PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Getting MIDI to work fully in Ubuntu

Quest-Master
December 20th, 2004, 08:32 PM
MIDI: Getting to Create, Play, Anything with Ubuntu!

Intro
MIDI support has been asked for mostly musically involved people who use Linux, and it hasn't come easily. Most of the HOW-TOs for setting up MIDIs don't even work, and I'd know. So, today, after almost a month of working towards it, I've finally been able to listen, play, and create MIDIs with ease. It's actually not very difficult; you just need the right packages and a loaded GM Soundfont.

Prerequisites
- A MIDI enabled sound card (most people have a SoundBlaster Audigy or Live! card-- if you have onboard sound, meaning the motherboard does the MIDI work, you'll need to use FluidSynth, which I'll talk about later).
- A fully working ALSA sound system.
- A fully working OSS sound system. (in case the upper doesn't work, you can use this and then do a sudo modprobe snd-seq-oss)
- The following ALSA packages installed (get these through apt-get/synaptic/aptitude): alsa-base, libasound, alsa-headers, libasound-dev, alsa-modules-2.4.26-1-686 (replace the 686 with 586, 386, k6, k7, etc. according to your system), alsa-oss, alsa-source.
- A program that plays MIDI files. (KMid is a nice one)
- The awesfx package if you are not using FluidSynth. (get this through apt-get)

Blood, Sweat, and Tears time (not really)
You've gotten past most of the work which took me the most time. Some of the packages you install may seem like overkill, but for people who use FluidSynth and have to compile it and other things, those packages are good to have just in case.

Do an lsmod in the terminal. It should return something like this

snd_seq_midi 8096 1
snd_emu10k1_synth 6784 4
snd_emux_synth 33408 5 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_seq_virmidi 7296 1 snd_emux_synth
snd_seq_midi_emul 7680 1 snd_emux_synth
snd_seq_oss 29440 0
snd_seq_midi_event 7552 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 46608 19 snd_seq_midi,snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_se q_midi_emul,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
nls_iso8859_1 4352 2
nls_cp437 6016 2
vfat 13312 2
fat 41792 1 vfat
i830 68644 6
proc_intf 3968 0
freq_table 4356 0
cpufreq_userspace 5336 0
cpufreq_powersave 2048 0
button 6936 0
ac 5132 0
battery 9740 0
ipv6 230020 8
af_packet 20872 2
8139too 23936 0
8139cp 19072 0
mii 4864 2 8139too,8139cp
crc32 4608 2 8139too,8139cp
emu10k1_gp 3840 0
gameport 4736 1 emu10k1_gp
snd_emu10k1 80776 11 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_rawmidi 23232 3 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1
snd_pcm_oss 48168 0
snd_mixer_oss 16640 3 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 85540 3 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 23172 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_seq_device 7944 7 snd_seq_midi,snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_ seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
snd_ac97_codec 59268 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_page_alloc 11144 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_util_mem 4608 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep 9120 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
snd 50660 27 snd_seq_midi,snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_se q_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_r awmidi,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer ,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_util_mem,snd_hw dep
soundcore 9824 3 snd
pci_hotplug 30640 0
ehci_hcd 27780 0
uhci_hcd 29328 0
usbcore 104292 4 ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
intel_agp 20512 1
agpgart 31784 3 intel_agp
pcspkr 3816 0
rtc 12216 0
floppy 54996 0
md 44744 0
dm_mod 51068 1
capability 4872 0
commoncap 7168 1 capability
parport_pc 32064 1
lp 10436 0
parport 37320 2 parport_pc,lp
tsdev 7168 0
ide_cd 38276 0
cdrom 35872 1 ide_cd
evdev 9088 0
mousedev 10124 1
psmouse 17800 0
ext3 109544 1
jbd 54552 1 ext3
ide_generic 1664 0
piix 12576 1
ide_disk 16768 5
ide_core 125272 4 ide_cd,ide_generic,piix,ide_disk
unix 25904 762
fan 4236 0
thermal 13200 0
processor 17712 1 thermal
font 8576 0
vesafb 6688 0
cfbcopyarea 3968 1 vesafb
cfbimgblt 3200 1 vesafb
cfbfillrect 3712 1 vesafb

If you don't see any MIDI related modules (the important ones are snd_seq_midi,snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_ seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi),
then that means ALSA hasn't been configured properly. Try sudo modprobe for these modules, and see what results.

Now, that you have MIDI devices working, go over to http://www.hammersound.net, go to Sounds -> Soundfont Library -> Collections (this is over at the bottom). Now, find a GM library which you think will sound good, etc. I am using the Ultimate GM/GS Soundfont collection, which can be downloaded through http://www.hammersound.net/cgi-bin/soundlink.pl?action=view_download_page;ID=72;Sound Font_Location_Selected=Download%20UK;SoundFont_Fil ename_Selected=Ultimate.zip

Now, download it to your home directory. This one should be in a ZIP file (note: if it is in sfArk form, continue reading), so simply unzip it and there should be a sf2 file inside it. Go to the terminal and do a sfxload thenameofthefile.sf2. It should return to a new $ line, and that is good. Go into KMid and open up a MIDI and it should work. You can use Rosegarden 4 (apt-get install rosegarden4) to create MIDIs with ease and a bit of musical knowledge. ;)

FLUIDSYNTH
FluidSynth is a software synthesizer, meaning there is no hardware involved since your card doesn't support SoundFont synthesis (otherwise, you shouldn't be doing this, hehe). It obviously doesn't relay as much quality as hardware does, but that's a small price to pay. You can find their homepage at http://www.fluidsynth.org/.

It can also be easily installed through apt-get. Once it is installed, open up your terminal and do this: fluidsynth -m alsa_seq ./thenameofthefilehere.sf2. This will load the soundfont into your computer's memory.

Now, that wasn't difficult was it? Open up whatever MIDI program and you should be able to listen to your MIDIs.

SFARK
sfArk is a common compression method composers use to zip up their SoundFonts, and luckily, the company behind it has a Linux version of their utility. Download it at http://melodymachine.com/sfark.htm. It is a command-line based utility, but again, easy to use. Just do this: sfarkxtc ./thenameofthefilehere.sfArk

That should decompress the sfArk and give you a .sf2 file. If it gives you any other kind (such as an EXE), that means you'll have to move onto another soundfont since this one won't be usable.

CONCLUSION
This hasn't been 100% tested, but it worked just fine for me and I hope it does for you as well. Post all of your errors, suggestions, comments, and I'll be happy to edit them into this. May your musical talent flourish with Ubuntu ;)

CowPie
December 20th, 2004, 10:18 PM

Intro
MIDI support has been asked for mostly musically involved people who use Linux, and it hasn't come easily. Most of the HOW-TOs for setting up MIDIs don't even work, and I'd know. So, today, after almost a month of working towards it, I've finally been able to listen, play, and create MIDIs with ease. It's actually not very difficult; you just need the right packages and a loaded GM Soundfont.

Prerequisites
- A MIDI enabled sound card (most people have a SoundBlaster Audigy or Live! card-- if you have onboard sound, meaning the motherboard does the MIDI work, you'll need to use FluidSynth, which I'll talk about later).
- A fully working OSS sound system. (in case the upper doesn't work, you can use this and then do a sudo modprobe snd-seq-oss)
- The following ALSA packages installed (get these through apt-get/synaptic/aptitude): alsa-base, libasound, alsa-headers, libasound-dev, alsa-modules-2.4.26-1-686 (replace the 686 with 586, 386, k6, k7, etc. according to your system), alsa-oss, alsa-source.
- The awesfx package if you are not using FluidSynth. (get this through apt-get)

You've gotten past most of the work which took me the most time. Some of the packages you install may seem like overkill, but for people who use FluidSynth and have to compile it and other things, those packages are good to have just in case.

If you don't see any MIDI related modules (the important ones are snd_seq_midi,snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_ seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi),
then that means ALSA hasn't been configured properly. Try sudo modprobe for these modules, and see what results.

Now, that you have MIDI devices working, go over to http://www.hammersound.net, go to Sounds -> Soundfont Library -> Collections (this is over at the bottom). Now, find a GM library which you think will sound good, etc. I am using the Ultimate GM/GS Soundfont collection, which can be downloaded through http://www.hammersound.net/cgi-bin/soundlink.pl?action=view_download_page;ID=72;Sound Font_Location_Selected=Download%20UK;SoundFont_Fil ename_Selected=Ultimate.zip

Now, download it to your home directory. This one should be in a ZIP file (note: if it is in sfArk form, continue reading), so simply unzip it and there should be a sf2 file inside it. Go to the terminal and do a sfxload thenameofthefile.sf2. It should return to a new $ line, and that is good. Go into KMid and open up a MIDI and it should work. You can use Rosegarden 4 (apt-get install rosegarden4) to create MIDIs with ease and a bit of musical knowledge. ;)

FLUIDSYNTH
FluidSynth is a software synthesizer, meaning there is no hardware involved since your card doesn't support SoundFont synthesis (otherwise, you shouldn't be doing this, hehe). It obviously doesn't relay as much quality as hardware does, but that's a small price to pay. You can find their homepage at http://www.fluidsynth.org/.

It can also be easily installed through apt-get. Once it is installed, open up your terminal and do this: fluidsynth -m alsa_seq ./thenameofthefilehere.sf2. This will load the soundfont into your computer's memory.

Now, that wasn't difficult was it? Open up whatever MIDI program and you should be able to listen to your MIDIs.

SFARK
sfArk is a common compression method composers use to zip up their SoundFonts, and luckily, the company behind it has a Linux version of their utility. Download it at http://melodymachine.com/sfark.htm. It is a command-line based utility, but again, easy to use. Just do this: sfarkxtc ./thenameofthefilehere.sfArk

That should decompress the sfArk and give you a .sf2 file. If it gives you any other kind (such as an EXE), that means you'll have to move onto another soundfont since this one won't be usable.

CONCLUSION
This hasn't been 100% tested, but it worked just fine for me and I hope it does for you as well. Post all of your errors, suggestions, comments, and I'll be happy to edit them into this. May your musical talent flourish with Ubuntu ;)
HI, bump!! Wow I have just found this, very useful for me. Iw ill try, and tell you if it works!

strips
December 21st, 2004, 02:02 PM
FLUIDSYNTH

Is what I have been looking for the last weeks. Will try when I come home.

Quest-Master
December 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
Luckily, Fluidsynth is apparently a very easy to set up program. I have an SBLive! though, so no need for that.

Also, many of you might have heard of Timidity, which is also a nice program, but for optimum quality, I suggest simply using the instructions provided if you have the proper soundcard, or use Fluidsynth as strips will be using. ;)

mr_ed
December 23rd, 2004, 05:05 PM
Something tells me that this isn't supposed to happen:

jeramy@tuscany:~ $ lsmod |grep midi
snd_seq_midi 8416 0
snd_rawmidi 24704 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 7552 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 52176 5 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 8040 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd 55300 14 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi_ event,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_maestro3,snd_ac97 _codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
jeramy@tuscany:~ $ fluidsynth -m alsa_seq ./Ultimate.SF2
cca_open_socket: could not connect to host 'localhost', service '14541'
cca_init: could not connect to server 'localhost' - disabling ladcca
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample WhiteNoiseWave #03: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample ColdGlass7Wave #04: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample tbelld4wave: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample SineWave #11: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample FloorTomBrite #08: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample AccordFx3 #02: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample AccordAx2 #02: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample AccordFx2 #02: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample femalevoiceg2: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample crash5: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample xyloe4looped: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample banjod3: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample banjog2: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample ocarinafx2: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample organwavea3: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample organwave: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample octavewave: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample chanterax1: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample bagpipedrna: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample pluckharp: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample acbasse1: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample pizzviolinc3: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample brasssectf5: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample brasssectc3: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample bsawtoothwavea3: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample sawstackwavems: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample lefone: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample ShakuA2: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample SikuE2: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample KPianoB5: can't use ROM samples
fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample Timpani: can't use ROM samples
** Using format s16, rw, interleaved
fluidsynth version 1.0.3
Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
FLUID Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.

>

It's on an HP Omnibook 6000 with an AC97 sound card.

Quest-Master
December 23rd, 2004, 05:28 PM
That's really weird. Did you try playing a MIDI after all of those warning stopped appearing? It appears that what will happen is that it'll only load some of the samples and use them. Probably because of how the soundfonts were created.

I'd suggest looking for another soundfont collection over at http://www.hammersound.net/ and try to load it and see if it works.

CowPie
December 26th, 2004, 09:15 PM
HI, bump!! Wow I have just found this, very useful for me. Iw ill try, and tell you if it works!
Hi, I try this yet no sound comes out?

Luckily no more warnign about /dev/sequencer though :)

fuzzix
December 27th, 2004, 01:22 AM
I have a Soundblaster Digital 4.1 which AFAIK has sequencer hardware. The relevant modules are loaded as follows:

snd_seq_oss 29440 0
snd_seq_midi_event 7552 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 46608 6 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 7944 4 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 48168 0
snd_pcm 85540 3 snd_bt87x,snd_ens1371,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 11144 2 snd_bt87x,snd_pcm
snd_timer 23172 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss 16640 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd 50660 16 snd_seq_midi,snd_bt87x,snd_ens1371,snd_rawmidi,snd _ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq ,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_ mixer_oss
soundcore 9824 2 bttv,snd

Using Kmid appears to work - I can select the ALSA midi sequencer device, the "tempo" bar lights, but no sound plays. I have checked the volumes with alsamixer - nothing has any effect.

Does anyone know if this card actually supports midi sequencer? Is the ensoniq module appropriate for this card? I can't locate the original docs, Creative's site is suprisingly general and the manual is unavailable online. According to Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005TT49/202-8516889-5967008) it features:

# 128-voice Wave-Table synthesiser for rich MIDI playback

Attempting to get ScummVM to use the sequencer - with /dev/sequencer there is no error but no output either.

$ scummvm -ghq2x -eseq
Switched to configuration /home/fuzzbucket/.scummvmrc
Looking for tentacle
Trying to start game 'Day Of The Tentacle'
WARNING: IMuse doCommand(6) - setMasterVolume (74)!

(the WARNING appears using the default emulated device too - it doesn't appear to have a negative effect)

Using ALSA:
$ scummvm -ghq2x -ealsa
Switched to configuration /home/fuzzbucket/.scummvmrc
Looking for tentacle
Trying to start game 'Day Of The Tentacle'
(0:0:0x0): Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0)!

Any help or suggestions at all appreciated!

*edit* This page (http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:HotJ1O03zmkJ:electronics.reviewinde x.co.uk/reviews_uk/B00005TT49.html+%2B%22soundblaster+digital+4.1%22+ %2Bmidi&hl=en) suggests a capable midi system.

alainhenry
December 27th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I managed to have Timidity working as a midi server and opening two midi ports, so that the command
pmidi -p 128:0 mymusic.mid works
See thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=8286

Alain

fuzzix
December 27th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Is that "emulated" - as in PCM data generated on the fly? The Timidity client doesn't perform very well here so I can only assume I'll have the same problems emulating a midi server (high CPU use, choppy output).

Interesting functionality, though - if I had a faster machine I'd be right on it :)

alainhenry
December 28th, 2004, 04:36 PM
To improve response time, it's important to run the Timidity midiserver from a root session (higher priority). Did you try that ?

Alain

fuzzix
December 28th, 2004, 09:52 PM
I'd rather not use Timidity at all if there's midi hardware available to me - as far as I can ascertain there is, it's just not "sounding off" :)

If the card is lacking I can do without - Timidity's resource use on this box is hideous and doing a setuid root could only make it worse.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather go without... :)

Quest-Master
December 29th, 2004, 12:45 AM
For those who are getting the MIDI to actually play in KMid but no output, there's this weird thing with some SoundBlaster songs with loading snd-seq-oss. Do this in the terminal and see if it works: sudo modprobe snd-seq-oss

fuzzix
December 30th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Starting to understand this issue a little more now. I cannot load a soundfont with sfxload.

$ sfxload Ultimate.SF2
No AWE synth device is foundDoes this mean I do not have the required hardware? According to every spec I can find (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B00005TT49/system-requirements/ref%3Ded%5Ftec%5Fdp%5F2%5F1/026-9603251-8028436) I should have a wavetable synth... Is there another method for loading sound fonts?

Also, those having trouble with fluidsynth might find qsynth (http://qsynth.sourceforge.net/qsynth-index.html) helpful. Very easy to set up.

... and for those who know what it is here's the EAW patch set (http://www.fbriere.net/debian/dists/unstable/deb/timidity-patches-eaw_12-0fbriere.1_all.deb)

Suzan
January 22nd, 2005, 07:12 PM
I've got the same problem with my soundblaster pci 512. When i load the soundfont, the same error appear:

No AWE synth device is found

All other sounds works perfect with these soundcard, except midi.

Quest-Master
January 23rd, 2005, 04:50 AM
I'm on a SBLive! 5.1 LS card.. what're you guys on?

CowPie
January 23rd, 2005, 06:27 AM
SBLive! 5.1 MP3+ card. I think midi on ubuntu will be forever impossible for me, I've tried for weeks!! My bugzilla bug doesn't seem to be helping either ;(

alainhenry
January 23rd, 2005, 02:24 PM
I have a Yamaha YMF-724F (DS1 Audio controller) and I am now moderately happy with MIDI on my machine
Alain

Quest-Master
January 23rd, 2005, 04:38 PM
That's great alainhenry. :D

CowPie, since the MP3+ card is external (or is there a PCI version of it?), I believe it might not be able to functino the same way as the SB PCI cards do.

CowPie
January 23rd, 2005, 06:20 PM
That's great alainhenry. :D

CowPie, since the MP3+ card is external (or is there a PCI version of it?), I believe it might not be able to functino the same way as the SB PCI cards do.
Oh no, its a PCI card! AFAIK the only difference was the software included in the bundle, but then the Futureshop guys were probably lying to me. The thing is that midi works on Windows perfectly, it sounds pretty good as well.

fuzzix
January 23rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
As far as I can tell the AudioPCI/Ensoniq cards do not support hardware wavetable midi - the windows device driver from Creative uses a software midi engine so uploading a soundfont is not possible.

CowPie
January 25th, 2005, 02:40 AM
As far as I can tell the AudioPCI/Ensoniq cards do not support hardware wavetable midi - the windows device driver from Creative uses a software midi engine so uploading a soundfont is not possible.
Just so you know, Suse 9.1 worked with MIDI out of the box with this Live! card. I just can't get debian-based distros to..

Quest-Master
January 25th, 2005, 02:59 AM
I think you should bring this up on the mailing lists and make the developers aware of this. They just might get it to work by the Hoary stable release. :)

Quest-Master
January 28th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Update:

On a new install, I tried a ton of things to get it working. Load the soundfont into memory with sfxload as it says in the guide, and then use Rosegarden 4 instead of KMid to develop your application. Rosegarden initialized some modules KMid didn't which in turn.. played MIDIs for me. :D

xy77
March 23rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Okay, up till now, midi is not working for me.

lspci tells me:
0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

I loaded all the midi modules (snd_seq_virmidi snd_seq_midi_emul snd_seq_midi snd_rawmidi snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_seq_device) and tried to use rosegarden4. It would start, but no sound is available. Here the rosegarden jack status output:

Rosegarden 0.9.9 - AlsaDriver - alsa-lib version 1.0.5

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - JACK server not running

ALSA Client information:

Current timer set to "system timer"
AlsaDriver::initialiseMidi - initialised MIDI subsystem

Creating device 0 in Play mode -- no connection available
Default device name for this device is Anonymous MIDI device 1
AlsaDriver::setPlausibleConnection: connection like 64:0 M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI (duplex) requested for device 0
AlsaDriver::setPlausibleConnection: nothing suitable available
Creating device 1 in Play mode -- no connection available
Default device name for this device is Anonymous MIDI device 2
AlsaDriver::setPlausibleConnection: connection like 72:0 MK-225C USB MIDI keyboard MIDI (duplex) requested for device 1
Creating device 2 in Play mode -- no connection available
Default device name for this device is Anonymous MIDI device 3
AlsaDriver::setPlausibleConnection: connection like 128:0 KAMix: qamix (write) requested for device 2

And here what happens, when I try to start jack.

$ jackd -d alsa
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

loading driver ..
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the application using it and run JACK again
cannot load driver module alsa

I couldnt figure out, what is blocking jack from starting. The sequencer devices /dev/sequencer and /dev/sequencer2 are present.

Rosegarden complains that "The following plugins could not be loaded: -- Xsynth (from xsynth-dssi.so)". I hope this is not critical.

Just in case anyone wondered, sound from bmp or xmms is working.

Any help would be appreciated!

- David (xy77)

alainhenry
March 23rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
Hello,

Could you tell what is the midi equipmùent that you are using ? I did not get it from your message.

Alain

SilvioTO
July 21st, 2005, 10:32 AM
I have sound blaster live and need to play with sound a game (runescape) that have midi music. I'm follow this howto but when I trying to unpack with sfarkxtc utility...

$ sfarkxtc ./Fluid R3 GM.sfArk
bash: sfarkxtc: command not found

sfarkxtc is in the same folder fo the file to unpack. can you help me please?

Thanks, Silvio.

alainhenry
July 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Sorry for a late answer, I was on holiday for a week. Unfortunately, I do not know how to help in this case.
Anyone else ?
Alain

fishfork
July 26th, 2005, 05:27 AM
SilvioTO: you need to type ./sfarkxtc instead of sfarkxtc - for security, linux doesn't include the current directory in the path.

RJARRRPCGP
July 29th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Does this apply to Hoary, too? I'm confused, thus I may be in the wrong section. :-?

I have a SoundBlaster Live SB0100 sound card, but I don't see emu10k1_synth nor snd_emux_synth in the list when using the lsmod command!

chruesu
August 26th, 2005, 01:54 PM
hi folks

thanks for all those nice suggestions, howto's and everything you posted here.
my prob:

no sound in rosegarden!
stats:

Rosegarden 1.0 - AlsaDriver - alsa-lib version 1.0.8

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - JACK sample rate = 44100Hz, buffer size = 2048
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - creating disk thread
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - found 2 JACK physical outputs
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "rosegarden:master out L" to "alsa_pcm:playback_1"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "rosegarden:master out R" to "alsa_pcm:playback_2"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - found 2 JACK physical inputs
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "alsa_pcm:capture_1" to "rosegarden:record in 1 L"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "alsa_pcm:capture_2" to "rosegarden:record in 1 R"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - initialised JACK audio subsystem

ALSA Client information:

128,0 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 0) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]
128,1 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 1) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]
128,2 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 2) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]
128,3 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 3) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]

Creating device 0 in Play mode for connection 128:0 TiMidity port 0 (write)
Default device name for this device is MIDI software device
Creating device 1 in Play mode for connection 128:1 TiMidity port 1 (write)
Default device name for this device is MIDI software device 2
Creating device 2 in Play mode for connection 128:2 TiMidity port 2 (write)
Default device name for this device is MIDI software device 3
Creating device 3 in Play mode for connection 128:3 TiMidity port 3 (write)
Default device name for this device is MIDI software device 4
Current timer set to "PCM playback 0-0-0"

what might be the prob. in my case?
I can play *.mid files by the following command:

timidity acommonmidifile.MID
There is even some "blinking", when I try to play a *.MID flie with rosegarden.
However, as I stated above: no sound for rosegarden
Note: i have no probs with alsa in general.

Thanks for any advice!!

chruesu
September 23rd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Please anybody!

I still have troubles with my soundconfiguration. I'd like to use rosegraden, however as complete NOB I don't manage to get it working. As I said, I can even *play* a midi-file with rosegarden however, I cant here any sound...

the last thing I did is the following:

timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100
Requested buffer size 2048, fragment size 1024
ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 16384, period size 4096 bytes
Output rate adjusted to 48000 Hz (requested 44100 Hz)
TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:868:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Can't open pcm device 'default'.
Couldn't open ALSA pcm device (`s')

Then I started roesgarden
The sequencerstatus:

Rosegarden 1.0 - AlsaDriver - alsa-lib version 1.0.8

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - JACK sample rate = 44100Hz, buffer size = 2048
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - creating disk thread
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - found 2 JACK physical outputs
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "rosegarden:master out L" to "alsa_pcm:playback_1"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "rosegarden:master out R" to "alsa_pcm:playback_2"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - found 2 JACK physical inputs
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "alsa_pcm:capture_1" to "rosegarden:record in 1 L"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "alsa_pcm:capture_2" to "rosegarden:record in 1 R"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - initialised JACK audio subsystem

ALSA Client information:

128,0 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 0) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]
128,1 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 1) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]
128,2 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 2) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]
128,3 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 3) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]

Creating device 0 in Play mode for connection 128:0 TiMidity port 0 (write)
Default device name for this device is MIDI software device
Creating device 1 in Play mode for connection 128:1 TiMidity port 1 (write)
Default device name for this device is MIDI software device 2
Creating device 2 in Play mode for connection 128:2 TiMidity port 2 (write)
Default device name for this device is MIDI software device 3
Creating device 3 in Play mode for connection 128:3 TiMidity port 3 (write)
Default device name for this device is MIDI software device 4

alainhenry
September 24th, 2005, 03:26 PM
recently, when I try to load timidity as midi server, i receive the same error message as you do (at least, the end of it)
After entering the timidity command, I receive:

>timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100
Can't open pcm device 'default'.
Couldn't open ALSA pcm device (`s')
>

And no sound after that, of course

I am still searching to know what to do

Alain

Edit: "killall esd" did the trick see thread:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=26567

cosimo
October 17th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Hello,
Well i tried your suggestion and midi still does not work. I have a sound blaster live in this machine and I have tried timidity, however, unless I am missing something, timidity doesn't show up anywhere on the system after install. This may be a command line app.
All my settings seem to match the ones listed, yet no midi. I am new at this unix/lyinux stuff so any help would be appreciated.
After a week of trial and error , I finally got my dvd's to play flawlessly on Breezy final. I woul dlike the same for midi.
Thanks
Coz

cosimo
October 28th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Hello,
Well I got my midi up and working just fine, however, with no help from these pages.
I want to thank anyone that suggested things,
thanks again

AgenT
November 11th, 2005, 04:49 PM
http://melodymachine.com/ is dead, which is a major problem because that is where the extraction utility should be. Does anyone know where a utility to extract sfark files can be located?

fishfork
November 11th, 2005, 08:34 PM
http://melodymachine.com/ is dead, which is a major problem because that is where the extraction utility should be.
Are you sure? It seems to be working here.

AgenT
November 11th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Are you sure? ;) Refresh your cache. http://melodymachine.com gives a cpanel webpage (error - not configured) and http://melodymachine.com/sfark.htm gives this:

Not Found

The requested URL /sfark.htm was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

EDIT: There seems to be some strange routing problems! Using a proxy that website works. This is strange because every other website (including ubuntu forums) works fine.

|cJ|
February 28th, 2006, 01:50 AM
this worked a treat for me thanks!

warp99
March 20th, 2006, 10:03 PM
After reading this thread I did a little investigation based on a prior post which said midi worked in SuSe, but not ubuntu. Well I beleive I have the simplest setup for a fully functional midi sequencer or even an ALSA sequencer server.

First you need timidity:

sudo apt-get install timidity

Then read up on the some background information here:
SUSE LINUX – User Guide Chapter 15 (http://nfs-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/suse/suse9.2/suselinux-userguide_en/ch15s10.html)

The file eawpats12_full.rar listed in the manual is a dead link, but you can get it here:
eawpats12_full.rar (http://people.fruitsalad.org/lauri/stuff/eawpats12_full.rar)

Download and unrar following the directions, you can change the path to the eawpats directory to your choosing, it doesn't matter. At this point we shift from the SuSe directions doing the following:

cd /<path of your choice>/eawpats
sudo gedit timidity.cfg

Change two lines in timidity.cfg as follows:

Change dir c:\timidity
to dir /<path of your choice>/eawpats

Change dir c:\eawpats

Save the file, then change permissions on the eawpats directory per instructions. We then need to change the timidity.cfg for timidity itself, so we do the following:

cd /etc/timidity
sudo gedit timidity.cfg

Change the last reference line to the following:
source /<path of your choice>/eawpats/timidity.cfg

Save the file, then timidity -iatv to open the graphical interface, open a midi file and your should have a working 16 channel midi sequencer. \\:D/

You can set up timidity as an ALSA server if you like. It's looks fairly easy, I just didn't have a chance to test it out. :cool:

umuro
April 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM
Yes, timidity is working standalone. But

timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os &

returns an error message:

TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:455:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
error in snd_seq_open

In fact this was the very first problem in this thread. Now, I still have a ubuntu where I cannot use any midi software other than timidity.

After reading this thread I did a little investigation based on a prior post which said midi worked in SuSe, but not ubuntu. Well I beleive I have the simplest setup for a fully functional midi sequencer or even an ALSA sequencer server.

First you need timidity:

Then read up on the some background information here:
SUSE LINUX – User Guide Chapter 15 (http://nfs-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/suse/suse9.2/suselinux-userguide_en/ch15s10.html)

The file eawpats12_full.rar listed in the manual is a dead link, but you can get it here:
eawpats12_full.rar (http://people.fruitsalad.org/lauri/stuff/eawpats12_full.rar)

Download and unrar following the directions, you can change the path to the eawpats directory to your choosing, it doesn't matter. At this point we shift from the SuSe directions doing the following:

cd /<path of your choice>/eawpats
sudo gedit timidity.cfg

Change two lines in timidity.cfg as follows:

Change dir c:\timidity

Change dir c:\eawpats

Save the file, then change permissions on the eawpats directory per instructions. We then need to change the timidity.cfg for timidity itself, so we do the following:

cd /etc/timidity
sudo gedit timidity.cfg

Change the last reference line to the following:
source /<path of your choice>/eawpats/timidity.cfg

Save the file, then timidity -iatv to open the graphical interface, open a midi file and your should have a working 16 channel midi sequencer. \\:D/

You can set up timidity as an ALSA server if you like. It's looks fairly easy, I just didn't have a chance to test it out. :cool:

umuro
April 2nd, 2006, 01:36 AM
I've got MIDI working! Read the full experience in http://conceptspace.server.us/conceptspace/40.

Somebody could still help. Because as described in that page, I've not been able to get it autostart. Somehow timidity is becoming silent when it is not explicitly started after logging in.

Nordoelum
April 3rd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Make it in my subscribtions :P

umuro
April 4th, 2006, 08:51 AM
In Summary
Go an fetch Automatics to "Enable MIDI Capability"
If your midi is silent then simply start "/etc/init.d/timidity" again.
You can then switch eawpats if you wish.

Why do you think Automatix solution worked? In my case, it was issuing

timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os -s 44100 &

Yes, the parameter -s 44100. Timidity has to serve using the same frequency as the rest of the system. And Automatix is detecting this correctly. The frequency might be different for your system.

Sometimes timidity is sliencing especially at the system
startup.Then I do
sudo killall timidity
/etc/init.d/timidity start &

_____
http://conceptspace.server.us/conceptspace

mjshepherd
June 24th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Hi There,

I've been trying to get MIDI sound to play in Rosegarden4 for some time - it tells me that "MIDI OK, Audio OK" but nothing comes out of the speakers when i play my sequences. I have tried to follow your instructions and have come across some problems, which i wondered if you'd help me with?
I think i have most of the packages you list, but couldn't get alsa-headers, or alsa-modules-2.4.26-1-386 through apt-get. Is this a problem? How do i solve it?

I have a midi-enabled soundcard (which works on my windows partition) and have installed awesfx. I have also intalled Fluidsynth (with qsynth front end) just in case - should i get rid of it?

In the lsmod all the necessary lines you mention are there, and more besides. I didn't do a sudo modprobe, did i need to?

I downloaded the "Gort's_Synth.sf2" zipfile and have extracted it into my home directory. However, when i run the command

sfxload Gort's_Synth.sf2

I don't get a $ command line, but a > line instead. I don't know what to do at this point. Exactly the same thing happens if I try to load this soundfont to Fluidsynth using your instructions. Please help!

Is it to do with the name of the sf2 file having too much punctuation?

Cheers,

Matthew

spookypeanut
August 15th, 2007, 09:10 PM
OK, so I got MIDI working, using the hardware synth on my SB Live. And it's great!

However, there is a slight catch that I'm hoping someone can help me with. The software I'm using (scummvm, dosbox) wants me to input the port number, which I do, not a problem. But the port number seems to be different every time I boot up, usually around 16-21. Is there any way I can stop this happening?

Yfrwlf
November 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
I think this guide only worked for me because there is a setting in Kmid that allowed me to switch devices to the Emu10K1 which I guess is software emulation? The Audigy 2 ZS MPU-401 device doesn't give me any sound though after doing the loading the new soundfont thingy.

Amaroq
January 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I was able to get midi sound simply by installing timidity via apt-get (timidity++ I think), but it was missing some instruments.

This guide helped me out a lot.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MidiSoftwareSynthesisHowTo

My card doesn't support hardware midi, so I had to use timidity. Use that guide to set up timidity to use a soundfont. Setting up a soundfont fixed the missing instruments problem for me as well as improved the quality of the midi play.

I originally tried Ultimate.sf2 like the creator of this thread suggested, but I thought one of the drum instruments were too loud and the distortion guitar sounded too generic to me. I now use the Unison.sf2 soundfont as recommended in that guide, and while I'd still like a different distortion guitar (this one is better, but a midi I like to listen to, Cosmo Canyon, that contains that instrument sounds a little strange with this one), overall I'm extremely satisfied with the midi quality I'm getting now.

subitul
February 2nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
Right, I've got MIDI working nicely with a SBLive! Value but I have one small problem. My current soundfont is horrible so I decided to get another but it is pretty large - 140MB - and when I load it it says:

$ sfxload FluidR3\ GM.SF2
sfxload: no memory left

I've found a few mentions of how to create a cache in the system RAM but only for Windows. I was wondering if there was a method of doing this in linux (Kubuntu Gutsy). Any help would be great please.

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla
February 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hi.This is my first post and I'm a complete newbie with Linux (been using it for 2 weeks).
I see all these helpful posts about, finaly solving problems, which have had me tearing my hair out and then I'm stumped because I don't know how to do this command or that command :-?
It would be a pain in the **** for everyone who wrote a 'how to' to cater for the newbies and the more experienced users, so I wouldn't expect it to be laid out every time, but I was just wondering whether there was a site with explanations of all the basic commands because I really really really wanted to get midi going!! :)
Cheers

February 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM
sorry. I did't realise a.rse was a bad word. lol
:-\"

alainhenry
February 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Can you be a bit more specific about the commands you would like to be explained ? Does these Howto's help ?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MidiSoftwareSynthesisHowTo?highlight=%28midi%29%7C %28synthesis%29
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MidiHardwareSynthesisSetup?highlight=%28midi%29%7C %28synthesis%29
Alain

February 27th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Thanks Alain.
I've been able to figure all the basics out now but hopefully your links willl be helpful to other newbies tearing their hair out!

Mr_Ada
March 24th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I still have no MIDI.

chris

contactMW
April 2nd, 2008, 02:12 PM

Intro

Prerequisites

FLUIDSYNTH

SFARK

CONCLUSION

The site www.hammersound.net looks like a hacking site - may it wasn't originally like this but doesn't look like there are any sound-related things on there. I see the message:

"
# Attention #
Your Security Has Been Passed by ..
r00t-x ,
"

( added about 30 mins later )

the download link seems to look more legitimate, but I haven't tried downloading from work as I don't want to get into trouble !- will try when I get home . I can't see how to get from the main page to the soundfont library one still...

FranciscoPadillaGarcia
May 5th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I followed this guide literally, but I couldn't get MIDI's to play in Audacious. However, I was able to fix the problem by installing timidity and wildmidi as explained in this page: http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/hardy/#wildmidi

I don't know which one made the trick, but only then I can play MIDI's. Maybe you should add this to the guide.

PaulosCZ
June 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
First you need timidity:

And that's last thing you need :) You can play MIDI files by KMid now :)
Tested, working - I didn't need anything else than install that package.

Yfrwlf
June 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM
It'd be neat if Timidity was a suggested package or something for any program that required midi, or if Pulse Audio could do midi, because so far I've never seen hardware midi working out of the box and don't really expect that to take off anytime soon. :-?

Not that midi is used much anymore any way...

danellisuk
August 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Right, I've got MIDI working nicely with a SBLive! Value but I have one small problem. My current soundfont is horrible so I decided to get another but it is pretty large - 140MB - and when I load it it says:

$ sfxload FluidR3\ GM.SF2
sfxload: no memory left

I've found a few mentions of how to create a cache in the system RAM but only for Windows. I was wondering if there was a method of doing this in linux (Kubuntu Gutsy). Any help would be great please.

I have just discovered that the SoundBlaster Live does not have its own memory, it instead uses the system memory. I had the same problem as you trying to load the Fluid R3 soundfont.

You can determine how much memory is set aside for use with soundfonts.

First clear any existing soundfounds:-

$ asfxload -i

Then show the remaining memory:-

$ asfxload -M
DRAM memory left = 131068 kB

(Which shows 128 MB available.)

Now edit the file: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
And add the following line to the end:-

options snd-emu10k1 max_buffer_size=256 max_synth_voices=256

Restart your system. Then you can see the memory size has increased.

$ asfxload -M
DRAM memory left = 262132 kB

You can now load the Fluid R3 soundfont without issue.

Note, this is another one-up on Windows, because the Creative XP drivers limit the memory available for soundfonts to 32MB.
:guitar:

jharr
September 26th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Good post. I wrote a small shell script and set it to start up with gnome (System->Prefs->Session).

bin/start-fs.sh

#!/bin/bash
exec padsp fluidsynth \
-a oss \
-m alsa_seq \
-z 1000 \
-g 0.8 \
.fluidsynth/Ultimate.SF2

`padsp` program, and the `-a oss` flag are a hack to get FluidSynth to work with pulseaudio. This keeps FluidSynth from stealing & locking your audio device.
`-z 1000` - increase the buffer size. I have no idea what units this is, but this number worked for me.
`-g 0.8` - increase the gain from 0.2 to 0.8.
`.fluidsynth/Ultimate.SF2` where I stashed the soundfont.

:guitar:

Perkins
December 4th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Thos should probably go into the how-to section. Or, if it's already there, it should be made a little easier to find...

MishMich
March 26th, 2009, 03:25 AM
The original post was very helpful I have just installed Ubuntu Studio (8.10) and had expected this to just work (I use Debian for those times I don't want to play - Ubuntu for when I just want stuff to work, like wireless or, in this case set up a PC to run my Technics Digital Piano through). OK, so I read up on this first, and managed to get a Creative Live! card as that allowed for hardware sythesis and was midi compatible via the joystick port. Running through the steps above, I managed to get the Creative soundcard to play midi tracks out via the stereo jack and the same for the software synthesis. But, I cannot get the keyboard to talk to the PC - either in or out. It is quite important for me to do this, because I like to set up a score and have it play through the keyboard, or play into the PC so I can add synth sounds to the presets on the keyboard. I used to be able to do this with a cheapo-keyboard on the Atari ST fairly easily over 20 years ago. I also was able to do this with this keyboard using an old Pentium with a Steinberg ISA card without much hassle. So, am I missing something crucial here? Surely it should just play through the soundcard as an external device - but I only see one channel listed. When I set the channel 1 on rosegarden to the external device, it reads as 'grand piano' (which is what the keyboard is set to), but the notes I play do not appear and nothing is recorded. Similarly, if I play the SF2 file and direct it to the external device, nothing happens.

Thanks.

MishMich
March 26th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Ah. It was something obvious I was missing - the din plug that says 'in' goes in the 'out' port on the keyboard, and the one that says 'out' goes in the 'in' port. I figured 'in' went with 'in' and 'out' went with 'out'. All seems to work fine so far. Thanks again.

adamgram
April 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
I went through this how-to this morning and wasn't able to get very far. I'm trying to run rosegarden on my laptop so I can write music in the notation editor and record midi files from a keyboard. For now, I just want to be able to hear the music I write in rosegarden.

Before going through this how-to I downloaded Jack and QSynth, but I'm a little confused about how each of these is supposed to work. Assuming the onboard sound on my laptop does not have built in midi sounds, do I need QSynth to make sounds while using rosegarden? Is it a matter of rosegarden telling the synth what to play and the synth making the sound or can rosegarden work without it? Also, should QSynth by itself be able to make sounds? (That would help me troubleshoot the problem if nothing else).

As for the actual how-to, I pasted below the problems I ran into (marked with a *** prefix to my expaination), if anyone could explain these errors I would really appreciate it.

HOWTO: Getting MIDI to work fully in Ubuntu

Intro

Prerequisites
*** I have ATI IXP AC97 onboard sound

*** ALSA shows up under system--> preferences--> sound and the test sound plays for everything EXCEPT sound capture

*** OSS shows up under system--> preferences--> sound but I get an error message when I hit the 'test' button:
audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Could not open audio device for playback. Device is being used by another application.

- The following ALSA packages installed (get these through apt-get/synaptic/aptitude):
alsa-base
libasound
*** E: Couldn't find package libasound
*** I do have libasound2
alsa-headers
*** heather@heather-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install alsa-headers
*** Reading package lists... Done
*** Building dependency tree
*** Reading state information... Done
*** Package alsa-headers is not available, but is referred to by *** another package.
*** This may mean that the package is missing, has been
*** obsoleted, or is only available from another source
*** However the following packages replace it:
*** libasound2-dev
*** E: Package alsa-headers has no installation candidate

libasound-dev,
alsa-modules-2.4.26-1-686 (replace the 686 with 586, 386, k6, k7, etc. according to your system)
*** E: Couldn't find package alsa-modules-2.4.26-1-686

alsa-oss
alsa-source

*** E: Couldn't find package KMid

The awesfx package if you are not using FluidSynth. (get this through apt-get)

Quote:
snd_seq_midi 8096 1
snd_emu10k1_synth 6784 4
snd_emux_synth 33408 5 snd_emu10k1_synth
snd_seq_virmidi 7296 1 snd_emux_synth
snd_seq_midi_emul 7680 1 snd_emux_synth
(etc)

If you don't see any MIDI related modules
the important ones are
snd_seq_midi
snd_emu10k1_synth
*** E: Couldn't find package snd_emu10k1_synth

snd_emux_synth
*** E: Couldn't find package snd_emux_synth

snd_ seq_oss
snd_seq
snd_emu10k1
*** E: Couldn't find package snd_emu10k1

snd_rawmidi

Fenderian_Mayhew
April 14th, 2010, 11:52 PM
okay. i just got midi out (my personal goal) by using Linux MultiMedia studio and a SF2 file.

curts
March 12th, 2011, 12:39 AM
After several evenings of digging, I've come to the conclusion the hardware synthesis for the Ensoniq/Creative AudioPCI ES1371+ chip is simply not supported by Debian/Ubuntu (i.e. no synth driver like the emu10k1), but MIDI communication probably is (but that wasn't my goal and I do not have any MIDI h/w to test it).

Using Ubuntu 10.4.x:

cat /dev/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.21 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux Panther2 2.6.32-29-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 11 20:52:10 UTC 2011 x86_64
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0xdc00, irq 17
USB Device 0x46d:0x8d7 at usb-0000:00:10.1-2, full speed
VIA 8237 with ALC850 at 0xd800, irq 22

Audio devices:
0: ES1371 DAC2/ADC (DUPLEX)
1: USB Audio
2: VIA 8237 (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices:
0: ES1371

Timers:
31: system timer

Mixers:
0: TriTech TR28602
1: USB Mixer
2: Realtek ALC850 rev 0

This conclusion is further supported by the information in the ALSA sound card database (http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Creative_Labs). The ES1371 is not listed as having wavetable support, while the emu10k1 Sound Blaster Live and Sound Blaster 32 AWE cards others mention do have wavetable support. Hopefully, this post will be helpful for other ES1371 owners.

Further complicating my search, most of the ALSA configuration info I could find predated the use of Pulse Audio. While MIDI is perhaps a niche area for Linux support, I believe it is still of significant interest to musicians with MIDI-capable instruments. The MIDI How-to guides could probably use an update.

treii28
June 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM
After several evenings of digging, I've come to the conclusion the hardware synthesis for the Ensoniq/Creative AudioPCI ES1371+ chip is simply not supported by Debian/Ubuntu

I've been arriving at a similar conclusion after similar searching. I picked up a SB 16 PCI the other day and although I can see the midi port and can seem to send data to it with aconnect, no sound comes out. Either there's a mixer bar hiding somewhere that isn't showing up in the alsa mixers or it thinks it's sending it out the joystick/midi-out port.
(that or there's some other magic word or black-magic rite I haven't done yet to please the Linux gods. Maybe I'll trying sprinkling the burnt remains of a rainbow butterfly at the foot of a penguin idol tonight and see if that helps)

mistermanugo
September 2nd, 2011, 03:31 AM
Hey everyone, I tried to do what is told in the first post. I installed all the alsa packages, fluidsynth, etc...

This is what I obtain after typing the lsmod command:

"
Module Size Used by
btrfs 462393 0
zlib_deflate 19568 1 btrfs
crc32c 2519 1
libcrc32c 875 1 btrfs
ufs 72774 0
qnx4 6484 0
hfsplus 70800 0
hfs 40754 0
minix 25197 0
ntfs 94919 0
vfat 8933 0
msdos 6392 0
fat 47767 2 vfat,msdos
jfs 172461 0
xfs 513318 0
exportfs 3437 1 xfs
reiserfs 225449 0
aes_i586 7268 3
aes_generic 26863 1 aes_i586
binfmt_misc 6587 1
ppdev 5259 0
vboxnetadp 6390 0
vboxnetflt 12740 0
vboxdrv 169169 2 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt
snd_hda_codec_atihdmi 2367 1
snd_hda_codec_idt 52042 1
snd_hda_intel 22165 2
snd_hda_codec 74201 3 snd_hda_codec_atihdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_in tel
snd_hwdep 5412 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm_oss 35308 0
snd_mixer_oss 13746 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 70918 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
arc4 1153 2
snd_seq_dummy 1338 0
snd_seq_oss 26722 0
snd_seq_midi 4557 0
snd_rawmidi 19056 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 6003 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 47263 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer 19098 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 5700 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
joydev 8740 0
ath9k 306430 0
fbcon 35102 71
tileblit 1999 1 fbcon
fglrx 2093229 32
snd 54244 16 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_ hwdep,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_os s,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
font 7557 1 fbcon
bitblit 4707 1 fbcon
softcursor 1189 1 bitblit
mac80211 205402 1 ath9k
ath 7611 1 ath9k
lirc_ene0100 6600 0
lirc_dev 8884 1 lirc_ene0100
video 17375 0
psmouse 63677 0
output 1871 1 video
serio_raw 3978 0
hp_accel 11144 0
lis3lv02d 6096 1 hp_accel
input_polldev 2482 1 lis3lv02d
agpgart 31788 1 fglrx
soundcore 6620 1 snd
vga16fb 11385 1
vgastate 8961 1 vga16fb
snd_page_alloc 7172 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
uvcvideo 57406 0
videodev 34361 1 uvcvideo
v4l1_compat 13251 2 uvcvideo,videodev
shpchp 28899 0
i2c_piix4 8527 0
cfg80211 126144 3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
led_class 2864 2 ath9k,hp_accel
lp 7028 0
parport 32635 2 ppdev,lp
r8169 34396 0
mii 4381 1 r8169
ahci 32392 2
"

It seems that I'm missing some midi lines, so if someone knows what do I have to do, please help mme :)

Thank you !