PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 install stops

jb3usa
July 29th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I have been trying to load Ubuntu 8.04 and I get the Ubuntu Logo, then it goes to:
-Starting deferred execution scheduler atd
-Stating Periodic Command Scheduler crond
-Checking Battery State...
-Running Local Boot Scripts(/etc/rc.local)
After the last script, it stops and does nothing else!
I have tried several times. I have installed more memory and tried again...NOTHING BETTER. Same thing. Windows will load, but not Ubuntu 8.04. The CD was ordered from Ubuntu.com and came from Canonical via MediaMotion in The Netherlands.
It is being installed on a Pentium3/933 with 512 mb RAM and a 20 gb HDD.
Could I have gotten a bad CD from Canonical? Or What is the deal with the non-loading of the Ubuntu OS?
I'm at a standstill. I'm stupefied. I had 7.0x on it, but I had to order it as the downloaded version wouldn't load either. Now the 8.04 that I ordered won't load. The disk is clean and will load Windows. Please Help!!!
John Bewig III

PmDematagoda
July 29th, 2008, 05:23 AM
What is the VGA card you use?

jb3usa
July 29th, 2008, 05:34 AM
The video card is an old SIS 6326 AGP run of the mill video card. It DID work on the 7.04 version, but the 8.04???
I also thought that this CD was a self installer. I cant get to the part to even format the disk or partition it.

PmDematagoda
July 29th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Did you try starting the Ubuntu installer in Safe Graphics Mode?

Sef
July 29th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Could I have gotten a bad CD from Canonical? Or What is the deal with the non-loading of the Ubuntu OS?

At the menu, go down to 'Check Disk for Errors'.

jb3usa
July 29th, 2008, 07:52 AM
It does not offer me anything. I have no option to check disk. The above (top) is the only thing that happens. It is in text only, and the commands that are put on there by the installer, all have an OK in the right side of each line. I have NO chance to boot into any safe mode or check disk, just the text messages.
I hope this helps!!!

PmDematagoda
July 29th, 2008, 07:53 AM
About the Live CD, did the Ubuntu desktop show up properly when the Live desktop started?

jb3usa
July 29th, 2008, 08:27 AM
The Ubuntu Desktop??? NO!
The Ubuntu LOGO??? YES!
No options were available.

jb3usa
July 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM
OK! Good news!!!
I put another video card in there and it just went to the desktop.
I must say thank you to all who helped! I would have never thought that the graphic logo would have displayed and not the desktop. I have to guess then that Ubuntu 8.04 does NOT like the SIS run of the mill video card??!!
I gyess the next thing I would need to know though, is where do I go to find the hardware that Ubuntu will take??? I hate to shotgun parts in the computer just to find out they don't work, especially if they are NEW parts!
Is there a good place for me to find this info? I didn't see much of anything on Ubuntu.com

Again, thanks to all who pitched in for this!

PmDematagoda
July 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM
The Ubuntu Desktop??? NO!
The Ubuntu LOGO??? YES!
No options were available.

Is this with the Ubuntu Live(Install) CD? Or is this after you installed Ubuntu? If you have the Ubuntu Live CD then you should get a menu where you can select certain options from.

jb3usa
July 29th, 2008, 08:43 AM
It was the Live Cd, and I was waiting for instructions which I never got. It only booted to the Ubuntu Logo and then performed its own command line functions, all of which had an OK next to them, and then stopped. It never went to the desktop and the window that offered me the option of run from CD or full install until AFTER I put the ATI video card in it.
Does this sound odd to you? Have you seen this before?
The part that fooled me is that the Ubuntu logo shows at first, and then the text lines, then it stops performing install.
I liie to buy Intel motherboards with the ONBOARD 900 or 950 graphics accelerator video on it, but I hate to do that just to find out that Linux, especially Ubuntu doesn't like it???!!!

PmDematagoda
July 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Perhaps you may have a defective Live CD if you don't even get to a menu where you can select options from.

Download the Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD image from here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download), burn the image to a CD as an ISO image at 4x or less(very important), then boot the PC with the new Live CD and see if there is any improvement.