all new software, I figured it was worth noting. I'm sure by the time it gets fixed, other distros will pick it up too. But for the E5500, I had no issues.

I also previously ran a Dell Precision M4300 and I ran Ubuntu on it just fine with no issues.

if that ever happens, just shut down the computer and pull out the ac adaptor, and battery, wait for a while, then plug everything back in. ill then be fixed.
that happened with my media key thingy. It would occasionally simply non-stop light up and open a million rythmboxes....

It's also worth noting that while doing this method, you can also press the power button several times. By pressing the power button without AC power plugged in or the battery in, it will thereby drain the charge that the capacitors on the board might be retaining. I've had that method fix some very strange issues. Quick example: Vista on my rig was set to auto-hibernate after 1 hr, well it did. I couldn't get it turned back on. Power button was dead, etc. Had to pull AC power and hit power button 8-10 times. All was well then, and hibernation was disabled.

mamamia88
January 10th, 2010, 08:17 PM
the only thing that has never worked out of the box for me is wireless. and that is really easily fixed in most cases so yeah i would say it's possible. if you have a broadcom card try sabayon worked out of box for me

TnJ
January 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Are you with Verizon? They block the ObEX protocol in the bluetooth stack so ya, that's not going to work. Don't even try.

I am with Verizon, using an LG VX10000. So the D610 is perfect otherwise. :cool:

T

squilookle
January 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Toshiba Equium, 1.6ghz Pentium M, 512mb ram, 64mb ati radeon mobility graphics card, 70gb hard disc.

It works very smoothly with Linux. The only issues I have is that suspend and resume don't work on any distribution.

kay-man
January 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM
The laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6-2030SD.

Almost everything works, I just have 1 problem: no sound whatsoever.

The sound card is ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA), which it seems many people have problems with getting it to work in Linux. I've found some possible solutions, but I haven't tried them yet.

Most everything worked straigh away, I only had some issues gettin the card reader to work, which turned out to be caused by a BIOS setting.

I'm running Gentoo, by the way. I used to use kubuntu, but I've been unhappy since the karmic upgrade. But that's a different story...

TheNessus
January 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Fujutsu Siemens v6501 (or something)
everything works fine only with Karmic. in Jaunty you cannot reduce backlight.
Nvidia 8400 heats up to 70 MINIMUM all the time though, crappy card...

Cyberponcho
January 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Reporting a 100% Linux compatible HP nc4200 running Hardy LTS, the only issue is hibernating but i'll get around to it :-)
Hardware specs and install procedure are here. (http://cyberponcho.blogspot.com/2009/02/ubuntu-on-hp-nc-4200.html)

shuttleworthwannabe
January 11th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 with Hardy running strong on it. I have not configured the fingerprint scanner or the function hotkeys and don't use the IR port so I'm not sure if it works or not. Other than that, the system is fantastic!

What about the fan noise? I have Thinkpad X200--everything works fine out of the box (have not configured Fn keys and card reader yet). My fan runs at level 3-4 all the time even on idle. I have tried all sorts of solutions on the thinkpad fan control site, but alas, I was not successful. if you know a simple HOWTO (step by step), will appreciate the help.

sledge73
January 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Linux works perfectly OOTB with my IBM R51 laptop. No problems at all. :cool:

Groucho Marxist
January 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm running Ubuntu Linux 9.10 x86_64 on a System76 Pangolin Performance laptop with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.07 GHz CPU
8 GB RAM
GeForce G 105M Graphics Card

Dragonbite
January 11th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Are you with Verizon? They block the ObEX protocol in the bluetooth stack so ya, that's not going to work. Don't even try.

Is there any way around that? That may explain some things...

For the record, I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my Dell Latitude D400 Laptop and everything, except wireless, works out of the box.

While it detected the Broadcom wireless card running as a LiveCD, when I installed it the system failed to detect it under "Hardware Drivers". I had to "manually" install it (run the command myself).

I wish they would include OpenFWWF in Lucid so I don't have to worry about it again.

johnjust
January 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Lenovo Thinkpad SL500 Elite, Ubuntu 9.10 working great, not a single problem.

Of course, I had to play with it a little to get everything running perfectly (it doesn't have the "real" Thinkpad firmware, which I didn't know until after I bought it...), but most of that was back in Jaunty. Since I freshly installed Karmic, everything is perfect. I still see a lot of people having issues with Karmic, but I (seriously) didn't have a single problem.

In fact, even updating the kernel seems a lot easier (with Jaunty I would sometimes have to re-install the Nvidia drivers a couple times to get it to work, but with Karmic they work first time every time).

Occasionally running WoW will crash Compiz, but that's not a big deal at all.

DrHyde
January 11th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Why on my Gateway laptop, do I get a distorted,dual screen when I try to install 9.1. My Compaq laptop loaded without a single problem.
The Gateway has windows xp and I am trying to set up dual booting as I did on my Compaq.

Maheriano
January 11th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Is there any way around that? That may explain some things...
haha ya, get a Sprint phone!
I moved to the USA for a year and first got a phone with Sprint because it's not locked up but just could not stand the terrible service so I ended up switching to Verizon within the 30 days and just as I suspected, it was disabled to old hell. As far as I know, there's no way around it unless you get some sort of crack/hack for it which probably can't be mentioned here. I even talked to a girl at the customer support for Verizon and she confirmed it, she sounded like a super geek, I was very impressed. She knew everything I was talking about.

If you want to see what the uninhibited Bluetooth 2.0 stack is capable of, go here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth) and look under Technical Information for all the protocols available in the stack. Then if you want to see what they've enabled on your phone (mine's a Blackberry 8330), go to Bluetooth and click Options. It's listed there under Services. Mine has:
- Headset
- Handsfree
- Serial Port Profile
-- Desktop Connectivity
-- Wireless Bypass
-- Data Transfer
- Dial Up Networking
- Audio Source
- A/V Remote Control Target

Notice the lack of ObEX, AVRCP and A2DP. It's all blocked. As well as being able to synchronize your phone with your Bluetooth capable home phone to receive calls on your Blackberry while at home. Ya, if they can't make money off it, it's blocked.

TimelessRogue
January 12th, 2010, 10:37 PM
All's well with Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid (after running Karmic, Jaunty and Intrepid ... all on the leading edge of Alpha releases) ... as far as I've actually tested, anyway ... on my HP Pavilion DV9623CL rigged as follows:

AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core 64-bit Mobile w/ 4 gigs memory, ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics, ATI Azalia/Altec Lansing sound, Realtec Ethernet networking plus integrated 802.11a/b/g WLAN & Bluetooth (Bluetooth not tested yet)

There've been a few minor tweaks ... some to suit my own quirks and some that were actually Linux related ... but nothing extreme and nothing that was absolutely necessary to keep Ubuntu, Lucid or otherwise, up and running ...

gandgcomputer
January 12th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I've taken the plunge and devoted an entire ACER Aspire 5517 to linux. I'm dual booting Ubuntu 9.10 x64 with Mint 8 x64. Both work great.

gradinaruvasile
January 12th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Dell D630 / Core2Duo T7300@2.0 GHz/2 GB RAM/Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M
- Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, Xubuntu 9.10 Everything working. I used the Bluetooth recently (9.10) even with PulseAudio/handsfree (blueman) - worked well. The external headphones are not detected, have to switch manually (external mic is switched on jack insert automatically).

Only thing is that it seems it has a built in 3G modem that i never used - it isnt visible for Ubuntu and dellWirelessCtl reports that is not installed - but neither Windows XP sees it with drivers installed so maybe only the SIM card socket is in place and really doesnt have the rest installed.

Dell C640 / Pentium4 M/1.8 GHz/512 MB RAM/Ati Mobility 7500
-Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10 - all features working - i used even Compiz + cube + virtualboxed Windoze.

nerdy_kid
January 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Vostro 1500 intel core two due @1.4 ghz
Nvidia geforce 8600M
HD Intel audio
Broadcom BCM wireless
3Gb of RAM

lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600M GT] (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
03:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
03:01.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
everything works perfect except for my modem which i havnt tested cause i have FIOS not dial-up ;)

SlickRick
January 13th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Toshiba Satellite L300-18E
Worked great with Jaunty and even better with Karmic. Here's a link (http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=1056299) to the full specs.
Only problem I encountered was when trying to make it play a sound when I open/close the lid. Ubuntu had problems detecting the event or I was doing something wrong but not a real problem.

l-x-l
January 13th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Dell Inspiron E1705 running Karmic perfectly after some tweaking.

System: Kernel 2.6.31-16-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Ubuntu 9.10 karmic
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 T7200 (SMP) cache 4096 KB flags (sse3 nx lm vmx) bmips 7988.48
Clock Speeds: (1) 1000.00 MHz (2) 2000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card nVidia G71 [GeForce Go 7900 GS] X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1440x900@60.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce Go 7900 GS/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 190.42 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network: Card-1 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver b44 v: 2.0
Card-2 Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection driver iwlagn v: 1.3.27k
Disks: HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (64.6% used) 1: /dev/sda SAMSUNG HM160JI 160.0GB

nanotube
February 2nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
dell vostro a90
working perfect with karmic after a few tweaks, as described in this forum thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389877

dell inspiron 5150:
working perfect on ubuntu intrepid - should work fine with karmic too, just haven't gotten to upgrading it.

unkelmarkmark
February 3rd, 2010, 11:57 PM
don't try and install ubuntu on any laptop that has the ATI radeon 7500 series gfx because it won't work.
and nobody so far has a fix. several people have partial fixes.

aeon.flux
February 6th, 2010, 09:03 AM
HP Pavilion dv6000, intel DC 1,73, nvidia go 7400

currently no problems. In jaunty i had to install graphic drivers and 9.10 used to crash without latest updates, but after install everything is great.

JakaBac
February 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
HP 8710w -- Ubuntu working 100%

Lenovo T60 - Ubuntu working 100%

Well the 8710w is not working 100% but 90% :)
I did not manage to get the SPDIF digital output through the HDMI port yet...

Coreo
February 25th, 2010, 04:55 AM
[Dell Latitude D610: Pentium M 1.6Ghz, 2GB of fasterthanstock RAM, 64mb Radeon x300, 60gb HD]

Everything works great for me, and I've used everything that this laptop can do.
All keyboard shortcuts and power/suspend/volume buttons work. :-\"

Only issues that I've had:

Bit of a trick getting the wireless set up in Karmic when I did a fresh install.
Wireless refreshes really slow. With Intrepid, it sometimes took up to 5 minutes to realize I had walked away from my connection.
Wireless signal strength indicator is really slow, and doesn't have a very good scale. Never indicates less than 50%, but is still sometimes unable to connect because the signal isn't strong enough.
Video driver has had trouble in the past, but seems to be working fine in Karmic. I can enable full visual effects without adding extra drivers.
Dual monitors: Could never get it working with Intrepid, haven't tried with Karmic yet.
IR and LIRC: Spent a bit of time with it, but couldn't get it working perfectly. Not sure if it's a machine specific problem.
Heat: Sometimes gets really hot for apparently no reason. I've installed the i8kutils and some other Dell packages, but they don't seem to help much.

I think that's everything...other than that I've been liking it. It's been my daily-driver for a couple years now, and it's done everything that I want it to do. Could do with a bit more video ram though. :-({|=

t.rei
February 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I said before that my ubuntu works nicely. Well. In lucid it doesnt anymore. It crashes on resume from suspend and the transition from usplash to plymouth leaves me with the ugliest text-fallback there is.

I might try to install lucid over again, when its stable. But right now the core feature "suspend" is broken.

texpat
February 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM
HP tc4200 tablet pc running Jaunty
Some of the nice tablet features don't work:

when in tablet mode it doesn't invert the screen/mouse, so you'd have to move in mirror image of what you intend to (hope this makes sense).
the pen's buttons don't work.

The former is not much of a problem, since it doesn't really get used in tablet mode, the latter is a royal pain in the neck.

The machine also hangs sometimes when trying to switch users or when logging out. This is a weird behaviour that I haven't been able to reproduce reliably.

I also installed Karmic on a Medion laptop (can't remember which model) recently for a friend. This machine has a 'switch' to turn wifi on or off which is a 2-key combination (something like [fn]+F5). This doesn't work, whereas the keyboard combination to do other things (change sound volume etc.) does.

Mark Phelps
February 25th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Several laptops ...

1) Fujitsu Liefbook T4020 Tablet PC
5 years old, came with XP Tablet version preinstalled
512MB original memory, upgraded to 2GB
Installed Hardy. Took a little work to get the stylus and manual screen rotation working. Autorotation never worked.
Tried 8.10, 9.04, 9.l0 -- none can be fixed to sense the bezel keys -- an absolute necessity for a tablet PC
Upgraded to Win7 -- everything works, runs as fast as with Hardy.
Use Win7 all the time now -- since newer Ubuntu's won't work
Extensive forum posting failed to produce any solutions that worked.

2) Compaq Presario 2580US laptop
7 years old, came with WinXP Home preinstalled
512MB original memory, upgraded to 1GB
Installed Hardy. Wireless, modem would not work. Fixed wireless (partially) using WiCD. Never able to get modem to work.
Needing to have reliable wireless, eventually removed Ubuntu and went back to using XP Home fulltime.

3) Older HP (Don't remember the model) laptop
10 years old, came with Win98 installed, upgraded to WinXP Home
256MB original memory, not upgradeable
Tried multiple distros. Ubuntu versions not able to get screen over 800X600 no matter what. PC Linux OS (2007) and OpenSUSE both able to get 1024x768 screen without problems. No internal networking. Able to get PCMIA netbus card partially working -- but needed wireless to use it regularly.
Eventually removed Linux distros and went back to XP Home -- where the wireless works reliably.
Installed Hardy. Wireless wouldn't work. Modem wouldn't work.

So, basically, of the three laptops, I'm one-for-three, with even that one being not upgradeable to anything newer than Hardy.

recluce
February 26th, 2010, 04:46 AM
[Dell Latitude D610: Pentium M 1.6Ghz, 2GB of fasterthanstock RAM, 64mb Radeon x300, 60gb HD]

Everything works great for me, and I've used everything that this laptop can do.
All keyboard shortcuts and power/suspend/volume buttons work. :-\"

Only issues that I've had:

Heat: Sometimes gets really hot for apparently no reason. I've installed the i8kutils and some other Dell packages, but they don't seem to help much.

I think that's everything...other than that I've been liking it. It's been my daily-driver for a couple years now, and it's done everything that I want it to do. Could do with a bit more video ram though. :-({|=

I only have one D610 left to administrate (much more a year or two ago) - and from my experience, the D610 always had heat issues, no matter which OS. The one system still left is running XP and gets to about 55°C on the underside of the machine. A poor system design, as far as heat dissipation is concerned. The D620 and D630 are much better in that regards,

WinterMadness
February 26th, 2010, 04:49 AM
no problems. not posting specs though

bunburya
February 26th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I voted "works perfectly". I do have a problem with sound in games, but there used to be sound in games so I'm presuming that it was something I did which caused the problem (if only I knew what!)

I think I have a Lenovo N500.

SoFl W
February 26th, 2010, 04:00 PM
When I first got my Dell Inspiron 1300 I installed W2Kpro over the WinXP Home and eventually put dual boot OpenSUSE on it. Was never able to get the wireless to work under SUSE and was never impressed with the SUSE experience. The DVD player stopped working on the machine and thought maybe it was time for a netbook. I only use the laptop for travel. About a month ago I decided to try 9.10 32bit on it installing from a boot stick. Worked like a charm, although I am not exactly sure how charms are suppose to work. My biggest problem was the wireless but found the solution very quickly. Ubuntu breathed new life into the old machine and I learned a lot about ubuntu. I don't use it often, but I have used it a lot lately and so far no major problems.

beetleman64
February 27th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Linux works completely on my cheap Tesco Fujitsu special (astoundingly). The only issue was trying to get the wireless card working, but a couple of lines in the terminal fixed the problem.

dragonboss
February 27th, 2010, 01:11 AM
The media keys, the empowering technology, mail notify, program launcher, browser launcher,special euro and $ buttons above the arrow keys don't work

Private_Ops
February 27th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I voted works fully.

Specs:

Lenovo G530: Intel Pentium Dual core (2.4GHz I think)
2GBs of RAM
160GB Hard Drive
Onboard Intel Graphics
Broadcom wireless (not sure which chip)
6 cell battery (about 2 and half hours)
Ubuntu 9.04

HalfWord
February 27th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Although I'm actually very satisfied how my laptop works with Ubuntu, I had to vote "works partially"
1) The embedded winmodem doesn't work (I know, I know, but anyway...)
2) I always have an annoying problem, different with any release: In Karmic I lose sound from time to time (reported this in another thread), in Jaunty I lost 3D acceleration (not that I need it much, but Compiz stopped working), and in Hardy I lost backlight control (a bug report was filed for that issue). What's interesting is that each new install worked fine at first, and mentioned problems occured later in the release's lifetime, to be corrected again in a new release... then another problem would arrive etc. :???:

During the times between the problems, everything worked perfectly :p

The machine is Thinkpad R61i with AMD64 (x86_64) distribution.

gjoellee
February 27th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Ubuntu crash if I suspend or hibernate. The wireless driver does not work after the first boot into Ubuntu after having used Windows (Dual boot). At the second boot the wireless driver work fine.

themacmeister
February 27th, 2010, 02:02 AM
100% working, sleep on close lid, wake on open-lid, suspend, all notebook specific function keys working. Actually, the only things that don't work or compile are those projects using hardware specific assembly code - such as ZSNES and MPlayer, but there are plenty of alternatives to these. The PPC movie codecs are poorly represented, but VLC is available for Slackintosh - so all is good.

:D

Ian dewhurst
February 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Everything works on my laptop.
Sleep works all hot keys work it is using an ATI chip but thats not an issue I don't need 3D.
HP Compaq 6715s
AMD turionx2 64 1.9GHZ CPU
Broadcom BCM4311 WLAN
Bluetooth
140GB SATA HD
2GB RAM
Battery that lasts 2 hours at best
Ubuntu 9.10

DownTown22
February 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM
ASUS M51Sn

Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.00GHZ
3GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9500M GS 512MB
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN, Bluetooth
15.4" display
250 GB SATA HDD
8-in-1 Card Reader
Integrated web cam
Dual booting Windows Vista and Ubuntu 9.10

dakilla
February 28th, 2010, 08:08 AM
ASUS UL30VT

Hybrid graphics

nvidia Gforce g210m
intel GMA 4500MHD

everything works except nvidia graphics..
and hw accel on intel GMA 4500MHD

running ubuntu 10.04 (it was worse on 9.10)

PeteUplink
February 28th, 2010, 11:01 AM
My laptop is a rather old Toshiba Satellite Pro 2100 with a 2Ghz Intel Celeron processor, 40GB HD, 512MB RAM and a 32MB nvidia go graphics card.

Most everything has worked fine except I can't install the nvidia drivers for it because when I restart all I get back is a flashing desktop image, but no icons or bars.

desnaike
February 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
No problems with Ubuntu 8.04,8.10,9.04,9.10 Mepis 7,8 Xubuntu, Puppy PClinuxos all work.

Sony Vaio PCG V505BX
Intel Pentium m 2ghz
512 ram
120 gig hdd (added after 40 gig died)
wifi
cd/rw dvd drive
pcmia
Ethernet
12.1 tft
ati mobile radeon

works great.

HP G61-429WM
everything works.

TusharG
February 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I'm having trouble with Intel HD Sound and Video. However the laptop is brand new and the new i3 processor was launched on 7 Jan 2010. Ubuntu does not support most of the hardware out of the box. Infact I'm unable to hear sound and decent resolution on it. However I'm sure it will be fixed in 10.4 release. I'm waiting for 10.4 release.
I know sound, video and web camera do not work but hope it will be fixed soon. My laptop model is HP Pavilion dv6-2150us

My hardware configuration is as follows:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Arrandale DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Arrandale Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 05)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 05)
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4357 (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
ff:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 2d12 (rev 02)
ff:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 2d13 (rev 02)

tjwoosta
February 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Everything has worked fine since I started using linux back around the time of ubuntu 7.10

Gateway ml6720

rtl8187b wireless card
intel gm965 integrated graphics
rtl8101e ethernet adapter
cd/dvd burner

cap10Ibraim
February 28th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Fully functioning with no problems

TOSHIBA SATELLITE U405-S2911

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6400 , 2.0GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB

Memory 4GB PC6400
Storage Device : 250GB (5400RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive
DVD SuperMulti(+/-R double layer) with label flash
Graphics : Intel Graphics Media Accerlerator 4500MHD with 128MB-1759MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
Webcam and microphone built into LCD
Intel Wi-Fi Link 5100AGN(802.11a/g/n)
10/100 Ethernet

but this list make me think is there a Labelflash application for Linux
I use 64 bit windows7 but 32 bit Ubuntu9.10 , should I consider 64 bit Ubuntu ?!

Malakai
February 28th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Asus 1000he is the hardware, fully updated Ubuntu Karmic is the OS.

I have one single annoying issue but everything else works fine, Wifi and bluetooth both function perfect with multple types of devices and networks, all power management and suspend functions work basically the same as windows, and the battery lasts about the same time on Win7 & Ubuntu.

My one issue is the speaker volume is a bit low compared to windows, even pumped up to the max 115% or so in the control panel. I've been searching various sources for a fix for weeks, still no luck.

tjwoosta
February 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM
but this list make me think is there a Labelflash application for Linux
I use 64 bit windows7 but 32 bit Ubuntu9.10 , should I consider 64 bit Ubuntu ?!

Actually thats a good point that I forgot about on my machine. As far as I know there is no native labelflash support in linux, but it might work through wine.

Yes, you should look into 64bit ubuntu :) Its probably not going to make a huge noticable difference, but it just makes since to take full advantage of your hardware. Certain things that require heavy processor usage will perform noticably better.

neu5eeCh
March 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Running Ubuntu on Three laptops.

One for the family (HP ZD7000): Suspend and Hibernation both fail though it works with 9.04. Mic doesn't work.

HP Paviliion DV1000 Laptop: Mic doesn't work.
HP Mini 1000: Mic doesn't work in any Ubuntu distro.

I've tried sleuthing the mic issue (following a variety of solutions), but it's a serious bug and beyond my abilities - for now.

Would love to know if the issues has been resolved in 10.04?

[Edit: Of all the folks who have said their computers have no issues with 9.10, I bet fully half or more can't use their mics.]

whiskeylover
March 1st, 2010, 04:23 PM
Works completely with my Dell Inspiron 17. But it didn't work "out of the box". The wireless card's driver had to be installed by first plugging in the ethernet cord and downloading it.

Other than that, everything was good.

neu5eeCh
March 1st, 2010, 04:24 PM
Works completely with my Dell Inspiron 17. But it didn't work "out of the box". The wireless card's driver had to be installed by first plugging in the ethernet cord and downloading it.

Other than that, everything was good.

Have you tried a mic? I'm not trying to be a pain, just genuinely curious.

whiskeylover
March 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM
Have you tried a mic? I'm not trying to be a pain, just genuinely curious.

You mean the inbuilt microphone? No, I haven't tried it. But the inbuilt webcam works. I'll give the microphone a try when I go home.

fewt
March 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Where is the "I had to hack the crap out of it to make it work on my laptop(s)" vote option?

I pick that one.

undecim
March 1st, 2010, 04:48 PM
Running 64 bit karmic on an HP TouchSmart tx2. After enabling proprietary drivers for the ATI, it works perectly.

Only thing I haven't tried is the fingerprint scanner, but since I use an encrypted home directory, it doesn't do me any good anyways.

breley
March 1st, 2010, 05:14 PM
Everything seems to be working on my Dell XPS 1640 with 64-bit Karmic, though I installed the proprietary ATI drivers. The one exception is the Ricoh Multicard reader, as described at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/311781. Referring to this blog, http://intr.overt.org/blog/?p=59, I tried

setpci -s ‘09:01.0′ 0xCA=0×57 (Write Enable)
setpci -s ‘09:01.0′ 0xCB=0×02 (MMC Disable)
setpci -s ‘09:01.0′ 0xCA=0×00 (Write Disable)

after doing an lspci but this did not work for me.

sideaway
March 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
Just bought a new Laptop Dell e4300 http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_latitude_e4300?c=nz&l=en&s=bsd&cs=nzbsd1

Inbuilt mic does not work
Two finger scrolling does not work
Finger print scanner does not work

But everything else did! :P

Anyone that can help me with the above, will be greatly appreciated :)

Ralph Hinkley
March 4th, 2010, 03:57 AM
I chose "linux works perfectly on my laptop"

I've got an old Thinkpad (T-40? maybe???)
PentiumIII mobile CPU 933 MHz
Netgear wireless network card

I got the computer used, so I'm unsure about the rest.

fatdaddy
March 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Dell Latitude D610 blue tooth wifi all good

Keith1212
March 5th, 2010, 01:39 AM
"Linux works completely with my laptop"

Dell Latitude D520
Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz (Dual-Core)
1GB Ram

teh603
March 5th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I'm having trouble with Intel HD Sound and Video. However the laptop is brand new and the new i3 processor was launched on 7 Jan 2010. Ubuntu does not support most of the hardware out of the box. Infact I'm unable to hear sound and decent resolution on it. However I'm sure it will be fixed in 10.4 release. I'm waiting for 10.4 release.
I know sound, video and web camera do not work but hope it will be fixed soon. My laptop model is HP Pavilion dv6-2150us

My hardware configuration is as follows:ker-snippity!

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Arrandale Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Welcome to the Arrandale club!

Yes, we do get better support in 10.04. I'm testing the alpha on my Dell Inspiron 1564, and things get better with each set of updates.

Don't try Jaunty or Karmic on the Inspiron 1564, though. Jaunty goes into Vesa, while Karmic gives a black screen of death unless you use the Vesa driver.

conmat
March 6th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Linux works partially and I don't know why somethings don't work

Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
Lenovo T400
Intel/ATI switchable graphics
8GB RAM

My biggest problem is random crashing. Crashing seems to be completely random. I can run an application for several days and everything is fine then my system will start crashing every 15 minutes.

I would like to be able to switch graphics. ATI graphics drivers broke my first installation so I am afraid to install them. I just run the Intel graphics with the native Ubuntu drivers.

I would like better battery life.

Keyboard mapping still has problems.

I have lots of problems trying to compile programs from source. I thought it would be nice to compile programs for 64-bit but I have never sucessfully installed a program from source.

mvalenti
March 9th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I have not tried my mic jack or built in mic yet so I am unsure of these. My capacitive touch controls for volume and play,pause, etc do not work. External headphone jack does not work either.

Acer Aspire 8730-6951
Ubuntu 9.04

-Mark

diogenes_3
March 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM
Just test driving Lucid 10.04 Beta 1 NRE on my Medion Akoya E1210 Netbook. Most stuff works nicely, but I can't seem to get WLAN (with WPA2) to work. The wheel keeps spinning, but no connection can be established.

Previous Ubuntus, as well as Easy Peasy have worked on the same hardware, as does Windows XP.

Ideas?

wizard10000
March 21st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Compaq (HP) Mini 110c netbook. Everything works.

nettobr
March 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM
kUBUNTU 9.10 working great on LENOVO 3000 G530 but HDMI

bosyber
March 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Ubuntu karmic working pretty well on my laptop, and acer 6292. There are two non-working things, as far as I can tell: the fingerprint reader (I think for this chip
there are no working drivers yet); and somehow I have trouble getting the internal
mic to work, let alone get skype to use it. ... but I haven't recently tried to get it to work anymore.

Robin_216
March 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron 1750, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz.

Standby and hibernate don´t work, although i don use those functions.

tica vun
March 28th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Compal IFL91 with a broken screen - ubuntu server 10.04 beta. Ethernet works, and that's the only thing I need working on it.
Asus EeePC 901 - ubuntu netbook remix 10.04 beta - everything works out of the box.

Indroth
March 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Linux works partially with my laptop-I will post the specific problem(s)

HP Compaq tc4400 (tablet)

Proprietary modem drivers cause sound to stop working (don't care... who uses a modem any more ;) )
Not all stylus functions work

bobin
March 28th, 2010, 07:40 PM
HCL laptop with intel Dualcore chipset and nvidia GPU. Works out-of-the-box

rockwel
March 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I have a Dell M90 with an ATI X1400. It works great. But I had huge graphics card problems with Ndivia FX2500. The FX2500 hardware actually died on me twice, third time round I switched to ATI X1400. And so happy I did. The 3D rendering will not be nearly as capable, but at least it works. Also, I was trying to get ubuntu 9.10 running on a older Dell Inspiron 2250. But it was not stable at all. More trouble that it was worth. That's why I went to the M90.

Random_Dude
March 28th, 2010, 08:19 PM
When I was running Ubuntu 8.4 I had a lot of problems, including no sound and no wireless internet.
But since I installed 9.10 I only have 2:

The disable touchpad button doesn't work.
The camera is up-side down on skype.

Apart from that, everything works fine.:biggrin:

Trinity33
March 28th, 2010, 08:51 PM
sure it does:) ubuntu 9.10 work perfect dont have anymore any problems:) there was one with my graphic its sorted then with sound card then mousse cursor after kernel update so i didnt know that i need to reinstall graphic driver and mousse work again.

laptop spec msi gt725
q9000 quad core 2ghz ddr2 4gb graphic ati hd4850 hdd 500gb sound work too but need reconfiguration before it will work perfectly.

to be honest im very happy that i discovered ubuntu and generally linux. have much more fun then with win7, sometimes i boot up win7 just cos my tv doesnt work in ubuntu 9.10

MCVenom
March 28th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Sorry, too lazy to post specifics :p

Everything works perfectly though -- webcam, microphone, flash player, etc. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5520-5912. :D

dnairb
March 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM
@Random_Dude

I had this issue on my Dell lappy (I think it is a very common issue). I dealt with it by disabling the driver for the touchpad-thingy as I never use it anyway.

In /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (you need gksudo priveleges to edit the file) add the following:

blacklist psmouse

Random_Dude
March 28th, 2010, 10:06 PM
@Random_Dude

I had this issue on my Dell lappy (I think it is a very common issue). I dealt with it by disabling the driver for the touchpad-thingy as I never use it anyway.

In /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (you need gksudo priveleges to edit the file) add the following:

blacklist psmouse

Does it solve the disable touchpad button problem?

The touchpad works fine, it's just the disable button. I don't use it anyway, the more important issue is the up-side down camera on skype (just skype, it works fine on cheese).

Hman242
March 28th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I have an HP Pavilion dv4 laptop and it work's without any problems. It's a little over one year old. My specs are as follows

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
05:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. SD/MMC Host Controller
05:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technology Corp. Standard SD Host Controller
05:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. MS Host Controller
05:00.4 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. xD Host Controller

redrac
March 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
works perfectly acer 5516- 1.6 ghz athlon 64 tf-20 2 gb ram Radeon Xpress 1200 video. atheros chipset wifi.

not the fastest laptop but runs ubuntu great.

crucialhoax
March 29th, 2010, 07:15 AM
HP Pavilion dv4 Laptop

Ethernet: Realtek 10/100 adapter
WLAN: Intel Wifi Link 5100 w/ script for LEDS
Graphics: Intel integrated -- supports compiz and extra appearance
Touchpad: Synaptics -- using syndaemon for touch control for typing
Card Reader: JMicron -- works correctly and recognizes all cards I have inserted correctly.
CD-Rom: Panasonic CD / DVD / Lightscribe drive: Tested all but Lightscribe.
- Supports all the touch buttons above the keyboard.
- IIRC all FN keys operate correctly.
- Display is wonderful.

Linux on this laptop has worked wonders. Vista used 1GB of RAM just to idle, sometimes more; Ubuntu 400MB :)

Ichido
March 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Dell inspiron 1525n working very well.
Sound, Wifi "G", DVDs (VLC), SD Card Reader all working.
Minor problems now and then but the Forum Members are a great help in solving them.

Naggobot
March 29th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Laptop model HP550

Only thing I have been bothered recently has been

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/458290

Now I voted that everything works, since I have not always been bothered by that particular bug. My system was originally installed with 8.10 and is now upgraded up to 9.10.

I also have ACER5021WMLi but the bluetooth does not work on that model. I do not know if it is possible to make work.

Then there is of course also mini laptop Acer aspire one with Linpus and 8gb SSD and yes despite what someone might say it does work perfectly.

user1397
March 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I'm using a Dell Mini 10v netbook and it runs ubuntu 9.10 perfectly...no problems whatsoever.

Wee_Guy
March 29th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Not sure if this counts but Suspend has never worked on my custom built desktop PC, and I have had issues with graphics and the DVD drive before.

dnairb
March 29th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Does it solve the disable touchpad button problem?

The touchpad works fine, it's just the disable button. I don't use it anyway, the more important issue is the up-side down camera on skype (just skype, it works fine on cheese).

The blacklist psmouse code stops the touchpad working at all (my preferred behaviour) - I may have misunderstood your meaning re. disabling the touchpad.

Actually you can do this manually:

sudo rmmod psmouse to unload the psmouse module and disable the touchpad, and
sudo modprobe psmouse to reload and enable the touchpad.

Random_Dude
March 29th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks dnairb.

Like I said, the touchpad thing is not a big deal, it doesn't bother me.
The camera is the issue that I'll try to solve one day.

But I'll follow your advice if I ever need to disable the touchpad.
Thanks again!

eyeofreason
March 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Satellite ,Intel , Ubuntu never a problem!

madjr
March 31st, 2010, 12:37 AM
just wanted to mention that almost every Asus laptop that comes with expressgate (an instant-on linux) is 99% compatible with most modern distros.

i got one and works really well.

so aside from system76 and zareason, Asus is a good option (specially if you're outside the states where the guarantee may be hard to cover).

aklo
March 31st, 2010, 02:04 AM
I have an Acer aspire one netbook. Everything works but recently the touchpad fail...i have no idea if it is spoilt or it is ubuntu netbook remix fault...i strongly believe is ubuntu's fault...

this is my only problem and since i use a mouse i don't really give a damn.

mgw2008
April 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM
Converted 2 Thinkpad T60's to Kubuntu now. Cold start-up time down to 25 sec vs several minutes under Windos. Have been using OO3 Firefox and TB for some time - the performance is considerable better now.

Had to fiddle a little with WINE to get EAC running but works perfect now (of course the WINE1.2 installation under Karmic is still flawed.

Also some minutes and forum browsing to get Squeezebox up and running.

I originally started with Ubuntu and switched from GNOME to KDE recently.

Trackpoint support is a bit dodgy.

Ravernomina
April 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM
LOL SORRY POSTED IN WRONG THREAD xD

forcecore
April 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
HP DV 2525en, basically all Intel hardware almost. Ubuntu works out of box. Just avoid bad hardware laptops like with SIS video or others who make closed hardware devices.

1.67 GHz Intel Core2 Duo processor T5450
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11a/g/n
5-in-1 card reader (Ricoh)
14.1 LCD screen

Only fingerprint reader do not work but i do not need this so no problem.
I got this used laptop very cheaply too.

Guglielmo90
April 23rd, 2010, 08:17 AM
Linux works partially with my laptop-I will post the specific problem(s). Resume from suspend doesn't work on my vaio vgn-cs21s. Keyboard freezes on resume.

tilixibr
April 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
The only thing that doesn't work on Linux with my Compaq CQ60 is the wireless light (it's constantly orange instead of blue when active) and the button to lock the touchpad (pretty damn useless.
The rest is pretty much working great!:D

FlapBags
May 6th, 2010, 07:31 AM
My previous laptop, which I've since given away worked perfectly with Ubuntu out-of-the-box. It was a Dell Inspiron 500m. The only thing I'll say is that when I bought it, it didn't have a wireless card inside. So I made sure to buy a Linux-compatible wireless card when I got one (Intel Pro Wireless 2200, thanks to recommendations from these forums).

I know run an Eee PC. Don't know if it counts as a laptop. It ran perfectly with Xandros as preconfigured by Asus. I installed eeeXubuntu on it, which included some Eee-specific tweaks, and it works almost perfectly, except that the boot time is now extremely slow, and resume from suspend doesn't work all the time any more.

Any ATHEROS based card will work with Linux, when it comes to wifi, dont buy intel crap, they are not the best at wifi. but Atheros IS.

danciac
May 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hi everybody!
I am using an ASUS X59GLseries laptop with the latest 10.04 lucid. It is almost fully functionable but for one annoying problem I've been having. I am experiencing some trouble with the volume up/down and volume mute keys. The problem is that the effect of pressed keys is being felt after a lag of about ~20 seconds, and that's when the volume meter appears on the screen. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Shakz
May 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I have a Dell XPS M1530 and Ubuntu works great on it. My only issue is that the sound when I got HDMI to the TV does not work. I have not taken the time to fix it yet but I am sure there is a way. Everything else works.
It has a 256m Nvidia 8600 GT
500MB HDD
4gb of ram 3.4 as I am running 32 bit Lucid
Intel Core 2 duo T8300 @2.4ghz per core

I
LOVE
THIS
MACHINE!
Worth every penny and I would buy another in a heartbeat. Wish nix came preinstalled.

lashram
May 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid as well as the previous release Karmic 9.10 both worked right out the box on my custom built laptop. Here are my specs:

Based on NVIDIAŽ GeForce MCP79
Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 processor
4GB RAM
NVIDIAŽ GeForce 8200M Graphics discreet w 256MB memory
17" WXGA+ ( 1440 x 900 )
:guitar:

mamamia88
May 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
everything in my laptop works fine. it's compatability of public wireless networks that you should worry about. i know my school you need to go out and manually download the certificate to get you online.