PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Permissions within GNOME and gksudo

Dev3383
July 29th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I, am as posting in this forum would indicate, a fairly new user to Ubuntu.

i am in the process of transferring over from IIS to Apache2, thus from windows to Ubuntu.

now i am normally the guy answering stupid questions so i looked around before i finally decided to ask for help (stupid geeky pride).

I need permissions for the file manager (nautilus, as i understand it), to copy some files from a remote share, into a directory i have created at /var/media. Everything i have found indicates i should be able to give nautilus permissions by going to the CLI (CTRL+ALT+F1-F6) and entering
gksudo nautilus. when i do this it responds with

(gksudo:7623): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Any help would be awesome.

InfinityCircuit
July 29th, 2008, 05:50 AM
You want to use gksu nautilus from the X environment, not from the command line. Go to X (Ctrl+Alt+F7) and then type Alt+F2 to get a Run box open. Then gksudo nautilus should work.

ConMan318
July 29th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Gksdo is a graphical superuser mode, so in a command line mode you can't open it. Since there is no graphical display, you are getting that error. Hit Alt+F2 and type 'gksudo nautilus', or type it from the command line in the gui (meaning from a terminal).

Dev3383
July 29th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Thank you, i was unaware of the ALT+F2 Run app window. That should take care of me nicely.

Thank you for the helpful replies