PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vista vs. Ubuntu: Should I switch?

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 02:24 AM
This winter, I got a new HP laptop (with Vista). I'm rather unsatisfied with Vista (for the usual reasons), and have been told to switch to Ubuntu. However, I'm mildly concerned that I'll suddenly lose the ability to use some of my computer's basic functions out of my technical ineptitude. I've looked around for answers, and some of this looks like it may be more trouble than it's worth, but it's hard for me to tell, since I don't know much about Ubuntu. Here are my concerns:

Music--I have 2500 songs right now on iTunes. They weren't bought from iTunes; they were ripped from CDs over the course of several years. However, they are in that odd iTunes file format. Is there an easy way of converting them (and keeping the artist, album, and song title; going through 2500 unknown songs is not quite feasible) to something usable in media players supported by Ubuntu?

Web Browsing--I'm a Firefox guy, but I still have to use IE for certain websites (channelsurfing.net). Is this feasible?

Word Processing--I'm sure there are plenty of open source word processors. But I also am the copy editor with my school's newspaper, so I need to be able to edit things written in Word. Is that feasible?

Messaging--I'd be shocked if there weren't an equivalent to AIM (that runs better).

LaTeX--I just downloaded this last week and am quite green with it. The Adobe Reader works like absolute crap with Vista. Assuming this works (better) with Ubuntu?

Sage--I'm going to need to get this soon. I've heard it works best in Ubuntu though.

General Hardware/Usability--Will it be hard to learn to do the basic things? Connect to the Internet (via Linksys router)? Print?

I'm not really looking for answers for how to do all of this, I just want to know if it can be done with minimum headaches. Is the improvement in switching from Vista to Ubuntu worth any hassle that may accompany it (in my specific case)?

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Word Processing: OpenOffice.org is a whole office suite and it can open your word docs.

Messaging: Pidgin, it can work with any chat service.

Connecting to the internet is automatic

Printer should install automatically.

Use the live cd and see if everything works right.

When insatlling just install ubuntu on a different partition so you can still have vista

laffinet
July 29th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I would suggest installing Ubuntu in a dual boot scenario. That way you can try it, see whether it does everything you need and find out if it's too much hassle to get everything working the way you need it to.
While you get familiar with Ubuntu you've always got the vista installation as a fallback if you need to get something done that you haven't achieved in Ubuntu yet.

jamesrfla
July 29th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Vista is slow and gets virus. Ubuntu is fast and doesn't get viruses. I would do a dual boot or use Wubi.

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Vista is slow and gets virus. Ubuntu is fast and doesn't get viruses.

Yes, I understand this. But if I lose 2500 songs to gain some speed, it's not worth it. Per kool_kat, most of those problems weren't big issues, but music is still a concern.

rotwang888
July 29th, 2008, 02:36 AM
For the music- yes, there are ways to convert your music, but don't. The quality will suffer in the process. iTunes rips to AAC by default, which won't play on Ubuntu "out of the box", but getting the codec to play them is easy. You'd have to do the same thing to play standard mp3s anyway. I would leave your music as is and just reconsider the format you rip cds to in the future.

pkl266
July 29th, 2008, 02:38 AM
My suggestion to you is to download ubuntu, burn it to a disk, and simply try it out on the LiveCD. That way you can test if your hardware works and just get a general feel for the OS, and should you not like it or should there be a problem, just reboot and no harm is done.
That said, remember that on the livecd the OS will be considerably more sluggish than if it were really installed, so take that into consideration.

nbayiha
July 29th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Actually everything on You.
What are you reason to move from Vista to Windows. Within those reason you will find the envy to continue (or start your road) in the Open source world.

You won't have any problem to use equivalent of program you listed up. For internet explorer You got Ies4linux , You may use AbiWord and Gnumeric Spreadsheet , Openoffice for word processing ,For messenger u just have tons of, everything depending on you. I will advice you to tried Kopete and give a try to Gyachi(for yahoo messenger the best for linux).

Dont forget , i can see u are new user, just learn how to be patient and to read the forum and look for answer. And you wont regret ur choice to move from Vista to Linux.

Good Nigth and Good Luck

ConMan318
July 29th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Music should be no problem, as Rhythmbox (one of the open source music programs, which works much like iTunes) can play a lot of different filetypes (including m4a, which I think is the dafault for iTunes). You can very easily plug in your iPod and with one click/drag put all of the songs on it onto your computer.

Web browsing might give you some trouble if you absolutely need IE for anything.

Open Office can edit your Word documents, and you can save in Word formats as well as many other formats.

Pidgin will suit your IMing needs.

I have no experience with LaTeX. Most likely there won't be issues though.

Internet is automated pretty well, and since your computer is fairly new it's very unlikely you will have connection issues. Most printers work out of the box with minimal/no setup necessary.

Your thoughts on whether to switch or not are a lot like mine when I was deciding to switch (December) and I am very happy that I did. The learning curve for Ubuntu is pretty small, obviously there is an enormous amount of information to learn, but I mean as far as becoming as proficient with Ubuntu as you are with Windows. You could also dual-boot with Windows (though I would suggest not using Wubi, make a real partition) to do the few things for which you might need Windows.

Download a liveCD and try it out, then you'll see if you have any more questions.

PlutoniumBoss
Question on this general topic: would anyone here recommend andLinux (http://www.andlinux.org/)? How well does it work with Vista?

yestoAPRS
I have Ubuntu Hardy Heron installed side by side with Vista, I use them both for different things, the sound coming from the speakers is twice as loud with Vista as it is Ubuntu, I don't know why. Machine is a HPa6412p. I think sooner or later to have enough space on the hard drive I will have to delete one of the systems and it's probably going to be Vista. I don't know yet, I'm still having some problems learning Linux.

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Web browsing might give you some trouble if you absolutely need IE for anything.

The issue is channelsurfing.net. It only works in IE. I need channelsurfing.net if I'm to get my Tennessee football games while out of state for college.

a0u
July 29th, 2008, 02:46 AM
The issue is channelsurfing.net. It only works in IE. I need channelsurfing.net if I'm to get my Tennessee football games while out of state for college.

Try IEs4Linux (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page) - have a look at this useful installation guide for Ubuntu (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ies4linux).

Let me warn you that getting wireless Internet to work can be an absolute pain if your hardware vendor is unhealthily Windows-centric. Other than that, the very least you can do is try Ubuntu firsthand with a LiveCD or Wubi like the other users suggested.

Question on this general topic: would anyone here recommend andLinux (http://www.andlinux.org/)? How well does it work with Vista?
I've never tried it, but it seems the main flaw is that you are still stuck with Windows. andLinux might be useful when you need a few *nix utilities and applications (not an entire OS), but it probably would not be sufficient for a user looking for a great GNU/Linux experience.

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 02:47 AM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

it says it works in windows...i havent tried it in linux yet

jamesrfla
July 29th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Everybody hear want you to go to linux. I would just do a dual boot.

ibuclaw
July 29th, 2008, 02:51 AM
What HP laptop would that be?

Regards
Iain

yestoAPRS
July 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM
My HP is a desktop pc with a 17" lcd monitor processor E2180.

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM
What HP laptop would that be?

Regards
Iain

Pavilion dv6500 Notebook.

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Everybody hear want you to go to linux. I would just do a dual boot.

Actually, the general consensus has been a dual boot. Of course, I don't know how to do that either. Guy down the street (just moved to a new neighborhood) offered to come over and install it for me though, if I wished, so hopefully he would know.

yestoAPRS
July 29th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I am also using Ubuntu 7.10 on an old Gateway that had windows 98 in it for amateur radio APRS Xastir software connected to a TNC and a 2 meter radio for messaging over RF and position reports w/o a GPS connected. That computer ran for 270 days before it forced itself to a kernel check and I had to restart it.

yestoAPRS
July 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Actually, the general consensus has been a dual boot. Of course, I don't know how to do that either. Guy down the street (just moved to a new neighborhood) offered to come over and install it for me though, if I wished, so hopefully he would know.

Some ops are using microsoft virtual PC, but it wouldnt work for me and Vista has a utility builtin to make that work on it's own.

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM

To dual boot is easy,

when installing ubuntu, there will be a step in the installation that looks sortof like this
http://www.techotopia.com/images/5/52/Ubuntu_disk_partitioning_screen.jpg

See the slider? in 8.04.1 it is labeled with Vista on one side and ubuntu on the other. Slide it to the amount of space you want to give vista and the remaining amount will be used by ubuntu.

ibuclaw
July 29th, 2008, 02:59 AM
ah, Pavilions.
Yes, they are a very good range for Linux.
I'm on a DV2750 myself. It is good stuff with minor tweaking! (A small BIOS upgrade and used the 64bit version).

Regards
Iain

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 03:03 AM
To dual boot is easy,

Will Vista need absurdly much space? I just glanced at my current usage, and it says I have 83 gigs of hard drive space free (out of 140). I hadn't actually looked at that before (because it's so hard to find in Vista), but I just transferred files from laptop with a 24 gig harddrive? How the heck is it using 57?

yestoAPRS
July 29th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Ubuntu is almost a thousand megs on the HD

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Will Vista need absurdly much space? I just glanced at my current usage, and it says I have 83 gigs of hard drive space free (out of 140). I hadn't actually looked at that before (because it's so hard to find in Vista), but I just transferred files from laptop with a 24 gig harddrive? How the heck is it using 57?

Well...either you use alot of space on your computer or you got hacked

what do you do on your laptop?

Just give 25 percent of disk space to ubuntu

That is around 35GB for ubuntu and the rest to vista.

before installing...BACKUP your data

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 03:07 AM

Listen to music. Surf the web. Talk on AIM. Use Word and LaTeX. Honestly, that's about it.

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Listen to music. Surf the web. Talk on AIM. Use Word and LaTeX. Honestly, that's about it.

hmm...well...thats very strange....it is possible that you could got hacked.

becuase 50 GB is ALOT of space...i have xp and i used 20 GB

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 03:09 AM

Just give 25 percent of disk space to ubuntu

That is around 35GB for ubuntu and the rest to vista.

before installing...BACKUP your data

Oh, and my Users folder claims to only be using 14 gigs. So that's 43 unaccounted for.

ibuclaw
July 29th, 2008, 03:10 AM

That is a mystery.
Try searching through the filesystem for files larger than, say 200MB. and single out the largest and look up what they are for.

As for partitioning.
15-20GB will do just fine for the Root partition for Ubuntu.
This is where all programs are installed/configurations kept/etc.

Then you can have 20-30GB for your /home partition where all your personal files will reside.

Regards
Iain

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 03:10 AM
how much is the program files folder and the windows folder?

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 03:11 AM
hmm...well...thats very strange....it is possible that you could got hacked.

becuase 50 GB is ALOT of space...i have xp and i used 20 GB

yeah, I only used about 10-15 on XP. I was just wondering if Vista just blocked off a ton of space just to be ornery. It seems like the sort of thing it would do.

PlutoniumBoss
July 29th, 2008, 03:13 AM
It seems my question was lost on the first page. I know it's a slight tangent, but would anyone here recommend andLinux (http://www.andlinux.org/)? How well does it work with Vista?

I'm going to be in a similar situation in the near future when I get an HP Pavilion tablet notebook, except that I know for a fact I cannot do without Windows on that machine. There is a security dongle for a program I require that simply will not install on Ubuntu. (I've tried on this sandbox machine.) AndLinux seems like the best compromise, if it works.

MisanthropicAnthropoid
how much is the program files folder and the windows folder?

.98 GB and 895 MB, respectively.

Ebritno
hmm... another alturnative is VMware.... works great for testing... you can get vmplayer for free online at http://www.vmware.com/download/player/
and make a "virtual" hard disk to install linux on at http://www.easyvmx.com/

VMplayer for those who dont know, basically runs the os in a window like anyother program.
-you dont have to wipe you hard drive as it installs on the virtual drive you create a "easyvmx"
-you dont have to go through the trouble of partitioning your hard drive (which isnt a big deal but it can be quite time consuming on larger hard drives with lots of data and can pose a low-high risk of data loss if depending on the users experience and caution)

I love to mess around on it... it takes like 10 secs to make the virtual drive and the installation is like 1-2hours but i can still use my main os while vmware works its magic. basically I can do whatever to it...no strings attached :)

ibuclaw
July 29th, 2008, 03:16 AM
It seems my question was lost on the first page. I know it's a slight tangent, but would anyone here recommend andLinux (http://www.andlinux.org/)? How well does it work with Vista?

I'm going to be in a similar situation in the near future when I get an HP Pavilion tablet notebook, except that I know for a fact I cannot do without Windows on that machine. There is a security dongle for a program I require that simply will not install on Ubuntu. (I've tried on this sandbox machine.) AndLinux seems like the best compromise, if it works.

I think that you are better off asking that in your own thread, but, to give you my opinion, take a look at Ulteo Virtual Desktop (http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/download?autolang=en), it uses a mixture between co + andLinux, and is much more polished.

Regards
Iain

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Also, since for whatever reason, I have a lot of HD space gone already, if I dual boot for a while, get used to Ubuntu, and decide I need rid of vista, is it easy to delete vista and get that part of the HD back?

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 03:21 AM
That is a mystery.
Try searching through the filesystem for files larger than, say 200MB. and single out the largest and look up what they are for.

Says there aren't any.

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 03:22 AM
uh...do you mean completely take vista off?

MisanthropicAnthropoid
uh...do you mean completely take vista off?

Yeah.

PlutoniumBoss
I think that you are better off asking that in your own thread, but, to give you my opinion, take a look at Ulteo Virtual Desktop (http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/download?autolang=en), it uses a mixture between co + andLinux, and is much more polished.

Regards
Iain

I probably will ask in my own thread later, when I actually have the machine in question. But I thought the original poster might also be interested in such alternatives, so I thought I'd ask here. Thank you for giving me another option to research.

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 03:25 AM

just select "guided, use entire disk"

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 03:29 AM

just select "guided, use entire disk"

That should've been obvious, shouldn't it?

Like I said, I don't know much about it at all, I'm just collecting information to see what I ought to do. At this point, dual booting seems like the best option (although it's probably worthwhile to invest in an external so I can back things up).

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 03:30 AM
just back up files that you need...to a dvd

laffinet
July 29th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Dual boot sounds a lot harder than it is. There are plenty of guides out there too:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

Ebritno
July 29th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Also, since for whatever reason, I have a lot of HD space gone already, if I dual boot for a while, get used to Ubuntu, and decide I need rid of vista, is it easy to delete vista and get that part of the HD back?

If i understand the question correctly, I believe the answer is yes. I have done something like that before... i used an .iso called g-parted to delete the vista partition and increase the size of the linux partition with the free space now provided via vista's deletion. Unless you or some one else has a preferred method here is a link to an iso for g parted (its free)
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779

MatthewPlanchard
July 29th, 2008, 03:38 AM
As others have said, it's relatively easy to get your media players hooked up to play .aac format files, but if you want to be freedom-chuggin and convert your media to the free .ogg format, there are programs like OggConvert (http://www.gtkfiles.org/app.php/OggConvert) whose sole purpose is to make that as painless as possible.

SpenceMakesSense
July 29th, 2008, 03:41 AM
When it comes to vista taking up so much space. They use some kind of system that practically copys the file to another folder almost doubling the intended size. Main reason i dont use vista.

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 03:42 AM
As others have said, it's relatively easy to get your media players hooked up to play .aac format files, but if you want to be freedom-chuggin and convert your media to the free .ogg format, there are programs like OggConvert (http://www.gtkfiles.org/app.php/OggConvert) whose sole purpose is to make that as painless as possible.

This seemed like it wouldn't be a big issue, but upon typing into Google, the first things I found were tons of people bemoaning the amazing difficulty of getting iTunes files to play in other media players on Ubuntu.

cowboyup6983
July 29th, 2008, 04:16 AM
i just started with Ubuntu and don't see a new to go back to Windows. As far as music is concerned, im not 100% sure of your options. I wouldnt see how converted them to mp3 would lose quality but if someone else says yes then they are probably right. i new itunes had weird format from the beginning which is why i never install it, instead found away to use windows media player to recognize my ipod as a USB device and transferred music there.

as far as internet explorer goes, i too need to use IE for school, and i found that you can install IE with a program called wine. I was able to do so and have been able to do my school stuff without any problems.

open office, the office suites, does support Microsoft office formats. which means u can save a file using open office as a .doc file which will open in microsoft word at another station.

as far as hardware configurations, it pretty much does everything for you as soon as it boots. the only drivers i needed were for my graphic cards, which took a couple hours of research to fix. i dont see a problem for an OEM PC, that comes with integrated graphics, it will do it on its own. it did for a dell of mine. printer should be okay to, i cant get mine to install though, im using canon new model and im using ubuntu 64bit OS, cause i have over 4GB or Ram. so tough for me!

vista is absolutely overbloated and there isnt a need for like 40% of the stuff it comes with. i would suggest u try the LIVE CD and see how u like it.

question for you, can u take the time to burn all the songs on your itunes as a data CD instead of audio. if possible, then u could install itunes on ubuntu using wine, same as u would for install internet explorer.

rotwang888
July 29th, 2008, 05:01 AM
This seemed like it wouldn't be a big issue, but upon typing into Google, the first things I found were tons of people bemoaning the amazing difficulty of getting iTunes files to play in other media players on Ubuntu.

These people are most likely talking about music purchased from the itunes store. That stuff will only play in itunes. You would have as much trouble with that using a non-itunes player in Windows as you would in Ubuntu. If all your music is stuff you ripped yourself you are not going to have a problem. You'll try to play them in a Linux player, you'll get a message asking if you want to install a package to play restricted file types, you do so, and you're fine. It's all but automatic.

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Thanks, y'all. You've been quite helpful. And I know some of my questions must've been insulting to your intelligence. I'm off to Madison for the rest of the week, but I'm definitely going to try to set up a dual boot when I get back. I'll probably bother you with more questions at that point.

archer6
July 29th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I'm rather unsatisfied with Vista (for the usual reasons), and have been told to switch to Ubuntu.

Here is the approach I took. I purchased a Ubuntu 8.04 liveDVD from this company below. I didn't have an easy way to download and burn it myself, and this was a perfect alternative. The liveDVD has more software on it besides the OS which is all that comes on the liveCD. At only $5.95 it was a bargain and arrived in just three days.

http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/linux/ubuntu/i386.html

Once I received the disc, I did the install and found it super easy to set it up as dual boot with Windows. I believe you would be very happy with this arrangement. It's fast, easy and you end up with the best of both.

Suilenroc
July 29th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu! I've just joined myself, and I'm more than happy with it. The only reason I use windows anymore is to get my TF2 fix. Too bad I can't play that satisfactorily in Ubuntu.

BTW, if you want to get comfortable with the terminal, I'd suggest this guide: http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linuxcommand.org/index.php

I'm currently using it, and, quite frankly, it's been a godsend.

cake_or_death
July 29th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I switched from Vista to Ubuntu in January of this year. My first try was with Gusty, which was a nightmare. I went running back to Vista after Gutsy crapped out, but built up the courage to try Hardy when it was released. Hardy 8.04 is working quite nicely. Even though I've had to do two or three clean reinstallations of Hardy due to my own meddling with the system, and I'm still trying to get the suspend and hibernate functions to work properly (I did it before, how the hell do I do it again?), I would STILL recommend Ubuntu over Windows Vista without hesitation. The system itself runs noticeably faster, and the fact that I can completely corrupt my Ubuntu system with experimentation, reinstall from the live cd, and be back to work in less than an hour is good enough for me. Try that with any Windows OS.

MisanthropicAnthropoid
July 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I switched from Vista to Ubuntu in January of this year. My first try was with Gusty, which was a nightmare. I went running back to Vista after Gutsy crapped out, but built up the courage to try Hardy when it was released. Hardy 8.04 is working quite nicely. Even though I've had to do two or three clean reinstallations of Hardy due to my own meddling with the system, and I'm still trying to get the suspend and hibernate functions to work properly (I did it before, how the hell do I do it again?), I would STILL recommend Ubuntu over Windows Vista without hesitation. The system itself runs noticeably faster, and the fact that I can completely corrupt my Ubuntu system with experimentation, reinstall from the live cd, and be back to work in less than an hour is good enough for me. Try that with any Windows OS.

Last thought before I get to driving. . . your handle is absolutely amazing! Eddie? (oh, and thanks for the thoughts on Ubuntu)

billgoldberg
July 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Music--I have 2500 songs right now on iTunes. They weren't bought from iTunes; they were ripped from CDs over the course of several years. However, they are in that odd iTunes file format. Is there an easy way of converting them (and keeping the artist, album, and song title; going through 2500 unknown songs is not quite feasible) to something usable in media players supported by Ubuntu?

I never used iTunes and have no idea what format they use. However, I'm pretty sure it will play. Others may know.

There are converters available, both command line and gui.

If you install Ubuntu, don't forget to visit the link in my signature to install all the codecs and some other stuff as well (flash).

Web Browsing--I'm a Firefox guy, but I still have to use IE for certain websites (channelsurfing.net). Is this feasible?

You can install IE 6 in linux, not sure about 7 or 8 beta.

Word Processing--I'm sure there are plenty of open source word processors. But I also am the copy editor with my school's newspaper, so I need to be able to edit things written in Word. Is that feasible?

There are a few open source word editors (openoffice write, abiword, koffice, ...). Open Office is installed by default and can open and edit and save to .doc

Messaging--I'd be shocked if there weren't an equivalent to AIM (that runs better).

The default IM program on ubuntu (pidgin) supports AIM.

LaTeX--I just downloaded this last week and am quite green with it. The Adobe Reader works like absolute crap with Vista. Assuming this works (better) with Ubuntu?

Don't know

Sage--I'm going to need to get this soon. I've heard it works best in Ubuntu though.

Don't know

General Hardware/Usability--Will it be hard to learn to do the basic things? Connect to the Internet (via Linksys router)? Print?

No. It's pretty straight forward.

Wired internet will be automatic, idem for wireless internet if your card is supported. If it isn't supported, there are ways to still get it working, but it will require some work.

I'm not really looking for answers for how to do all of this, I just want to know if it can be done with minimum headaches. Is the improvement in switching from Vista to Ubuntu worth any hassle that may accompany it (in my specific case)?

Sure it is.

But I would advice you start with dual booting, for obvious reasons.

JoneYee
July 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I didn't read any of the other posts so I can be unbiased by other's opinions when I give you mine.

I purchased two machines in early spring that both had Vista Home Premium pre-installed on them. I immediately upgraded one to Professional (via MSDN provided by my employer).

I saw a lot of the same problems in both machines especially the annoying user security prompts that served no purpose and the absolute wasting of system resources.

There is a user on this forum that has a quote: Vista is like a gas, it expands to fit the container, and this is in essence true with how it leverages Volume Shadow Copy.

I retrograded one of the machines to XP Professional 6 weeks after purchase out of sheer frustration with Vista.

About 3 weeks ago I moved one of my client machines to Ubuntu and have been absolutely happy with it.

I don't know your reasons, but I am not a big time gamer, so that was not a problem for me with respect to migration. My biggest obstacle was DRM protected music from iTunes which I solved via Tunebite and Amarok.

It's up to you, but I have now migrated my entire network to Ubuntu including the two servers in my home office. The only Wndows Machine that remains is the Vista Laptop my spouse uses as she would not have the patience to learn Linux, and myspace works in IE.

archer6
July 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I would STILL recommend Ubuntu over Windows Vista without hesitation. The system itself runs noticeably faster,
Very true, this is something that I can also confirm.

and the fact that I can completely corrupt my Ubuntu system with experimentation, reinstall from the live cd, and be back to work in less than an hour is good enough for me. Try that with any Windows OS.
Very well said ! This is perhaps the best, most enjoyable "feature" of all, as it gives one great peace of mind knowing that if I kill it while experimenting / learning, a reinstall is just a matter of minutes.

gjoellee
July 29th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I switched from Vista...Ubuntu is much better, but make sure that everything works fine when you are running Live CD before installing the system! If everything seams to work fine you should install it. It took me about 1week to become a "friend" with Ubuntu, and know it well. So the first week can for someone be quite horrible, but after that you will find Ubuntu much better.
-MUCH faster
-A good community
-and much more!!!!!

EnGorDiaz
July 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Yes, I understand this. But if I lose 2500 songs to gain some speed, it's not worth it. Per kool_kat, most of those problems weren't big issues, but music is still a concern.

you install on a different partion ok then you look in the other drive and transfer ur songs to the other partion all media drivers will be downloaded for them you can run them in rhythmbox the default player for ubuntu and if you want eye candy for ur desktop www.gnome-look.org

archer6
July 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I switched from Vista...Ubuntu is much better, but make sure that everything works fine when you are running Live CD before installing the system! If everything seams to work fine you should install it. It took me about 1week to become a "friend" with Ubuntu, and know it well. So the first week can for someone be quite horrible, but after that you will find Ubuntu much better.
-MUCH faster
-A good community
-and much more!!!!!

Great Advice! To which I would ad that at least with Ubuntu, once one learns the basics, it only gets better. Relative to the OS from Redmond, the return on your investment of time is astronomical.....;)

Ebritno
July 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I was a little curious myself to get to know the "vista vs Ubuntu" debates and such, and in my research i dicovered these links

I liked how this one categorized things (smacked vista around alot)
http://www.itcomparison.com/OS/vistavsubuntu/vistavsubuntu.htm

showed vista favor by a hair (this was in the authors words "granny-friendly-test (he viewed the dependence on the linux shell a downer)-
http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/linux/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201179

This one was just plain stupid, but it made me laugh so...
http://www.bbspot.com/News/2007/04/ubuntu-vs-vista.html

Hope these helped a little... if your looking to just try things i suggest the already mentioned methods of a
-Back up data (music, etc)
-Try
---live cd (boots ubuntu from a iso, no deletion of files necisarry)
---dual boot (requires some partitioning, but u keep both os's)
---VMplayer + easy vmx [run ubuntu like you would IE, (in a window)]
-Make your decision

Personal opinion-> as new as i am to linux, i find my lack of knowledge in the shell a challenge waiting to be met. I have thus far loved it. with a little time invested into linux commands and beyond linux in general has proven to be a powerful os with many more options than i have ever experienced with a windows program (winows 95 -> Vista) It may just be luck but i found hardware configuration 100X easier on ubuntu (centos included) aswell than vista and winxp. it was practicaly plug and play with everything.

Hope I helped anyone

SilverGoldBronze
July 30th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I don't recommend andLinux, it is a beta and therefore possibly containing things that can damage your system. If you want to try Ubuntu without installing, use Wubi, as in, put in the LiveCD when Windows is running to use Ubuntu as a program. Either that or just use the LiveCD, dontcha know.

georgegerm
July 30th, 2008, 03:20 AM
dual boot keep both,, but i suggest getting rid of vista nd do and xp 3 install (iŽdislike vista as you see)
andf your itunes can be made into mp3 no problem google it it will be easy... for the rest no reason to sweat but i insist you get rid of vista