PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] boot from disk

eopi
July 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM
How do I boot from a CD and reinstall ubuntu?

I have a CD for Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy.

I need to reinstall because when I tried to get my wireless to work; I inadvertently killed my wire'ed abilities so now I have no internet on Ubuntu.

I think if I reinstall then I can get back to where I originally started.

Thank you.

EDIT I have two disks a 64 bit and 32 bit which is best to use. If I need 64 bit it should tell me so, correct?

eightmillion
July 29th, 2008, 10:52 AM
If your BIOS is set up to boot from a CD then you should be able to just insert the CD and reboot your computer. If it's not, you'll have to adjust your BIOS settings. This is done by hitting a button when your computer begins to boot. This is usually ESC, DEL, or one of the function keys. Your boot screen should tell you which. Then you want to change the boot order to boot from the CDROM first.

I have two disks a 64 bit and 32 bit which is best to use. If I need 64 bit it should tell me so, correct?

Unless you have 4GB or more of RAM or some specific reason to run 64 bit, you should go with the 32 bit version.

frup
July 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Unless you have 4GB or more of RAM or some specific reason to run 64 bit, you should go with the 32 bit version.

A good reason would be if you do a lot of encoding of sound or video files...

forger
July 29th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Correction, you can use ubuntu 32-bit with more than 4GB ram memory:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5364146
If your processor has PAE that is :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

eopi
July 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I hit F12 and maybe that did it but maybe not. It did start to ask if I wanted to install so I said YES ENGLISH.

But then when I got to the partition screen it said ERROR. I could see the dialog box with 2 partitions, my existing Windows and my existing UBUNTU. I wanted to redo my UBUNTU but it wouldn't allow me to go forward. I'll try again tonight when I have time.

UBUNTU just works for smarter people. :)

If your BIOS is set up to boot from a CD then you should be able to just insert the CD and reboot your computer. If it's not, you'll have to adjust your BIOS settings. This is done by hitting a button when your computer begins to boot. This is usually ESC, DEL, or one of the function keys. Your boot screen should tell you which. Then you want to change the boot order to boot from the CDROM first.