PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] linux_newb wants home_server! :)

jcway212
July 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I am very new to linux, and just got together the parts for a home server...nothing fancy.

Here is what I want to do:

File and Print Server

Server accessed via remote desktop through my XP machine. I want to be able to play around in my linux box from my XP machine. :)

I am trying to choose which distro to use, because I need some sort of GUI to do this, because I am so new.

Anyways, I narrowed down my search to either:
Ubuntu Hardy
Linux Mint
OpenSUSE

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

forger
July 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Ubuntu hardy, but since you like GUI, try the desktop first, and install your server stuff later

The ubuntu wiki and help sites can be really helpful:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMWare
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP
etc...

jcway212
July 29th, 2008, 05:56 PM
So you are saying install the desktop version first and use that as a server and install the apps, etc. The one thing I am going to do is make this linux server a headless unit and access it via remote desktop on my computer which is running XP. Any other suggestions?

halitech
July 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM
if you are going headless, make sure you install some kind of remote control app while you have the monitor connected and make sure you can log in before you make it headless. Nothing as frustrating as getting it where you want only to find out you can't remote into it and have to dig it back out

jcway212
July 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM
if you are going headless, make sure you install some kind of remote control app while you have the monitor connected and make sure you can log in before you make it headless. Nothing as frustrating as getting it where you want only to find out you can't remote into it and have to dig it back out

Very true, what would you suggest be the best app for remote desktop? or should I use the one built into ubuntu or whichever distro I choose?

halitech
July 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM
the only 2 I've used that work on Linux (still waiting for Logmein to come out with a version that works) is VNC and the built in Terminal server Client. I think I used VNC on the server I was using (been a while since I dumped the server) and used the TSC from my desk top. I've also used VNC to remote control my mothers system (she makes a lot of errors but don't tell her I said that ;) ) and it seems fine. Where it is going to be behind a router (I'm assuming), just plain VNC will do fine without using SSH to encrypt the connection.

jcway212
July 29th, 2008, 10:45 PM
awesome, thanks Halitech, question for you.....would you do Ubuntu over Mint or SUSE?

youthforlinux
July 29th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't use Mint for a server....

cariboo
July 29th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I would install the server version of hardy and do all the administration via ssh and a web based server admin suite like webmin. That way you don't have to worry about sound and video if your video and sound cards are not well supported. Have a look at webmin here:

http://www.webmin.com/

There is a webmin howto here:

http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-install-webmin-in-ubuntu.html

I don't think you're going to be able to run a skype server, as that is proprietary software.

Jim

tuxxy
July 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Dont waste you time with Mint

Sef
July 29th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I don't think you're going to be able to run a skype server, as that is proprietary software.

Check out OpenWengo, which is open-source. It is in the repositories.

jcway212
July 29th, 2008, 11:58 PM

Jim

Let me rephrase, its not exaclty a skype server, i will run skype off my server 24/7 with a USB adapter for my phone so that my home phone will be on will skype all the time, does that make sense?

Efros
July 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Be aware that if you are running headless that when you reboot, with your monitor switched off or no monitor attached the resolution will got to 640x 480. Which really kinda sucks. Inbuilt remote desktop server is pretty good in ubuntu, I use it connecting from XP and OS X machines.

jcway212
July 30th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Be aware that if you are running headless that when you reboot, with your monitor switched off or no monitor attached the resolution will got to 640x 480. Which really kinda sucks. Inbuilt remote desktop server is pretty good in ubuntu, I use it connecting from XP and OS X machines.

O, wow, I didn't knnow that, thanks for the info!

halitech
July 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I've never used Mint or Suse so I can't really say. I was using Ubuntu 6.06 when I was running the server and it was rock solid so I would have to give a biased opinion of Ubuntu.

jcway212
July 30th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I've never used Mint or Suse so I can't really say. I was using Ubuntu 6.06 when I was running the server and it was rock solid so I would have to give a biased opinion of Ubuntu.

Thats fine, thanks, It seems like Ubuntu will be the OS of choice. Now should I do the server version or the desktop version? The reason I am asking is because I would gather do as much configuring and playing around with Ubuntu in X or GUI and not the command line, I am still trying to get used to linux and am just not comfortable with that idea.

This maybe a stupid question, but will the server version run X?

Couple that question with this one....

I am interested in installing WINE and running this as my linux box as well as a server....So I just might, for testing purposes, install STEAM via WINE, so I can pwn a few noobs in linux on CS:S.

halitech
July 30th, 2008, 02:21 PM
the server is the desktop version minus the gui so yes it will run either way. I would recommend doing the dektop install and then adding your server programs that you want to install.

word of warning, if you come back here asking for help, most times you will get instructions for the command line simply because it is easier then trying to figure out which GUI you have installed and trying to tell you what tab or button to click on to resolve issues. That doesn't mean you need to become best buddies with the command line, just be prepared to copy and paste things in if you ask for help

Gourgi
July 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
have a look at this
http://www.howtoforge.org/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts
i think it is a good start

maybeway36
July 30th, 2008, 04:23 PM

I use a custom xorg.conf (generated on an old version of Ubuntu) so this doesn't happen.

Efros
July 30th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Wanna share how you do this, I've tried to force resolution but I just cant seem to get it to work.

Also to previous poster, just installed webmin and its really nice.

jcway212
July 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM
the server is the desktop version minus the gui so yes it will run either way. I would recommend doing the dektop install and then adding your server programs that you want to install.

word of warning, if you come back here asking for help, most times you will get instructions for the command line simply because it is easier then trying to figure out which GUI you have installed and trying to tell you what tab or button to click on to resolve issues. That doesn't mean you need to become best buddies with the command line, just be prepared to copy and paste things in if you ask for help

Awesome! Great response, thanks! That makes sense, I am not against using the command line at all, I just want the functionality of the GUI to use while learning the command line. I am very much looking forward to learning all of that....im just a noob now :)

halitech
July 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM
we all started out at the same place, some just pick up on it faster then others :)

good luck and hopefully we'll see you posting help for others soon :D

forger
July 31st, 2008, 06:01 AM

..hence we're back to my initial reply :P

jcway212
July 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
..hence we're back to my initial reply :P

You are correct sir....lol.... go, go, gadget, THANKS! :lolflag: