View Full Version : [ubuntu] LiveCD keeps freezing my laptop

July 29th, 2008, 04:21 AM
I downloaded the .iso file of Ubuntu 8.04 and burned it onto a blank CD. I used the CD to boot from my brand new laptop that I got today and I get the Ubuntu main menu where I can choose the various options. I tried choosing demo, the test memory, etc but all of them just freeze at random points of "Loading Linux Kernel"... I thought it could be the CD so I burned a 2nd copy and that copy wouldn't even show the loading screen... Anyone have any idea what's going on?

July 29th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Yeh the possibility of a bad burn is there, make sure to use a slow speed and a decent CD burner that supports .isos

July 29th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Does it get to the point where you see Ubuntu loading ??

July 29th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I see the Ubuntu main menu, I get stuck in the "Loading Linux Kernel" status bar. I never got anywhere beyond that.

I tried to boot Windows after giving up on trying to boot Ubuntu and I get a "windows could not boot" message. I'm doing a system restore right now...

July 29th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Did you try to install ubuntu ??

'cause I'm guessing it may have corrupted your boot sector.

July 29th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I tried using the demo so I can try out what Ubuntu is like; I didn't try to install Ubuntu itself.

I did a system restore and got into Windows just fine; I did lose some data but I have nothing important/irreplaceable in it (since it's brand new) so it doesn't matter.