PDA

View Full Version : I have a lot of questions!

Fzang
July 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM
SUPER EDIT: Solved all except this one:

How can I mount USB disks to the desktop, and how do I remove the "storage media" folder on my desktop that shows "67 GB media" and "7,8 GB media"?

TeaAge
July 30th, 2008, 05:35 PM
2. Yes
3. You have to install the task-gnome package.
Open the Mandriva Control Center (the small Computersymbol in your control-bar), go to "adding and removing software". Change the drop-down-menu from "Packages with GUI" to "All". Search for "task-gnome" and install it.

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/documentation/2008-spring/Mastering-Manual-EN.html/Mastering-Manual.html/packages-management.html

After that you can restart your X-Server by pressing CTRL+ALT+Backspace. Then you will see the login screen, where you can choose GNOME as the Session.

For the next time, you could download the GNOME Version of Mandriva.

6. No need to download a tarball, it should be in the repos. Just install it like in 3.

9. Like sad in 3. install the package firefox-3.0. After that you find the icon in the Internet section of your menu. It will be called "Firefox Web Browser".

Hope this will help you.

TeaAge

Fzang
July 30th, 2008, 06:16 PM
EDIT: found the CD

TeaAge
July 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah, it's a bit difficult, especially if you don't know that it exist.

Here is a link to Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring GNOME ONE
ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/official/iso/2008.1/mandriva-linux-one-2008-spring-GNOME-int-cdrom-i586.iso

That is the Live CD with GNOME Desktop.

But you can also download Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring FREE DVD (4,8GB)
ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/official/iso/2008.1/mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-dvd-i586.iso

It's only a install DVD (no Live modi) and there is only open-source software in it (no proprietary drivers etc) but you can install it later.

TeaAge

wxnker
July 31st, 2008, 12:47 AM
The package "awn-extras-applets" is in the contrib repos. To install firefox 3 you'll need to enable the "backports repos" (not enabled by default). For more information on installing software, adding media and backports go here: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Basic_tasks/Installing_and_removing_software

I would also recommend the official Mandriva forum: http://forum.mandriva.com/

Enjoy Mandriva, :)
wxnker

Fzang
July 31st, 2008, 11:25 AM
Yea, I'm also on mandrivaforums... but I post so much I feel a bit like I'm flooding the forums, so I try to dump a bit of my stupid questions off here..

:D

djbsteart1
July 31st, 2008, 11:30 AM
No its cool posting there. It seems you have answers to your questions apart from the storage media thingy, does that go away in Gnome? I thought it was a KDE thing.

Fzang
August 2nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Yup, it's gone in GNOME

I love GNOME... looks much more tidy :d

djbsteart1
August 3rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
I'm playing with MDV and gnome now, its the furthest I have managed, but it just isn't as configurable as KDE, but I don't know, it needs more time.

Odd question, who are you on the MDV forums?

wxnker
August 3rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Yea, I'm also on mandrivaforums... but I post so much I feel a bit like I'm flooding the forums, so I try to dump a bit of my stupid questions off here..

:D

There is no such thing as a stupid question. Flood ahead mate. :D

BTW: Me at the Mandriva forums--> HedgeSlammer.

djbsteart1
August 6th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Fzang, who are you? Schultz here,