PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is it worth it?

1r0nman
July 30th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I have this old pc i just fixed up and got working, i was wondering what would the best flavor choice would be.... would Ubuntu 8.04 run well or just plain terrible,any suggestions would be greatly apriciated.

the specs are:
ASUS A7V8X Mother board (333mhz FSB)
(cant get fan off,but acording to mobo support the processor could be)AMD Athlon XP/athlon/duron
128mb of ram
40 gb hard drive
380w power supply

i know 128mb is terrible so the
other main question is, is there a flavor that would work really well on 128mb or should i shell out the extra bucks for like 512mb? or is it even worth tryin to get this pc runnin?

bobnutfield
July 30th, 2008, 08:02 AM
You are correct out the ram. 128mb just isn't enough to run the standard GUI Ubuntu. As a matter of fact, the GUI installer from the live cd requires at least 192mb. But, in asnwer to your question "is it worth it", if you have use for that machine, then it is still difinitely usable. It will run Ubuntu just fine if you bump up the memory, but you can run a lightweight distro (Puppy is my favorite) with those specs as is. The most powerful distro you can run those specs on would be Slackware with a lightweight window manager (ICEwm, Fluxbox, etc.)

The machine is still difinitely useful unless you want heavy duty gaming.

zvacet
July 30th, 2008, 08:03 AM
You can try Xubuntu (alternate CD) or DSL (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/),Puppy. (http://www.puppylinux.com/)

sstusick
July 30th, 2008, 08:04 AM
The most I'd want to run on that system is Xubuntu.

ladr0n
July 30th, 2008, 08:14 AM
if you're up for the install, arch linux would work wonderfully on that machine. I would recommend lxde for the desktop environment.

1r0nman
July 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM
thanks alot guys,im not new to linux but new to ubuntu and all its flavors, so thanks,i will check out xubuntu,and i might just run to the local store and pick up some more ram

and no,i have a seperate pc running windows xp for gaming,i just hate windows and got tired of having to restart and quickly choose win xp on lillo if i wanted to play games...dual booting gets tiresome

kspncr
July 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
i might just run to the local store and pick up some more ram

Good plan:) You could run Xubuntu with 128mb, but if it were me, I'd want more anyway.