PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keyboard model after 7.10 to 8.04 upgrade

mlewies
July 29th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Hi

I use an external pc-105 keyboard on my laptop which worked perfectly under Gutsy. However since upgrading to 8.04, using my numeric keypad now causes X to crash.

I have tried forcing the keyboard model to a generic pc-105 keyboard and ensuring it is in my xorg.conf:

---------------------
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection
----------------------

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

clanmackay
July 31st, 2008, 05:05 AM
I have a Microsoft Natural Internet Keyboard. In Gutsy it worked as it was supposed to: type numbers. In Hardy, it does nothing. Not sure if this is the same issue, but it sure sounds reasonable.

(Yes, smart aleck, I know about the Num Lock key.)

ddixonr
July 31st, 2008, 06:54 AM
On my desktop running hardy, I constantly (everytime I reboot) have to go into keyboard settings and tell it not to use the keyboard to control the mouse. Unchecking the box immediately allows the numpad to work. I don't know why it won't remember to do this every time, but it just takes a second and I don't have to reboot very often.

clanmackay
July 31st, 2008, 08:28 AM
On my desktop running hardy, I constantly (everytime I reboot) have to go into keyboard settings and tell it not to use the keyboard to control the mouse. Unchecking the box immediately allows the numpad to work. I don't know why it won't remember to do this every time, but it just takes a second and I don't have to reboot very often.

That did the trick. Thank you.