PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nvidia-glx-new breaks X.org - Must install binary driver from nVidia:s homepage

zooounds
July 29th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Now I'm beginning to to swear over this.

I have posted about this before but got no good answer.

I have until now used the binary driver from Nvidia:s homepage (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run) but now when 169.12 is in the respos, I would like to install it the "correct" way.

I uninstalled the driver with "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run --uninstall"
Everything worked nice.

I install "nvidia-glx-new" instead and restart gdm.

After some flickering gdm says it must start in failsafe mode.

How do I solve this?!

I have not modified the x.org-file so the server should start nicely.

Can I get X.org to log more verbose? All I see now is that it couldn't find any compatible glx blaha?

zooounds
July 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I get following:

API mismatch: the client has the version 169.12, but
this kernel module has the version 71.86.04. Please
make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
components have the same version.

stchman
July 29th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Now I'm beginning to to swear over this.

I have posted about this before but got no good answer.

I have until now used the binary driver from Nvidia:s homepage (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run) but now when 169.12 is in the respos, I would like to install it the "correct" way.

I uninstalled the driver with "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run --uninstall"
Everything worked nice.

I install "nvidia-glx-new" instead and restart gdm.

After some flickering gdm says it must start in failsafe mode.

How do I solve this?!

I have not modified the x.org-file so the server should start nicely.

Can I get X.org to log more verbose? All I see now is that it couldn't find any compatible glx blaha?

Just enable the restricted driver. What model of nvidia card do you have? Only the newer ones need the 169.12 driver.

zooounds
July 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Just enable the restricted driver. What model of nvidia card do you have? Only the newer ones need the 169.12 driver.

I have tried that. I still get the same error.

I have a 8800GT that need the latest driver.

zooounds
July 29th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Here is the same problem again:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=818804

And here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112719

The latest guy had to reinstall Ubuntu to fix it.

There must be a better solution than that...

zooounds
July 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Could this be the problem?

f@air:~$ sudo jockey-gtk
WARNING: /sys/module/nvidia_new/drivers does not exist, cannot rebind nvidia_new driver
WARNING: modinfo for module nvidia failed: modinfo: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.24-20-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko: No such file or directory

kidux
July 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Could this be the problem?

f@air:~$ sudo jockey-gtk
WARNING: /sys/module/nvidia_new/drivers does not exist, cannot rebind nvidia_new driver
WARNING: modinfo for module nvidia failed: modinfo: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.24-20-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko: No such file or directory

If you compile the binary driver yourself from nVidia, it makes a module specific to the kernel. You may be having conflicts between the module and driver loading, so you should see about removing the old module and seeing if that works.

zooounds
July 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
If you compile the binary driver yourself from nVidia, it makes a module specific to the kernel. You may be having conflicts between the module and driver loading, so you should see about removing the old module and seeing if that works.

I have removed it completky - same error.