PDA

View Full Version : Plz List your computer specifications for me!

rakan_dr
July 30th, 2008, 01:31 AM
hi, i want to buy a new computer. Please guys can you list your computers specifications so I can find good plans. Plz note if a piece of hardware isn't ubuntu compatible.
Thanks.

scragar
July 30th, 2008, 01:44 AM
let's see:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 dual core 2.2 GHz
Graphics: Radeon HD 2400 PRO
RAM: 1GB
Audio: NVidia CK804 chipset, I can only get mono sound :(

That's about all I can think of, system all works perfectly except for the sound, which as I've explained only gives mono instead of stereo.

NineseveN
July 30th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Pentium Core 2 Duo Wolfdale 3.0ghz - works flawlessly (obviously).
Asus P5Q Mainboard - works great, except the onboard ethernet chip requires a little configuring to get going.
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB - Works flawlessly using EnvyNG to install the proprietary driver.
Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB SATA drive - Works great, but does require SATA mode to be set to ACHI in the BIOS (as will all SATA drives if I'm not mistaken).
4gb OCZ DDR800 ram (2x2gb) in dual channel mode - works flawlessly.

Running Ubuntu 8.04.1 64bit, after I got the ethernet working (took about 10 minutes), it's been running like a champ.

tuxxy
July 30th, 2008, 01:46 AM
See sig, both systems AMD :guitar:

EDIT: I would recommend an nVidia card

hansdown
July 30th, 2008, 01:49 AM
hi, i want to buy a new computer. Please guys can you list your computers specifications so I can find good plans. Plz note if a piece of hardware isn't ubuntu compatible.
Thanks.

Hi rakan_dr. My computer specs are below, and my printer is hp c4210....works great! Most new hp printers are good to go. Hope this helps.

eximius1
July 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I would recommend you go to this website:

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

They helped me build my rig which I'm very happy with:

C2D E4400
Asus P5B Motherboard
2GB OCZ RAM
7900GTX GFX Card
NZXT Lexa case
Hiper 450W PSU

The resident linux expert "Valis" should be able to tell you if the components are compatible with linux.

Good luck :)

rakan_dr
July 30th, 2008, 01:52 AM
plz guys don't forget to mention the motherboard vendor and number. Plz mention if the suspense mode works with you.

steveneddy
July 30th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Buy a system76 PC or laptop and use HP printers.

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2 Ghz
2 Gig RAM
Nvidia graphics w/ 256 mb vram
Interl Wireless

USB, Firewire, DVD, wireless, web cam, sound and SD card reader work out of the box.

tuxxy
July 30th, 2008, 01:53 AM
AMD 690G motherboards - I disabled all suspend/power saving features

philetus
July 30th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Are you building it yourself?

johnlvs2run
July 30th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I'm very happy with my first build from Newegg, shown in signature, with a couple of exceptions.

1) The Seagate hard drive gets hot, and there was some problem with getting the Sata drive recognized. Next time I'll stick with Western Digital.

2) The onboard Nvidia video is still having issues, all their support is MS based, and they suggest the chipset on the Biostar board might also be an issue, as my HP printer is still not working with the motherboard. Other issues with Nvidia were web pages and videos being torn and fragmented, until release of their latest driver, and Firefox being all black, which is still the case and I'm using Epiphany. Below are email replies that I got from Nvidia.

Does Windows XP have the same issue?

Sorry, we don't have support for Linux so unsure if it's driver related.
The port is standard, so suppose Linux should have the drivers by default.

When you mention Windows XP doesn't work at all, what do you mean?

This HP printer is supposed to work automatically with Linux.

As mentioned, should work, but if Linux does not recognize this boards I/O chipset, it may not install the drivers correctly. If possible please try Windows XP to see if it’s a software or hardware issue.

I will not use Nvidia again, unless all of their issues with Linux are resolved.

kuja
July 30th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Intel DX38BT
2GiB DDR3 1333 memory
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 CPU
SATA 3.0Gb/s hdd
MSI NX8600GT VGA
Seasonic 500watt PSU

Motherboards a bit picky about memory - definitely check for compatibility, I have issues with the Patriot memory I got and I still haven't gotten around to doing anythinga bout it.

NVidia Geforce 8/9 blob drivers have major 2D accel problems in Linux, which hits hard especially hard if you use KDE4 with desktop effects turned on. 3d performance is still quite nice though.

Performs nice, relatively affordable, only uses about 100-125W on idle.

3rods
July 30th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I guess you're just looking at desktops?

My Lenovo works great with Ubuntu. I've got:

X61 - 7675CTO
2Ghz C2D
2GB RAM
120GB Sata drive 7200RPM
DVD/CD-R/W Drive in the X6 Ultrabay or another sata drive
Intel Wifi B/G/N

I've even got the fingerprint reader working. Others have taken the time to get the hard drive active protection working too.

You can also get the Lenovos with Suse on them. Lenovo has a bunch of Suse certified laptops. At least you'll be sure linux drivers are available.

Nice laptop if you're looking for one.

Yes, it hibernates, sleeps and goes to stand by. Sometimes, the hibernate breaks on startup, but that's rare.

rakan_dr
July 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Are you building it yourself?

Yes i do cuz it's cheaper.

rakan_dr
July 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Untill now i haven't found any FULL Linux compatible Desktop!

rbmorse
July 30th, 2008, 03:54 PM
My fully compatible Linux desktop

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R
Intel E8400 CPU
2 X 2 Gb Corsair XMMS2 (DDR2-6400) RAM
Gigabyte GV-RX387512H Video (ATI HD3870)
2 X 320 Gb Seagate SATA-2 hard drive (ST3320620A)
Apple 23 Inch CinemaHD display
HP Color LasrerJet 2605DN
HP Photosmart 1215 Inkjet printer
Epson Perfection 4490 Color scanner

tuxxy
July 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Heres my mina desktop, also fully compatible;

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz
AMD 690G Motherboard
XFX GeFORCE 8600GTS 512MB
8GB PC2-6400 800MHz DDR2
500GB Serial ATA II Seagate
20x Serial ATA Samsung DVDRW
On-board 8 Channel 7.1 Sound

rakan_dr
July 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Does any body has FULL linux compatible Desktop with ASUS motherboard????
I really like asus products, i want to buy the motherboard and the graphics card from ASUS.

rakan_dr
July 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Pentium Core 2 Duo Wolfdale 3.0ghz - works flawlessly (obviously).
Asus P5Q Mainboard - works great, except the onboard ethernet chip requires a little configuring to get going.
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB - Works flawlessly using EnvyNG to install the proprietary driver.
Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB SATA drive - Works great, but does require SATA mode to be set to ACHI in the BIOS (as will all SATA drives if I'm not mistaken).
4gb OCZ DDR800 ram (2x2gb) in dual channel mode - works flawlessly.

Running Ubuntu 8.04.1 64bit, after I got the ethernet working (took about 10 minutes), it's been running like a champ.

I just want to know if the motherboard is P5Q or P5Q Premium.
By the way what did you do for the ethernet chip?? Is it difficult to configure it?? Cuz i think that i'm going to buy this board, what do u think man?

kernelhaxor
July 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM
MB: Foxconn Intel 946 chipset
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86ghz
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 1TB (Western Digital 500GB x 2)
Graphics card: nvidia 8400gs 128MB
Network card: Marvell Gigabit Ethernet adapter
Audio: Realtek 8 channels ..

Everything worked out of the box for Ubuntu!

articpenguin
July 30th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I got
AMD Be-2350 2.1Ghz dualcore Brisbane
1 gig of ram
nforce 405 chipset
mcp61 <what ever that is
geforce 6100
Everything works

NineseveN
July 30th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I just want to know if the motherboard is P5Q or P5Q Premium.
By the way what did you do for the ethernet chip?? Is it difficult to configure it?? Cuz i think that i'm going to buy this board, what do u think man?

I got the regular P5Q since I did not need or want Crossfire support at this time (I'd rather upgrade to a better single card than run SLI/crossfire, which is dodgy in *nix IMHO anyway and I'd rather run Nvidia-based cards anyway).

With the Premium, you do get onboard Expressgate (a small linux install on an onboard solid state drive that you can boot to in 15-20 seconds to do simple things like e-mail and web browsing), but I didn't need that as my full Ubuntu install loads in about 40-45 seconds anyway. I just couldn't justify the cost (about twice the price at Newegg) for anything but the regular P5Q myself. I kinda wanted the expressgate (the regular P5Q has it, but it's a different version that you'd have to use a partition to install on your hard drive, which negates the novelty for me), but it's not a big deal and it certainly wasn't worth the extra $. I love my P5Q, though I do wish I could get LM-Sensors to work with it. All in due time I guess.

The ethernet chip was super easy, once I figured out what to do, it's like a total of 10 steps:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5456722&postcount=19

stchman
July 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks.

Everything is Ubuntu compatible on both of my PCs.

http://www.stchman.com/bitchest_pc.html

http://www.stchman.com/bitch_pc.html

rakan_dr
July 31st, 2008, 12:55 AM
I got the regular P5Q since I did not need or want Crossfire support at this time (I'd rather upgrade to a better single card than run SLI/crossfire, which is dodgy in *nix IMHO anyway and I'd rather run Nvidia-based cards anyway).

With the Premium, you do get onboard Expressgate (a small linux install on an onboard solid state drive that you can boot to in 15-20 seconds to do simple things like e-mail and web browsing), but I didn't need that as my full Ubuntu install loads in about 40-45 seconds anyway. I just couldn't justify the cost (about twice the price at Newegg) for anything but the regular P5Q myself. I kinda wanted the expressgate (the regular P5Q has it, but it's a different version that you'd have to use a partition to install on your hard drive, which negates the novelty for me), but it's not a big deal and it certainly wasn't worth the extra $. I love my P5Q, though I do wish I could get LM-Sensors to work with it. All in due time I guess.

The ethernet chip was super easy, once I figured out what to do, it's like a total of 10 steps:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5456722&postcount=19

Plz tell me about your motherboard experience and your computer overall performance.
I don't have enough budget now, so I want to buy a great motherboard now and then I'll upgrade my components step-by-step.
I want to buy a motherboard so i have the ability to upgrade to INTEL core 2 quad processor. Do you recommend this motherboard?? how many points do you give it????
These are my computer specifications now, which I will put the CPU and the RAM on the new board:
CPU: INTEL P4 3.6 2MB L2.
Motherboard: ASUS P5GZ-MX
RAM: Dynet 1GB DDR2 533
video card: Intel built in 64mb.
I want to know if P5Q is great for OC and gaming.

What are LM-sensors???

NineseveN
July 31st, 2008, 05:58 AM
Plz tell me about your motherboard experience and your computer overall performance.
I don't have enough budget now, so I want to buy a great motherboard now and then I'll upgrade my components step-by-step.

I spent $850 or so for my entire rig (sans monitor and DVD RW drive) from newegg.

I want to buy a motherboard so i have the ability to upgrade to INTEL core 2 quad processor. Do you recommend this motherboard?? how many points do you give it????

Points? I dunno, it's a solid Mobo, no problems or quirks and it has all the options I personally want/need and then some.

These are my computer specifications now, which I will put the CPU and the RAM on the new board:
CPU: INTEL P4 3.6 2MB L2.
Motherboard: ASUS P5GZ-MX
RAM: Dynet 1GB DDR2 533
video card: Intel built in 64mb.

As long as your Pentium 4 is an LGA 775 model, you should be good to go there, though the RAM is an off-list brand (not on Asus' recommended vendors) but generally, RAM should work, even if you need to use conservative settings for it to be stable for the time being.

I want to know if P5Q is great for OC and gaming.

Asus makes great boards, they tend to OC well (though I usually don't bother with that anymore). The P5Q has a single PCI-E slot, so no Crossfire/SLI, but if you spend the bucks to get a decent single card, that shouldn't be an issue. It all depends on how far you want to take it. Some people run 2 or 3 cards in SLI/Crossfire mode and OC their rigs to hell and back for a few more frames-per-second.

The one thing about the P5Q is that is has no fans on the mainboard, it uses a bunch of heatsinks instead, so if you OC and your case gets hot, you might need to invest in extra cooling solutions. My case temps are around 35-40c, but I don't OC and I have an Enermax Chakra case with the huge 250mm fan on the side and a Slipstream case fan for exhaust (using an Arctic Cooling Freezer pro-7 for the CPU cooler).

What are LM-sensors???

It's a piece of monitoring software for Linux (temps, fan speeds etc...).

kitili
July 31st, 2008, 06:07 AM
3.0GHz core2duo OC'd to 3.7
4gb gskill ram
2 x nvidia 8800gts's
about 1.4Tb combined

all works great

InfinityCircuit
July 31st, 2008, 06:40 AM
I have a great, new setup that was very cheap to buy:

Intel E7200 Core 2 Duo, overclocked to 3.156 Ghz from 2.53 Ghz (I will push this up to 4 Ghz once I get a better cooling system in place)

MSI P43 Neo3 Motherboard (This is a very nice motherboard, with an all-intel set of bridges. It has 4 RAM slots and has explicit directions on overclocking.)

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3650 (I wanted a graphics card that wasn't utter trash but I also don't need to game. This card is a nice balance. If I wanted something nicer I would get a 3870 or 4850.)

I have no CD drive haha I use a Targus USB from my Thinkpad at the moment until I get around to buying one.

rakan_dr
August 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
plz list for me some ASUS graphics cards that are fully compatable with Ubuntu. I want them GeForece plz.
thnx

Redache
August 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
Brand shouldn't matter with Video Cards, it depends on the card itself. Which Geforce series are you looking at? The 8 series should all work ok by now, I'm not 100% on how the newer 9 series cards work, it all depends on what Nvidia are doing with the Driver.

gsmanners
August 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Just tossing this out there:

http://www.linuxhardware.org/index.php?topic=12

qpieus
August 1st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6550
Graphics: onboard nvidia 7100
RAM: 2 gig (I forget the brand)
Motherboard: ECS GF7100PVT-M3 (V1.0) (nVIDIA Geforce 7100/nForce 630i chipset)

onboard gigabit ethernet, sound, and video work great with 8.04

bobbocanfly
August 1st, 2008, 06:23 PM
Packard Bell <something>

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4GHz
1GB DDR2 RAM
NVidia GeForce 7300 SE (Works fine but you have to install proprietary drivers)
VIA Technologies P4M890 Chipset Mobo (You have to manually turn the volume up in alsamixer to get any sound out of the built in sound controller)

tel93
August 2nd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Generic Laptop
AMD K6-2 366
128MB of PC100
2MB C&T video card

perlluver
August 2nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Biostar motherboard with Nvidia chipset.
512 MB Memory
AMD Sempron 3400+ Processor, 2.0GHz
Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 Graphics Card

All running fine under all of the Linux's I have tried.

jonelnz
August 2nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
HP a6260a

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad
RAM: 2GB DDR2
HD: Samsung Sata 500GB

Pocket Media Drive Bay
Multi Card Reader

Video: nVidia 8400 GS
NIC: Intel Gigabyte 10/100
Monitor: HP 19" WLCD

Onboard Sound

Run's great with 8.04.1

regomodo
August 2nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
`

fatality_uk
August 2nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Im just off to Tesco to buy one of these.
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.901-2518.aspx

Nice price for that kit. Plus I am being lazy and just cant be bothered to build another PC.

Frak
August 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Intel P4 Prescott HT 2.8GHz
Nvidia 6800 XT
Seagate 250GB HD
768MB RAM
Pure Intel Mobo
LiteOn 450W PSU
Hewlett-Packard Lightscribe DVD+-R/RW

Everything works perfectly. TF2 actually runs blazing under this (under Windows XP of course).

Canis familiaris
August 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ @ 2.3Ghz (65nm)
ASUS M2A-VM
(Integrated) ATI Radeon Xpress 1250
2 X Corsair Value 1 GB DDR2 RAM @ 667 Mhz (Latency: 5-5-5-15)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 2500AAKS
Samsung DVD-Writer (SATA)
CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus (390W)
Zebonics Cabinet

UPS: APC BackUPS ES 500

Currently I have a crappy 15inch CRT. I plan to buy a Dell LCD monitor though.

I am also considering buying a graphics card. But I am at loss whether to buy nVidia now or buy ATi later.

mips
August 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
I'm very happy with my first build from Newegg, shown in signature, with a couple of exceptions.

1) The Seagate hard drive gets hot, and there was some problem with getting the Sata drive recognized. Next time I'll stick with Western Digital.

Weird as my WD drives run about 10°C hotter than my Seagate drives. I will double check this just to be certain.

Edit: My two seagates run at 44°C & my WD runs at 51°C, this is with my case fan disabled. I don't know how to check the temp of my external WD as SMART does not seem accesable via USB.

bsmith1051
August 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ @ 2.3Ghz (65nm)
ASUS M2A-VM
(Integrated) ATI Radeon Xpress
How's the compatibility on that motherboard? Does the ATI video work with the supplied 'proprietary' driver? Did you have to do any extra work to make anything else work properly?

johnlvs2run
August 2nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
My two seagates run at 44°C & my WD runs at 51°C, this is with my case fan disabled.

Interesting. That's 111 and 124 F.

The reading on my board is 96 F (36 C), due to it's not yet being in the case.

I don't have a temp for the Seagate HD except that it's hot to the touch.