PDA

View Full Version : JDK won't work

the_real_fourthdimension
July 30th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Hey All

I'm trying to work on a java project, but my JDK seems to be messed up. It gives me errors in simple hello world programs or when I do things like create new objects, etc. I've been working with java for a little while now, so I know that there's no errors in the code it's compiling. I installed it with
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
I'm getting frustrated with it because I'm pressed for time with this project but can't code. Can anyone tell me why my JDK isn't working?
Thanks a lot.

tinny
July 30th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Hey All

I'm trying to work on a java project, but my JDK seems to be messed up. It gives me errors in simple hello world programs or when I do things like create new objects, etc. I've been working with java for a little while now, so I know that there's no errors in the code it's compiling. I installed it with
I'm getting frustrated with it because I'm pressed for time with this project but can't code. Can anyone tell me why my JDK isn't working?
Thanks a lot.

A few things to check.

java -version
javac -version

Can you post back the output.

Also, are you using an IDE? If so you need to check that the IDE is pointing to the correct java complier and runtime.

the_real_fourthdimension
July 30th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks.

me@my-machine:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_06"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_06-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode)
me@my-machine:~$ javac -version
javac 1.6.0_06

Yeah, I thought it might be just the IDE, but I've tried three of them and compiling via the command line with the same results. Import statements aren't working, creating new objects gives me compile errors, etc.

Zugzwang
July 30th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I thought it might be just the IDE, but I've tried three of them and compiling via the command line with the same results. Import statements aren't working, creating new objects gives me compile errors, etc.

Please post a simple hello world you wrote, where you put that file, which command you use for compiling in which directory, which errors you get (please copy&paste) and the contents of your CLASSPATH variable.

the_real_fourthdimension
July 30th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Well, I removed java and purged/reinstalled it again, and now object creation and almost everything else works... the only thing that is still giving me trouble is importing. When I try to import the Sacnner class (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Scanner.html), I get
The import java.util.Scanner cannot be resolved Is the version of JDK I got working too old to use Scanner?
Thanks.

tinny
July 30th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Well, I removed java and purged/reinstalled it again, and now object creation and almost everything else works... the only thing that is still giving me trouble is importing. When I try to import the Sacnner class (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Scanner.html), I get
The import java.util.Scanner cannot be resolved Is the version of JDK I got working too old to use Scanner?
Thanks.

Your using JDK 6, right? So no its not too old.

Do you get this above problem when compiling at the command line?

hod139
July 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
How did you install java?

The following should work and set every thing up correctly. First, install

And set up

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun

the_real_fourthdimension
July 31st, 2008, 04:43 AM
Compiling this from the command line:

import java.util.Scanner;
public class test1 {
public static void main(String[] args) {

Scanner sc = new Scanner();
}

}

gives me this:

test1.java:5: cannot find symbol
symbol : constructor Scanner()
^
1 error

In eclipse:

The import java.util.Scanner cannot be resolved.
Scanner cannot be resolved to a type.

and in geany:

cannot find symbol
symbol: constructor Scanner()
^

I used the suggested method to reinstall java before posting this.
Thanks for all the help. I'm really hoping that I'm just making some stupid mistake that is easy and quick to fix...

tinny
July 31st, 2008, 04:49 AM
Compiling this from the command line:

import java.util.Scanner;
public class test1 {
public static void main(String[] args) {

}

}

gives me this:

test1.java:5: cannot find symbol
symbol : constructor Scanner()
^
1 error

In eclipse:

The import java.util.Scanner cannot be resolved.
Scanner cannot be resolved to a type.

and in geany:

cannot find symbol
symbol: constructor Scanner()
^

I used the suggested method to reinstall java before posting this.
Thanks for all the help. I'm really hoping that I'm just making some stupid mistake that is easy and quick to fix...

Scanner doesnt have a default constructor.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Scanner.html

Try using one of the parameterised constructors :)

E.g.

new Scanner(System.in);

In eclipse this should show up in the "Problems" view.

the_real_fourthdimension
July 31st, 2008, 05:17 AM
Thanks! Now geany and the terminal compile it correctly. Eclipse, however, still gives me the same errors it gave me before. The same errors it gave me when I had tried to use the scanner class with an older version of java. Is it possible that it's pointing to an older version of java? How do I update it's path?
Thanks a lot! I feel stupid for those earlier mistakes, but at least they were easliy fixed. :)

ceclauson
July 31st, 2008, 06:58 AM
It might be the case that Eclipse is using an older version of the compiler. To check and possibly change this, go to Project > Properties, and a dialog should come up. On the list on the left, select "Java Compiler", and on the right you should see what version of Java you're using. To change this, click the "Enable Project Specific Settings", and you're good to go.

the_real_fourthdimension
July 31st, 2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks. I changed that from 5.0 to 6.0 and restarted eclipse, but I'm getting the same error on import java.util.Scanner. I don't see why it still isn't working.

tinny
July 31st, 2008, 08:05 AM
2 more things to check.

1. Make sure that the "JRE System Library" is setup as a library for your project.

Right click your project "Properties" > "Java build path", libraries lab. You should see "JRE System Library..." if you are setup correctly. If not click "Add library" and add "JRE System Library".

2. Make sure you haven't overridden your workspace complier settings at the project level.

Right click your project "Properties" > "Java Compiler", make sure that "Enable project specific settings" is NOT checked.

Good luck :)

the_real_fourthdimension
July 31st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hmm... Both of those seem to be set up correctly... So that brings up two questions. One is the obvious how do I fix it, and two - what could I have done to mess things up this badly. :)

the_real_fourthdimension
August 6th, 2008, 03:50 AM
](*,)

tinny
August 6th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Can you post screen shots of the following.

1. "Windows" > "Preferences" > "Java" > "Installed JREs"

2. Right click project > "Properties" > "Java Compiler"

3. Right click project > "Properties" > "Java Build path" > libraries tab.

the_real_fourthdimension
August 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Sure.

tinny
August 6th, 2008, 09:55 PM
You are still using the GNU version of the JDK.

In “Window” > “Preferences” > “Installed JREs” you need to “Add” the Sun JDK and set it as the default.

The JDK should be in the "/usr/lib/jvm/" folder.

the_real_fourthdimension
August 7th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Thank you so much!!!!

tobias-mansson
October 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Finally someone with a good answer. Been searching for this answer for ages.

Shin_Gouki2501
October 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I'm still not sure but:
Those "gcj"-stuff really messes up the java experience of many java "newcomers". I hope open jdk will come to ubuntu soon...and that it will work "better".

jac0117
November 16th, 2008, 12:35 AM

In “Window” > “Preferences” > “Installed JREs” you need to “Add” the Sun JDK and set it as the default.

Thank you.... This worked for me as well

Klayy
November 16th, 2008, 11:39 PM

Words of wisdom. You saved my life there

The Resident Expert
November 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Words of wisdom. You saved my life there

Mine as well!

jespdj
November 19th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I'm still not sure but:
Those "gcj"-stuff really messes up the java experience of many java "newcomers". I hope open jdk will come to ubuntu soon...and that it will work "better".
OpenJDK is the default Java on Ubuntu 8.10, and ofcourse it's much better than GNU Java (GCJ).

houedanou
November 26th, 2008, 04:23 PM
2 more things to check.

1. Make sure that the "JRE System Library" is setup as a library for your project.

Right click your project "Properties" > "Java build path", libraries lab. You should see "JRE System Library..." if you are setup correctly. If not click "Add library" and add "JRE System Library".

2. Make sure you haven't overridden your workspace complier settings at the project level.

Right click your project "Properties" > "Java Compiler", make sure that "Enable project specific settings" is NOT checked.

Good luck :)

Thank you so much...

uncibex
April 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM

Thank you so much!! Every time I've updated ubuntu I've had to fix this again and have had to just stumble around until I found something that miraculously worked. I'm so glad to have found someone who knows what's going on!

alchi
August 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM

That's just what I was lookin for?

Thanx a lot

lixinsbgtf
April 17th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Thank you so much!!!