PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Tweak

lyceum
July 30th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Just wondering thought on Ubuntu Tweak. I like it. I am wondering if it will ever be a part of Ubuntu or if there are ant known issues with using it.

sharks
July 30th, 2008, 01:23 PM
i think its not needed bcoz its just contains the programs installed in linux. we can do changes wihout it.

Vadi
July 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
It was nice until they added some third-party repository and duplicated add/remove.

Zero Prime
July 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I like it. It makes making some changes easier. Yes I know how to make the changes with out it, but it's still a nice tool to have.

lyceum
July 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I don't really care as much about the installer, personally. I just like one place to add a plash screen and other tweaks.

Exsecrabilus
July 30th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Ubuntu Tweak is the type of program a giant product like Ubuntu will never come with. Its derivatives like Ultimate Edition or Linux Mint, however, is a different story.

lyceum
July 31st, 2008, 01:14 PM
Most votes seem to say people do not know what Ubuntu tweak is. Here is a link to their site:

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

From the website:

About
Introduce

Ubuntu Tweak is an application designed to config Ubuntu easier for everyone.

It provided many usefull desktop and system options that the default desktop environment isnít provided.

At present, It is only designed for Ubuntu GNOME Desktop, and often follows the newest Ubuntu distribution.

LICENSE

Ubuntu Tweak is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under th
e terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foun
dation. More information can see at the the packageís LICENSE.

Features of Ubuntu Tweak

* View of Basic System Information(Distribution, Kernel, CPU, Memory, etc.)
* GNOME Session Control
* Auto Start Program Control
* Show/Hide and Change Splash screen
* Show/Hide desktop icons or Mounted Volumes
* Show/Hide/Rename Computer, Home, Trash icon or Network icon
* Tweak Metacity Window Managerís Style and Behavior
* Compiz Fusion settings, Screen Edge Settings, Window Effects Settings, Menu Effect Settins
* GNOME Panel Settings
* Nautilus Settings
* Advanced Power Management Settings
* System Security Settings

LFX described it as a tool for power users.

xpod
July 31st, 2008, 01:40 PM
LFX described it as a tool for power users.

I`d have thought it was the complete opposite.I`d imagine the "power users" would already know how to easily manage most of what Ubuntu Tweak offers.
I installed Ubuntu Tweak a few weeks ago,just to have a look and theres really nothing in there that cant already be done quite easily without installing Ubuntu Tweak but then i`m one of those who argued that AX had it`s place so i suppose UT could also be kinda handy during the first weeks & months.

gn2
July 31st, 2008, 01:48 PM
i`m one of those who argued that AX had it`s place

Careful saying stuff like that, the forum police might put you in the stocks for uttering blasphemy....

xpod
July 31st, 2008, 02:02 PM
Careful saying stuff like that, the forum police might put you in the stocks for uttering blasphemy....

Ah,so thats what made me hesitate slightly,before posting something about AX.:)

Sealbhach
July 31st, 2008, 02:04 PM
I like the Simplified Compiz Settings Manager that comes with it.

I like Ubuntu Tweak.

lyceum
July 31st, 2008, 07:32 PM

:lolflag:

robotman5
July 31st, 2008, 08:12 PM
What is Ubuntu Tweak?:confused:

aktiwers
July 31st, 2008, 09:50 PM
What is Ubuntu Tweak?:confused:
http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

samjh
July 31st, 2008, 10:42 PM
LOL

I was in pondering whether to create something like Ubuntu Tweak. I'm glad this thread was created, because I didn't know about it before.

Yes, it is definitely cool. Yes, it should be included in future releases.

eragon100
July 31st, 2008, 10:47 PM

You guys do know that it exists again, right? :KS

TheeMahn (from Ultimate Edition) is working on ultimatix, which is just automatix with changes (It can now install a lot of games, and a couple of desktop environments, for example)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ultamatix-The-New-Automatix-90801.shtml

The above is a great download and news site, but they currently seem to be having some problems with the letters of their article names :lolflag:

smartboyathome
July 31st, 2008, 11:17 PM
Where is the option for "I do not care, as I do not need it"? I am on Arch, but when I am on Ubuntu I don't really need it.

SilverDragon
July 31st, 2008, 11:48 PM
I didn't really find a need for it. I guess it might be useful but it seemed like most of the options would just be under System > Preferences/Administration or Applications > Add/Remove with the recent update.

lyceum
August 1st, 2008, 12:00 AM
Where is the option for "I do not care, as I do not need it"? I am on Arch, but when I am on Ubuntu I don't really need it.

No, sorry. This is more of a "what do you think about it as a community" poll rather than a "would you use it personally" poll.

Kingsley
August 1st, 2008, 12:14 AM
I haven't seen anything amazing in Ubuntu Tweak yet, but I'm happy it runs on Fedora. :)

lyceum
August 1st, 2008, 09:43 PM
I haven't seen anything amazing in Ubuntu Tweak yet, but I'm happy it runs on Fedora. :)

That is cool to know. Maybe it should be a Gnome Tweak?

:)

flytripper
August 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM
some one has coded a front end for things already existing, at least this is what i think they have done... +1 from me

madjr
August 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
ubuntu-tweak rocks, especially latest version

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/2008/07/29/improved-version-ubuntu-tweak-035-released.html

linuxmint has all those tools by default, ubuntu should too

ben2talk
August 3rd, 2008, 05:32 AM
Ubuntu Tweak did become the major helper for me to get my settings back with 7.10 where there are so many different ways to get at your settings that you can have a lot of trouble getting it set up the way you want it.

You're better off with 8.10, especially if you use 'gnome-control-centre'(press ALT+F2 and type 'control') because the settings are being tidied up and centralised. Now it's easier for me to get back my 'scale windows' top corner/'scale windows- all desktops' right corner settings, and more options are available in the GUI which previously gave Ubuntu Tweak more 'power' (meaning that if you are using GUI it's harder to see and access the settings). Ubuntu Tweak duplicated some things, and sometimes I was overriding it with other settings interfaces.... best to have it more organised in a central control centre. Ubuntu Tweak is truly a pointer to the weaker points of Ubuntu, and should be made obsolete as fast as possible!

Next up - can we get a menu that will open with the 'Super' key and just start typing in, instead of having 'Alt+F1' or 'Alt+F2' and 'Alt+F3', or should we simply admit that Vista really blew ubuntu away by integrating this into it's shell?

BLTicklemonster
August 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Can you use ubuntu tweak on Kubuntu? I know someone who can't get an external hard drive to mount in Kubuntu. I had to turn to ubuntu tweak to get all my partitions/drives to mount automatically, and my usb drive, also, and wondered if ubuntu tweak would work in Kubuntu, too.

lyceum
August 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Can you use ubuntu tweak on Kubuntu? I know someone who can't get an external hard drive to mount in Kubuntu. I had to turn to ubuntu tweak to get all my partitions/drives to mount automatically, and my usb drive, also, and wondered if ubuntu tweak would work in Kubuntu, too.

From what I understand it is just for Gnome, as KDE is very open to mess up, but Gnome hides a lot of its configurations tools. I would guess that some of the features might work.

antiloop
August 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I like it a lot. It's perfect for a beginner's distro like Ubuntu.

billgoldberg
August 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Ubuntu tweak is nice, but new users would better learn how to do the things UT does properly.

For any Ubuntu "power-user" Ubuntu Tweak is useless.

Ubuntu tweak is also too "Win XP" for me.

GrandpaLeaman
August 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I didn't find it useful for me. Besides, when I installed Tweaks, it messed up my AWN applets. I still don't know why. Anybody else have this happen?

Swarms
August 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM
There are some of the stuff it can easily change that there are no reason its not in default Ubuntu. Like more appearance settings like splash.

And I mean an easy graphical frontend that is easy to find.

lyceum
August 31st, 2008, 03:52 PM
I didn't find it useful for me. Besides, when I installed Tweaks, it messed up my AWN applets. I still don't know why. Anybody else have this happen?

I do not know that it was Ubuntu Tweak, I was having problems with AWN before I installed Ubuntu Tweak. All I do it re-load the window manager and everything is good though. But I have not had any new issues with AWN.

BLTicklemonster
August 31st, 2008, 05:20 PM
Ubuntu tweak fixed my "mount drives/partitions and show them on the desktop" problem I was having. It also has tons of stuff that is useful all in one place that is easy to get to.

I use Awn, and have had no problems with it whatsoever, but I did install it after installing Tweak.

BLTicklemonster
August 31st, 2008, 05:30 PM

To be quite frank with you, stuff like AX and Tweak should already be integrated into Ubuntu already. Not saying the programs, but the functionality of the programs themselves. Strides have been made in that we have the restricted drivers interface, and add/remove, now if they would either add Tweak or give us one place with all the functions, that would be great.

I'm bothered that Ubuntu wants to get Compiz and Pulse Audio standardized, yet there are so many little things that would make Ubuntu more useful for all that are lacking.

I wish I were one of those people sitting in a position where I could guide development and say, no, not that, THIS, and see about getting Ubuntu flat out "working" before the fluff is added. I disable Pulse audio immediately when I install. I have no idea wtf it is supposed to do, and when I have tried it, it hosed my audio. Compiz: I can do without it, but I do use it now because I don't play Unreal Tournament any more, so the resource issue is not a problem for me, and I use AWN, so it's a necessity. (if the background of an icon is transparent, then why must one run compiz to get the background in AWN to be transparent? I know gdesklets can run without compiz, but you have to do a pita tweak to get a transparent background, and I can't get gdesklets to load automatically in Icewm)

*OT RANT OFF*

MadsRH
August 31st, 2008, 07:45 PM
To be quite frank with you, stuff like AX and Tweak should already be integrated into Ubuntu already. Not saying the programs, but the functionality of the programs themselves. Strides have been made in that we have the restricted drivers interface, and add/remove, now if they would either add Tweak or give us one place with all the functions, that would be great.

I'm bothered that Ubuntu wants to get Compiz and Pulse Audio standardized, yet there are so many little things that would make Ubuntu more useful for all that are lacking.

+1
I agree. Canonical should hire just one developer to fix small details that would enhance the user experience. I'm not a developer in anyway, but to me it sounds like a easy job - the Ubuntu Tweak sourcecode is all you would need.

Ubuntu Tweak is a great tool and it should be included/available by default in Ubuntu :)

emshains
September 1st, 2008, 12:42 PM
Ubuntu tweak would be great, if it would come with ubuntu already and it wouldn't be called tweak, just because people in general want things to come already tweaked to the "MAX"!

sloggerkhan
September 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
I think some of the stuff is a little pointless, but it also provides easy access to some things I find pretty important.
Top 2:
Nautilus: Show advanced permissions on file property pages (I wish this option were an ubuntu default, the "easy" permission panel just makes things more confusing and doesn't seem to work right half the time.)
User folder: set your document folders
I keep some content on different drives, so I always have to set this for video and pictures.

Both of these are things I've done manually in the past, but it's much easier to just click a check box.

ukripper
September 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
I like to tweak ubuntu machines myself. So I guess not needed for me. If it happens and have this by default in ubuntu releases, sadly I'd move to Arch linux!

lyceum
September 4th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I like to tweak ubuntu machines myself. So I guess not needed for me. If it happens and have this by default in ubuntu releases, sadly I'd move to Arch linux!

Why not just uninstall it?

Skorzen
September 4th, 2008, 12:34 AM
It's cool, but not essential.

ukripper
September 4th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Why not just uninstall it?

why install something in first place when it is not needed?

lyceum
September 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
why install something in first place when it is not needed?

If it is easier for new users, Right now I think it still needs some work before it would be a part of Ubuntu by default, but if it makes things easier for new users, which seems to be a point of Ubuntu, then why not?

BLTicklemonster
September 4th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Why make drawers for kitchen utensils if you know how to use said utensils?

So you can find them when you need them.

ukripper
September 4th, 2008, 11:30 AM
If it is easier for new users, Right now I think it still needs some work before it would be a part of Ubuntu by default, but if it makes things easier for new users, which seems to be a point of Ubuntu, then why not?

I am sure it won't happen! From Repos I agree it should be available but not by default.

lyceum
September 4th, 2008, 11:58 PM

:lolflag:

good call!

ukripper
September 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Repos fit that bill perfectly!

BLTicklemonster
September 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
So should Ubuntu come as a command line OS with GDM in the repositories, considering that fact that GDM can be installed easily enough via the command line if one really wants the easy way out of doing things rather than doing it old school?

All a program like Tweak would do would be to put certain tools in one place, like having a tool shed instead of leaving rakes and hoes (ooh baby) laying (sorry) all over the yard.

"Yeah, I know zackly whar the shovel is, it's over thar by that thar big pile of leaves what has that thar rake at the bottom of it. Now why don't you sudo git me a beer and then sudo leave me alone, Nascar's on."

Sorry, I like my stuff where I can find it, and Tweak is an excellent tool which, if it ever came to it, would get my vote to be included if not in the system on first boot, then at least in the repositories.

geogur
September 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM
this is a well keep secret . now i know of tweak .