PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vista & Ubuntu Dual Boot: Different drives?

project6
July 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Hi

I have Vista installed and a spare drive and was thinking about installing Ubuntu and dual boot.

I found some tutorials on this, but they all seem to install Ubuntu onto the Windows partition. Is it possible to keep Windows on C: and install Ubuntu on a different drive? Or does Ubuntu need to be on the System partition?

/p6

Pumalite
July 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
This will help:
Search in this Forum:
Dualboot Two Hard Drives - Ubuntu Forums
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179902&highlight=Dualboot+Hard+Drives

cmay
July 29th, 2008, 11:17 PM
yes its possible to have two drives whit windows on the first and ubuntu on the next. its also the very most easy setup. if you have
the regular install cd that uses live-cd install then just boot that up and when it ask what drive to use say use entire disk that is NOT in use by windows. i cant renember the drive letters for windows but windows can only be on c:\ drive.
linux can be on all drives and partions other than floppy i think.
its also possible to install a pendrive linux so that if you have a usb stick large than 2giga byte you can use that also.
i always had two drives whit one windows and one ubuntu before i switched to linux only. now i have one linux on one drive on one computer since i have more old computers than i can afford drives .
hope it helps.

project6
July 29th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not familiar with the installation of Ubuntu, but if it's as easy as you describe I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

If I leave my drive unformatted then will Ubuntu installer choose it? (all others are formated with NTFS/FAT) I have several drives on my system and don't want Ubuntu to overwrite anything.

Sef
July 29th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Read Ubuntu Hardy Heron Two Disc Multi Boot (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p14.htm).

Pumalite
July 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not familiar with the installation of Ubuntu, but if it's as easy as you describe I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

If I leave my drive unformatted then will Ubuntu installer choose it? (all others are formated with NTFS/FAT) I have several drives on my system and don't want Ubuntu to overwrite anything.

You have to format yor drive. Ubuntu cannot be installed in unallocated space.