PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] [SOLVED] Desktop Right-Click Menu (Submenus)

quazi
July 30th, 2008, 05:17 AM
So I've been using nautilus actions to successfully (to an extent) modify my right-click menu on the desktop. The way to do that is add an entry in nautilus-actions-config and under advanced conditions add the condition "x-nautilus-desktop". I'm not sure how to remove the default items (or if I even can).

What I'm trying to do now (and not sure if it's possible) is add a submenu with nautilus actions so I don't have one huge menu when I right click the desktop. Any suggestions?

CC_Joe
July 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Fluxbox!

If you want serious desktop clicking functionality, that's the way to go. I'm not so sure how to go about it through gnome.

Gourgi
July 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM
try compiz desktop menu
http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=7070

http://gitweb.compiz-fusion.org/?p=users/crdlb/compiz-deskmenu;a=summary

or compiz desktop click
http://gitweb.compiz-fusion.org/?p=users/smspillaz/desktopclick;a=summary

quazi
July 31st, 2008, 04:55 AM
Got it, thanks for the help. I found the compiz-deskmenu to be the best option. The documentation is a wee bit lacking for new users like me, but after enough googling/apt-cache searching I found what I needed. Here's what I had to do to replace the default right-click menu on the desktop:

compiz-deskmenu

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2474/cpzdeskmenuwr4.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cpzdeskmenuwr4.jpg)
Obviously compiz needs to be running for this to work and a few packages are necessary beforehand.

Open a terminal and enter
sudo apt-get install python-lxml libgtk2.0-dev libwnck-dev libdbus-1-dev git-core compizconfig-settings-manager libdbus-glib-1-dev

Now enter
$ cd ~
$ git clone git://anongit.compiz-fusion.org/users/crdlb/compiz-deskmenu
$ cd compiz-deskmenu
$ make
$ sudo make install

To make this menu show up we need to make some changes in the compiz settings. To bring this up, simply open a terminal and enter
ccsm

Now we just need to map this to the right mouse button. When in ccsm, click on general options and go under the commands tab and commands dropdown menu. Click on one of these that's unused and set it to compiz-deskmenu. Now go to Viewport switcher and set the Plugin for initiate action to "core" and the action name for initiate to "run_command#_key", where # is the number of the command corresponding to compiz-deskmenu. Change initiate plugin action key to Button 3 and now the right mouse button should popup the compiz deskmenu. If you'd prefer to keep the gnome right click menu, just leave initiate plugin action as button 2. To edit the menu, just click on the edit item in the menu.

One quirk I've noticed with the menu editor is that icons need to be located under /usr/share/pixmaps.

Rubicon421
December 8th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Anyone know why my right click menu would just quit working altogether? Ubuntu 8.10/GNOME, with Compiz and Avant.

Desktop icons are not displayed, but if I go to the dsktop folder in a file manager then they are there and I can right click the folder. Right clicking the desktop does nothing though.

View my other posts for more info, I started one on it a while ago but just found this one that was kinda related.

Doc Hoss
December 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Maybe you have Button 3 set to initiate compiz-deskmenu, but deskmenu is broken? I'm having that same problem. Followed the above install instructions for deskmenu but it does nothing when I set it to use button 2 or 3. Any ideas?

quazi
December 16th, 2008, 11:25 PM
There were a couple of typo's in my post which could easily have caused this to not work. Here's the passage which you should look at again:

"Now go to Viewport switcher and set the Plugin for initiate action to core and the action name for initiate to run_command#_key, where # is the number of the command corresponding to compiz-deskmenu."

Before I had said "run_command0_key" which is only correct if you have compiz-deskmenu as your first command.

Additionally, try holding down control when you right-click. For me that brings up the gnome right-click menu regardless of what I have compiz-deskmenu set to.

Boaslad
February 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
o.k. this was cool. but I have one issue that I hope some one can help with. I want the Ubuntu Main Menu to come up when I right click. Any idea how to make that work with this?

quazi
February 17th, 2009, 11:30 PM
o.k. this was cool. but I have one issue that I hope some one can help with. I want the Ubuntu Main Menu to come up when I right click. Any idea how to make that work with this?

I don't know how to do this, but I suspect it can be done (Alt+F1 brings up the menu, so I'm sure there's a command to bring it up).

merlin_ie
July 6th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Great thread, helped me out a lot. But, I can't get the icons in the menu like you said. They are in the /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16 category like you said, but all I get beside the label is a big red X. So, is there anything you can suggest or that I might be doing wrong?

quazi
July 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Great thread, helped me out a lot. But, I can't get the icons in the menu like you said. They are in the /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16 category like you said, but all I get beside the label is a big red X. So, is there anything you can suggest or that I might be doing wrong?

Put them in /usr/share/pixmaps.

DumaIT
October 29th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Great Topic, but in newest version of Compiz, if I set core and run_command#_key doesn't work.
I'm running Ubuntu Lucid and Compiz Works good... someone could help me?

____EDIT____

Ok, I've solved... instead of core, now we have to use
commands!