View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tech Q's

July 29th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I'm trying to install ubuntu on my windows based computer. Unfortunately I have to share the computer with the rest of my family (who aren't as tech savvy as me) so I was wondering so I need to have this for only MY profile

1.Can I install this onto a separate hard-drive and use that to run all of my stuff (also can I pick which drive I want to use)
2.If I can, will I also be able to pick which drive I want to use
3.Can I run windows programs on ubuntu (Ex. YIM, games, limewire...ect)
4.Can I connect to the Internet using my Netzero launcher (yes I have dial-up and yes it is VERY sad)
5.If I can't connect using Netzero what can I use

any answers to any of these questions would help tremendously and any help would be appreciated thnx!

July 29th, 2008, 04:28 AM
1. yes
2. yes look into grub and the term "dual boot"
3 yes look into wine http://winehq.org/
4. yes
5. NA

July 29th, 2008, 04:31 AM
1.You can set up a dual boot with ubuntu and windows but make sure that you derfragment your HD before attempting to resize it to make room for ubuntu. Once you have this done you will be given the option to boot into either OS at startup.
2. You can choose between partitions yes, but dual hard drives might be a little trickier.
3.You can run some windows programs with Wine ( a windows compatibility layer) Their home site has a app database which shows you which programs work with it and how well.
4.Yes that is quite sad, lol. But yes you can install a dial up client from the repos.

July 29th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Yes to both 1&2. For 3, some windows programs have linux versions and most others have linux alternatives that are just as good as the original. You shouldn't have too much of a problem. Only the games might give you a problem, but a lot of the more popular games can be run under wine. Unsure about 4&5.