PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kubuntu 8.04 will Install but Ubuntu 8.04 will not.

Benkrishman
July 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Earlier today I installed Kubuntu 8.04 to check out KDE 4.0. Wasn't for me, so I decided to go with Ubuntu 8.04. However during the install, at about 48-50% the install fails due to an i/o error(I don't have more information about the error on hand). It said it could be due to a bad burn, or potentially a damaged harddrive. I burned several new discs of ubuntu but none worked(all at 2x and used multiple downloads to see if the mirror was the issue) and I have the same problem. I've tried installing 3 or 4 times and it always stops in the same place. After many failed attempts I decided to try Kubuntu again and it installed no problems.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? I've tried to eliminate all the variables but I still can't figure it out.

Sef
July 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Did you md5sum the download?

Benkrishman
July 30th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Did you md5sum the download?

I didn't the first time. When I went back to download again I used a torrent instead of one of the mirrors. I pointed the torrent towards the iso that I already downloaded it and when it checked it it only showed 99.9% downloaded so I figured that was the issue. I let the download finish and tried again but I got the same error in the same place.

Right now I'm trying the alternate cd to see if I have any luck with that. Could that make a difference?

abn91c
July 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM
leave kubuntu alone then usen adept-manager or a konsole to install the ubuntu-desktop
sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop