PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Firefox - Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) ...

awam66
July 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Firefox - Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIStringBundle.formatStringFromName]

I am having a problem with Firefox on my Hardy installation after an update the other day. When I run Firefox 3 I get the above error and the result is none of the bookmarks work and the forward and back keys are greyed out, the history is blank also. I have looked at a bug report with the same error but it is incomplete and expired.
My system is AMD 64 Architecture. Looking in the .mozilla folder in my home folder the firefox-3.0 folder has been changed to forefox-3.0.abandoned. Tried changing it back without the abandoned but got same message and the folder has again been changed as above. Any ideas please?

Kevbert
July 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM
If the firefox package is broken you could try

sudo apt-get install -f
from the terminal command line. Then try updating

sudo apt-get update
If you try the update command first you may find that a broken package error occurs. Otherwise it looks like a re-install is in order.

awam66
July 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks, tried these comands nothing required. I have also de-installed and re-installed Firefox 3. No change:lolflag:

awam66
July 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Well I decided to completely remove all applications relating to Firefox and re- installing only firefox three, no gnome support etc. It is now working. All a bit of a mystery though.

Kevbert
July 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Did you just perform a removal or did you purge all ?

awam66
July 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I just did a removal

Kevbert
July 29th, 2008, 04:11 PM
For problems like that it's probably better to purge the package with

sudo apt-get remove --purge filename
The only problem with this command is that if you get the command wrong you could do untold damage to the file system.

awam66
July 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
For problems like that it's probably better to purge the package with

sudo apt-get remove --purge filename
The only problem with this command is that if you get the command wrong you could do untold damage to the file system.

Yes thanks for that.
As I say I did a normal remove and reinstall and it worked. Odd it didn't do that the first time I tried.

genericcitizen
August 4th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hi,

Just for those who are still experiencing the error,

For me it seems it was related to the Forecastfox add-on, as I was still getting the error after a reinstall of FF and only removing Forecastfox fixed it.

For those still seeing that annoying component failure code worth a try.

Thaddeus11
August 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

I encountered the above error this morning after booting up my PC but found my problem/resolution was different so I figured I'd share in case the above doesn't help resolve for some people.

I checked my ./mozilla directory and found that there were files in there with root:root permissions and that my username did not have permissions to read/write.

This may be overkill but I chown'd everything under ./mozilla and it resolved my problem.

Open a terminal window and run the following:

cd ~/.mozilla
chown -R username:username *

where username is your login name.

The cd ~/.mozilla moves you to the .mozilla directory under your home directory.
The chown command sets ownership of the files.
The -R flag is recursive which means it will not only look at files/folders in the current directory but also go into subdirectories.
The * (asterisk) means all files/folders.

Hope this helps.

loolee
August 14th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I've still the same problem...:(

billybag
August 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM
sudo chown -R myname:mygroup ~/.mozilla where as myname and mygroup is your username that you loigin with.

Barney
September 8th, 2008, 03:14 PM
BIG THANKS! ...worked for me.

Error originally occurred after sudo-ing Firefox for something,

dalee
January 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hi all,

I encountered the above error this morning after booting up my PC but found my problem/resolution was different so I figured I'd share in case the above doesn't help resolve for some people.

I checked my ./mozilla directory and found that there were files in there with root:root permissions and that my username did not have permissions to read/write.

This may be overkill but I chown'd everything under ./mozilla and it resolved my problem.

cd ~/.mozilla

The cd ~/.mozilla moves you to the .mozilla directory under your home directory.
The -R flag is recursive which means it will not only look at files/folders in the current directory but also go into subdirectories.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks! I just ran into this problem. Changing the permissions back worked. I had just installed Google Earth and ran it as Sudo by accident. I was searching for directions and it called up Mozilla to print. I suspect that is where my problem originated.

Again, Thank You!

dalee

PaulW
February 25th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks, Thaddeus11. Your chown suggestion worked for me!:)

at78rpm
June 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM
Whoa, THANK YOU! Thaddeus11, you saved my day. What I most appreciate is that you not only provided the terminal commands, but you also explained what each one does. My Firefox is back to normal, thanks to you.

cocolocko
June 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
sudo chown -R myname:mygroup ~/.mozilla

I had the problem with the Addon "Forecastfox" and i solved it with the command succesful!

Thanks

Greetings

digitalghost1
August 2nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Thank you very much for the commands I was going insane trying to correct this problem. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::cool::cool:

ubuntu forums to the rescue!

olvlo
September 15th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot!

Landie_UK
November 15th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Hi I tried the following

cd ~/.mozilla

I got "operation not permitted" after every time it tried to change the file permissions. I did this and it worked

code
sudo chown -R username:username *

hope this helps

azteech
December 5th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hi,

Just thought I would let you all know that this problem is still around.

However, my problem occurred after going into Firefox safe mode and removing Torbutton 1.2.0 (which can only be uninstalled in Firefox safe mode). After rebooting and re-starting Firefox, I received the following error - NS COMPONET FALIURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE).

After googling the web, found this link. Noticed that Forecastfox was mentioned as possible issue. Uninstalled the Forecastfox extension, restarted Firefox, and the error vanished.

For those still seeing that annoying component failure code it may be worth a try removing Forecastfox extension (if you have it installed). If it clears up the error you can 1) either leave it removed, or 2) re-install it and reboot Firefox for it to take effect.

If you are seeing the above error, AND you do not have the Forecastfox extension installed, then try removing each Firefox extension, one at a time, until you find the offending extension. Remove the extension and restart Firefox. If you need (or wish to continue to use) the extension you just removed, then all you have to do is re-install it and restart Firefox once more for the extension to be activated.

p.s. - Still not sure why removing the Torbutton 1.2.0 extension would affect the Forecastfox extension, but it did. But that is something that the dev's and mozilla team should investigate.

jwatne
January 16th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Add my voice to the choir of those thanking you for this solution!

Hi all,

cd ~/.mozilla

Hope this helps.

ramonimo
April 2nd, 2010, 09:03 PM
I have solved the problem doing the prior indicated:

cd ~/.mozilla

How did i have such a problem?
I was doing the fool and i executed firefox from console: sudo firefox.

After that when i launched firefox the normal way, suddenly the "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) ..." appeared

kilroy0097
April 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I have also solved the problem doing the prior indicated:

cd ~/.mozilla

Except I actually had to su as root in order to do this.

I was trying to think of how this happened. Then I realized that I attempted to unpackage and install a different version of firefox but realized it was not for 64 bit architecture. I did so as sudo as well.

So probably the combo of those two things messed it up. Why? I have no idea.

After that when I attempted to start up firefox I got the "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) ..." error.

Removing FoxCast that weather AddOn actually removed the error but did not fix the behavior of Firefox. I had no bookmarks, no forward or back browser buttons. It would not load into my Homepage and many pages it would never stop loading the page. All in all very possessed Firefox.

pibach
June 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hi,

Just for those who are still experiencing the error,

For me it seems it was related to the Forecastfox add-on, as I was still getting the error after a reinstall of FF and only removing Forecastfox fixed it.

For those still seeing that annoying component failure code worth a try.

De-installation of ForecastFox did it for me as well, thanks for that hint.