PDA

View Full Version : Command line interface or graphical - which do you use the most?

johnlvs2run
July 30th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Do you like using the command line the most, or the graphical interface?

If the command line, what is your favorite distribution for learning and using it?

tom66
July 30th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Command line and graphical.

Graphical - the internet, most settings
Command line - installing software, some settings

spupy
July 30th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I've written a couple of scripts that I use several times a day and the are irreplaceable for me. But I don't use them through the terminal - I'm trying to have all my scripts integrated with some kind of GUI - an icon, a keybinding, a zenity gui. Although I'm well versed with the command line and can live with it instead of graphical programs, I will still prefer a good graphical interface.
That's why I use the command line for only a handful of operations: read a man page, upgrade packages, find/edit a file that is not in my home folder.

LaRoza
July 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I don't know about "time", as I typically spend the most time in Opera, but I use more CLI apps than GUI.

gn2
July 30th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Only ever use CLI when there is no GUI alternative, these days that's almost never, I can't remember the last time I used the CLI.

c2olen
July 30th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've learned using the CLI while working on IBM's AIX Unix flavour =D>, because the GUI alternative wasn't available. Love the responsiveness and command completion.
I've always prefered doing most administrative tasks through the CLI. To my opinion many GUI based tools and utilities require way to much clickies....

I hope the CLI never dies \\:D/

AndyCooll
July 30th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I use gui most of the time. However, there are times when I find a few entries typed into the command lines to be so much quicker, easier and powerful.

:cool:

billgoldberg
July 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM
For me now, it's about 30/70 (cli/gui).

I always have some terminal windows open.

I use the terminal for ssh, playing music (mpd/mpc), torrents, some file management, ...

That being said, the majority of my time on the pc is spend in firefox.

ibutho
July 30th, 2008, 01:22 PM
It really depends on what I am doing. If I am working with servers, then its the CLI 100% of the time. On my desktops, I mostly use the GUI, but always have terminal window open.

Chame_Wizard
July 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
about the same :lolflag: