PDA

View Full Version : 'Certified for Ubuntu'?

silkstone
July 29th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I'm sure this has come up many times before, but the recent discussions about motherboard compatibility make it even more relevant.

There are hardware compatibility lists in a few places, but these are not always regularly maintained or up-to-date. In the past we've tended to assume that most motherboards and processors are Linux/Ubuntu compatible, and the main issues have been with other components and peripherals. It looks like this may not be the case now.

Is there any prospect of having 'Linux/Ubuntu Certified' components so people can be sure that everything will work before buying a new system or building their own? This is a major stumbling block for many who would like to try or switch to Ubuntu, and at the moment it seems like a lottery.

It wouldn't do the Linux community any harm for components to have a penguin on the box. Is it something that Canonical could do, or is it likely to be frustrated by the diversity of Linux distributions?

Vadi
July 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/hardwareprogramme

silkstone
July 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that, but the 'Validated Hardware' list seems to have only complete systems rather than components.

Het Irv
July 29th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Many of the Hardware Compatiblity lists are on the Ubuntu wiki and the official docs. While you can't the offical docs without being on the doc team, the wiki is free to edit by anyone. If you have some hardware that works put it on the list.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/

Sitix
July 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I know exactly what silkstone means. I bought a new laptop with the idea I was gonna erase Vista and use Ubuntu instead. Sadly Ubuntu refused to work on the chipset and I was forced to use Windows instead... But then again I never understood why it wasn't supported, since it wasn't a too special Intel chipset..

Next time I suppose I'll have to check the list before I buy..

silkstone
July 29th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Well, thanks for the pointer to the Wiki, but it isn't all that easy! :)

I navigated to Motherboards and only 3 makes were listed. So I registered and then found how to add my make (Abit), which involved editing the coding page. It then took a few minutes to save the changes. After clicking on the new category I opened a new page and entered some details, but I really don't know if I was doing it correctly and I may have just messed it up. I'm not surprised that so few items are listed!