View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing Users hangs U8.04

July 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Have set up two users on my 8.04 install. One account is fairly basic, mainly because I have concentrated on spiffing my main account.

Swapping between my main account and the second account brings no troubles. However, when I change from the basic account to my main account I get a screwed up display (ie vertical bars) and cannot move the system at all - even trying ALT + PRTSCN and the REISUB keys does nothing.

The main account has Extra Special Effects graphics mode switched on, though I havent got much going with it, no cube etc. The basic account is set to Normal Special Effects. Changing this does nothing to stop the crashes so Im assuming that one of the packages I have fed into the system is playing up.

Being very new to this I have (foolishly) gone through Synaptic and the System Preferences and in one foul swoop enabled everything that I thought sounded good... Probably should have taken it easy, but up to this point the only real problem I have with the system is this.

Can anyone help - I dont know if it is a preference or a software issue, but if someone has had any experience with this and can save me from defaulting my system yet again, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks and regards,

July 29th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Oh, and still having trouble with Firefox and Pidgin conflicting and dropping X. Anyone have a solution to this?