PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] dead hard disk in laptop

tonymoloney
July 29th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I have a Compaq laptop with 2Gb RAM and 50Gb hard disk. Unfortunately, it suffered a head crash so I replaced the hard disk with a 160Gb drive.
Now, when I try to install Ubuntu (or any other distro) it go so far then re-boots.
If I use a rescue disk and run FreeDos, I can fdisk it, low level format it and make it active. However, when I try to load any distro, the hard disk light flashes away as setup files are copied to the disk, then when the real work begins, it reboots and goes through the same cycle.
The same thing happens if I try to install WinXP, i.e. the setup files get written to the disk, but as soon as it says "starting Windows", it reboots.
Anyone have any ideas before I commit to spending too much money on rescuing this system?

ajmorris
July 29th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I have a Compaq laptop with 2Gb RAM and 50Gb hard disk. Unfortunately, it suffered a head crash so I replaced the hard disk with a 160Gb drive.
Now, when I try to install Ubuntu (or any other distro) it go so far then re-boots.
If I use a rescue disk and run FreeDos, I can fdisk it, low level format it and make it active. However, when I try to load any distro, the hard disk light flashes away as setup files are copied to the disk, then when the real work begins, it reboots and goes through the same cycle.
The same thing happens if I try to install WinXP, i.e. the setup files get written to the disk, but as soon as it says "starting Windows", it reboots.
Anyone have any ideas before I commit to spending too much money on rescuing this system?

hi there,
im guessing you bought a SATA HD. Have you checked your BIOS settings for anything outlying that could be preventing a boot?

AJ

tonymoloney
July 29th, 2008, 05:30 AM
The new hard disk is definitely an IDE, but the strange thing is that it doesn't show up in the BIOS.
I've never seen that before and I don't know if it's a "feature" of Compaq laptops or if the BIOS really can't see it.

halitech
July 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Tony

What model of Compaq laptop do you have? I have an old Armada and I did alot of research (don't bother contacting Compaq/HP, they'll tell you nothing above 30 gig will work) and I found that up to a 120gig should work in most of the older laptops. If you can, take the 160 back and get a 120 and it should work