PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Manually Change Screen Resolutions

tim.n9puz
July 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I just installed XUbuntu 8.04 on a machine with built-in nVidia display hardware. I have enabled the proprietary drivers and installed the nvidia-settings package to make changes to the resolution.

It appears the default resolution is 640x480 or less.

When I run the nvidia settings app most of the options, including resolution are so far down the screen that I cannot see the choices, get to the "OK/Cancel" buttons, etc. I cannot drag the corner of the application's window to let me see the bottom of the window.

Is there a configuration file I can edit manually to specify a certain resolution like 1024x768 so I can see and use all of the configuration screens?

Thanks for the help.

ingvildr
July 29th, 2008, 05:38 PM
You could hold Alt then click on the application to be able to move it from anywhere.

Diabolis
July 29th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Yes, you can modify the xorg.conf file.

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Diabolis
July 29th, 2008, 06:09 PM
The section that you want to edit looks like this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Radeon 9200se"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

bks
July 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Is there a configuration file I can edit manually to specify a certain resolution like 1024x768 so I can see and use all of the configuration screens?

You could try checking the resolution listed in the xorg.conf. Use a text editor to open it up (I appologize, I don't know the name of the default editor for xubuntu).

sudo texteditor /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Be sure to replace "texteditor" with the name of the editor you're using. Then look for a heading that says "Screen" or "Monitor" and under that there should be some resolution(s) listed. If 1024x768 isn't there that could be your problem.

Alternatively if you're unsure how to make the changes, attach a copy of your xorg.conf to this thread and one of us can look at it.

ace007
July 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I had a similar problem with nVidia. I installed envy from the repos and then envy automatically installed the driver that would work with my card. After a restart, I had more options for resolution from the nvidia-settings program.

bks
July 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Yes, you can modify the xorg.conf file.

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

LOL, I was a day late and a dollar short!

Diabolis
July 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM
LOL, I was a day late and a dollar short!

Yeah, hehe.

I had a similar problem with nVidia. I installed envy from the repos and then envy automatically installed the driver that would work with my card. After a restart, I had more options for resolution from the nvidia-settings program.

+1 if you don't feel comfortable editing configuration files, I've heard that envy works pretty well.

sailor2001
July 29th, 2008, 07:23 PM
several options /usr/share/applications/screen and resolutions or....gksudo display--config -gtk or....envyng (listed in synaptics

tim.n9puz
July 29th, 2008, 08:10 PM
You could hold Alt then click on the application to be able to move it from anywhere.

What a dummy... I didn't realize you could do that. Thanks!

Unfortunately now that I can slide the display around my only two resolution choices are still 640x480 and 320x240. Yech.

tim.n9puz
July 29th, 2008, 08:13 PM
You could try checking the resolution listed in the xorg.conf. Use a text editor to open it up (I appologize, I don't know the name of the default editor for xubuntu).

sudo texteditor /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Be sure to replace "texteditor" with the name of the editor you're using. Then look for a heading that says "Screen" or "Monitor" and under that there should be some resolution(s) listed. If 1024x768 isn't there that could be your problem.

Alternatively if you're unsure how to make the changes, attach a copy of your xorg.conf to this thread and one of us can look at it.

I edited xorg.conf and added a section with "1024x768". That resolution still does not show up as a choice anywhere.

Also, in looking through the original xorg.conf file I don't see "640x480" or any other specific resolution/screen size listed either.

tim.n9puz
July 29th, 2008, 08:17 PM
The section that you want to edit looks like this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Radeon 9200se"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

The original file did not have 'SubSection "Display"' category so I added one as shown above. Still, the only choices that show up in the screen config menu are 640x480 and 320x240.

pcrussell50
July 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I have the same problem with 8.4 in both ubuntu and xubuntu. 800x600 is the only choice. Funny thing is, the 7.10 versions of same did not have this problem. Does anyone think this qualifies as a "bug", since it worked in an older version and doesn't in a newer one? I'd be happy to file a bug report, but iirc, it's not all that easy. also, there is no sound in xubuntu 8.4, but there is sound in ubuntu 8.4. sound worked in 7.10. weird.

also worthy of note: i boot the same machine into windblows, and all is normal with screen resolutions and sound.

-Peter

Diabolis
July 29th, 2008, 08:50 PM
After you modify/update the xorg.conf file, you have to restart xserver in order to see the changes.

How to restart xserver, press: <Ctrl><Alt>Backspace

tim.n9puz
July 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM
After you modify/update the xorg.conf file, you have to restart xserver in order to see the changes.

How to restart xserver, press: <Ctrl><Alt>Backspace

Yes. At first I tried just restarting the xserver from that option in envyng. When that didn't work I began rebooting the machine after each change. No success as yet.

I know there are issues with not having complete access to nvidia driver source but darn, it sure seems like an awfully common video sub system to have this much trouble. I've got Ubuntu of one flavor or another running on 5 machines and I think this is the worst install yet in terms of hours of my life I'd like back.

Tim