PDA

View Full Version : FTP GUI anyone ?

flower
November 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Is anybody using a nice FTP gui program?
I mean ... yeah .. I can do with gFTP but it sucks ...
I tried also kasablanka and kbear (but KDE ... bleah .. )

On windows I'm using FileZilla wich is nearly perfect in 96% of interface and functionality ... It has a nice Site Manager (drag&drop stuff included), nice GUI (again drag&drop super useful), it's multithreaded, it supports ftp, sftp, ftp over ssh2, it has a CLEAR way to show the processed files, and it has a log of the ftp commands, also import & export of the stored sites. The author works on the Linux version ... but I don't see much progress ...

In general every Ftp client has these, but either it's ugly or it is not user friendly (at least I didn't found one that I like) ...

I'm playing with the source of one (CubeFtp) but it doesn't seem as I have enough time to make it as good as I want ...

So ... anyone to recommend a good FTP gui ?

cyrax
November 8th, 2005, 09:56 AM
why GUI`??

A-star
November 8th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Just a suggestion, you can run FileZilla if you use wine.

frodon
November 8th, 2005, 11:52 AM
You could try : IglooFTP (http://www.iglooftp.com/unix/download.html), AxYFTP (http://www.wxftp.seul.org/), NFTP (http://www.ayukov.com/nftp/index.html), yafc (http://yafc.sourceforge.net/), DPS-FTP (http://dpsftp.sourceforge.net/), ...

Jonne
November 8th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Filezilla is coming to Linux in version 3.0. Just wait a bit :). I find the lack of a nice GUI ftp app annoying too.

frodon
November 8th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Yes there isn't many good FTP clients for the moment but i like gFTP personally :)

Jonne
November 8th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I *use* gFTP, but I don't *like* it ;).

asimon
November 8th, 2005, 12:51 PM
If I don't use lftp I just use Konqueror, it's GUI is good enough for my ftp needs.

flower
November 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
why GUI : I'm a web developer - I need a powerful program to handle my ftp stuff - it remembers the login data, and the default folders. It's drag&drop so I can see what I'm doing, and lot of other stuff

filezilla + wine : I tried that some time ago, but it's buggy (specially the ftp commands log which is important to me) and the interface is sluggish, the folders are organized wine way with drives etc. I'm not excited about it

filezilla3 : yes the site says it's under development but I downloaded cuple of time snapshots and I don't see any progress ... :(((((

thanks for the other propositions guys, I'm gonna give them a try :)

flower
November 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM
yeah, and just an addition to my post :

I'm not just asking for a good program, bcz see I'm mad GUI guy or something like this ...
I do websites and I just need a lot of features to save time ...

Jonne
November 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM
hey, i'm in the same boat as you. gFTP kinda works for me, but i'd prefer filezilla.

flower
November 8th, 2005, 01:32 PM
well yes that's the exact problem ! gFTP kinda works ... with a site manager and drag&drop this program will do but ...

crypto178
November 8th, 2005, 02:17 PM
It is possible to bookmark locations (with password) in gFTP, while it's not a full featured site manager it is enough for me...
The lack of drag&drop support is annoying though.

flower
November 8th, 2005, 04:45 PM
here's some outcome from my tries to beautify the GUI of ftpcube ...

I've made a new Site Manager (in the screenshot) and I'm trying to make buttons and texts to be smaller ... but I guess I don't know python enough to make the program complete ... drag & drop for example is a mistery at this point :)

frodon
November 8th, 2005, 04:50 PM
wow, it looks good !!

is it in the repositories and does the drag & drop work with ftpcube ?

endersshadow
November 8th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah, dude, that definitely looks awesome. Make sure to make that available...perhaps somebody else with Python experience can help you with the drag and drop.

Stormy Eyes
November 8th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Firefox has a fireFTP extension that allows Firefox to act as an ftp client. Also, you can configure Nautilus to open ftp connections and store passwords in a keyring. What exactly is wrong with gFTP? I've used it for years without any trouble.

Jonne
November 8th, 2005, 05:26 PM
If you've used Filezilla on Windows, you'll probably want to use it on Linux too. It's just the best FTP app I've ever used.

Mr. Electric Wizard
November 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I curious about the FileZilla multi thread issue.
Does this make the transfers faster?
I noticed that the new NewsReader programs are multithreading too (newsBinPro).

flower
November 9th, 2005, 10:10 AM
to Mr. Electric Wizard : yes multithreading means the client opens few ftp connection to the same server and uploads/downloads few files at the same time - it's a bit faster when you upl/download big count of small files

to Jonne : yes, I totally agree FileZilla is the best one ... no much progress on ver.3 tough :( are you a belgian ?

to frodon & endersshadow : yeah I put a lot of work, bcz ftpcube was written in older ver. of Python and older ver. of wxWindows, so ... I fixed the code to work with the current versions, and I have put some work on the GUI ... but still there are some serious issues / bugs there ... it goes slow tough and I doubt I can make it alone

-------------------
wow .. one of you tol me about fireftp and I must say it's really nice ... it just lacks a site manager, but it's really nice : http://fireftp.mozdev.org/

jasidog
May 5th, 2006, 06:04 PM
You can get recent nightlies of Filezilla3 that seem to work ok on Breezy here - http://filezilla-project.org/nightly.php

Just extract and run the binary.

I've not had a chance to really play about with it. I'm sure there are bugs but is seems to work ok.

Stormy Eyes
May 5th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Try the FireFTP extension for Firefox.

aysiu
May 5th, 2006, 06:15 PM
kftpgrabber is the closest native Linux application I've seen to FileZilla, and it's available in the Dapper Universe repositories.

Jonne
May 5th, 2006, 07:47 PM
You can get recent nightlies of Filezilla3 that seem to work ok on Breezy here - http://filezilla-project.org/nightly.php

Just extract and run the binary.

I've not had a chance to really play about with it. I'm sure there are bugs but is seems to work ok.
thanks for telling us.

It seems to work ok (in Dapper).

I just extracted it in my home directory and it worked from there. Where should it be placed ideally? I'm a Linux n00b, and I'm still not sure where exactly apps should be stored on the Linux file system ;).

Also, it looks like a QT app, so I think you'll need some of the KDE libs to be able to run it. I'm not certain though.

SeanTater
May 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM
100% kio/konqueror here -- with it I see no need for an ftp program

prizrak
May 5th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I prefer cuteFTP on Windows personally. I want FileZilla server to be ported to Linux, it was the easiest FTP server I have EVER had to setup (then again my FTP serving experience went from ServU to first ever FileZilla to ProFTPd to latest FileZilla)
It will be nice when FZ 3.0 comes out for Linux though, the devs did a great job with it and it is very powerful for those who have to deal with alot of FTP sites. I believe it also supports encrypted downloading and pausing.

INMCM
May 5th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Recently I've been using VirgoFTP http://virgoftp.auserver.net/

It written in Java, but's it's REALLY nice even.

mustang
May 5th, 2006, 10:36 PM
FlashFXP 2.1 w/wine

can't beat good old flashfxp

htinn
May 5th, 2006, 10:44 PM
For FTP: <insert name of favorite file manager here>

pianoboy3333
May 5th, 2006, 10:50 PM
For FTP: <insert name of favorite file manager here>

So we can use nautilus as an FTP? I've got an idea, instead of wining about not finding one you like, *make* one to suit your needs!

prizrak
May 5th, 2006, 11:56 PM
So we can use nautilus as an FTP? I've got an idea, instead of wining about not finding one you like, *make* one to suit your needs!
If you missed it he did mention trying. Also not everyone posseses the knowledge to create an FTP application. I for one do not, despite being able to program in multiple languages.

htinn
May 6th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Actually, I have used Nautilus for FTP and it works great. Now, I generally prefer to use something like Worker or Krusader, but you see where I'm going with this.

prizrak
May 6th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Actually, I have used Nautilus for FTP and it works great. Now, I generally prefer to use something like Worker or Krusader, but you see where I'm going with this.
Nautilus works just fine as well as Firefox or even IE, the problem however is certain features that come in specialized FTP cients. Nautilus doesn't multithread or pause/resume dls, it doesn't support encryption, the list goes on and on.
This is basically the thing, for any regular user Nautilus will work just fine or anything else that is fairly basic. Just like MS Paint worked fine for me when I needed to do some basic picture editing but for anything more than that you need a specialized program.

Dark Tranquility
May 6th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Yes Nautilus works great for me too!
I also like Igloo

aysiu
May 8th, 2006, 05:55 AM
I wouldn't have said this a year ago, but I just tried FireFTP, and it blew me away.

It has improved a lot in the past year. It is definitely the best FTP client I have seen--simple but powerful. My previous favorite was FileZilla, which is powerful but not that simple. For Linux, KFTPGrabber came close to FileZilla, but it also lacked FireFTP's simplicity.

The best thing about FireFTP is its integration with the browser (just another tab), which makes it cross-platform. I can use it in OS X, XP, and Dapper.

New things I'm impressed by:

1. Remembering directories--both local and remote--and tailored specifically for each site.

2. Security protocols

SolidAndShade
May 8th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Flower, have you tried using Nautilus's FTP functionality? Just select "Connect to Server" from Nautilus's File menu to connect to a remote server. Dragging and dropping is very easy, since Nautilus handles all the graphical file browsing on a typical Gnome Ubuntu installation. Whenever you create a "Connect to Server" link in Nautilus you are asked what folder you want to link to, so you can create mount points for many different places within an FTP server's directory tree.

arachn1d
May 13th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I actually like FireFTP alot. It's fun :)

TheApe
May 13th, 2006, 12:29 AM
lftp can handle the job

On windows, I used to use leachftp, or other Visual ftp client.
Since I'm web developer and have to upload and download lots of files, this was the best choice.

I think gftp is very weak. And haven't found any other GUI ftp client. Then I decided to go to the command line, and found lftp. The best feature for me is the function mirror. I can use it to sync any directory tree(even the whole ftp site). So if I make some change on local i just hit mirror -R and it puts just the changed and newer files. It's such a nice tool for working with websites.

Lftp can even handles bookmarks and have others great features.
Geave it a try ;)

sudo apt-get install lftp

hizaguchi
May 13th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Fuse's sshfs is the way to go. You can just mount your webspace like a local directory and then edit and save your files without needing to move them around or anything.