PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth, MS and war

sydbat
July 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Not sure if anyone saw this/posted this yet. Stumbled upon it myself this morning.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Shuttleworth-Microsoft-Does-Not-Want-War/

I especially like the "And I can afford it" quote...

Chame_Wizard
July 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM
If M$ wants to sue Opensource/Free software(GNU/Linux+BSD)because of patents,then they are dead IMO.:guitar:

Like all the aothers patents holders:lolflag:.

dca
July 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
MS hasn't sued anybody yet because they're under the same assumptions other software vendors are.... That the USPTO will look further (as the US gov has promised) into the problems assosicated w/ patents and IP, etc that are causing all these issues. MS has paid out more money than we'll ever know when it comes to codecs, licenses, etc. All for worthless patents that have either expired, should never have been issued to begin, and even for those that make no sense whatsoever and don't even correspond with what the original suit was based on... Disgusting.

Eclipse.
July 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
"And I can afford it"

You have no idea how much I loved that quote.:lolflag:

50words
July 29th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know more about what he is referring to here?:

In essence, Shuttleworth said, Canonical has copyright assignment agreements with developers. "In order for us to be nice enough to accept your code, you have to ensure us that there are no problems with it," he said. Shuttleworth, upon further questioning, indicated that the GPL3 would provide protection against legal claims.

Polygon
July 29th, 2008, 04:38 PM
he is talking about microsoft's code, and by saying "if we are being nice of accepting your code, you ensure us that you arn't infringing on any copyrights or doing anything bad with your code"

also, he has a point. its like the entire linux community is a gang. "You mess with one of us, you mess with ALL OF US!"

Zlatan
July 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM
he is talking about microsoft's code, and by saying "if we are being nice of accepting your code, you ensure us that you arn't infringing on any copyrights or doing anything bad with your code"

also, he has a point. its like the entire linux community is a gang. "You mess with one of us, you mess with ALL OF US!"

yeah... :guitar:

wrtpeeps
July 29th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Actually I interpreted it as saying "if you submit code to ubuntu you have to guarantee to us you aren't breaking anyone elses copyrights" toward people [not microsoft] who develop for ubuntu.

saulgoode
July 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know more about what he is referring to here?:

In essence, Shuttleworth said, Canonical has copyright assignment agreements with developers. "In order for us to be nice enough to accept your code, you have to ensure us that there are no problems with it," he said. Shuttleworth, upon further questioning, indicated that the GPL3 would provide protection against legal claims.
I suspect that section of the article fails to accurately represent what transpired. Even if Canonical did mandate copyright assignments from contributors (which I doubt), it would not be something that Mr Shuttleworth would be likely to mention within a discussion of patents. The strange quoting and odd non sequitur suggests that an error occurred during either translation or editing.

Wobedraggled
July 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM
There's so many of us
There's so many of us
There's so many [x2]
There's so many of us
There's so many of us
There's so many

Let's have a war
So Microsoft go and die!
Let's have a war!
We could all use the money!