PDA

View Full Version : Should glipper be preinstalled?

Mateo
July 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM
If Tomboy is preinstalled (correct me if I'm wrong, but it still is, right?) Shouldn't glipper be a default app to? Under what circumstance would someone not want this?

frup
July 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM
From looking at it, it seems more worthy and useful for someone like me than tomboy (which I rarely use, although try to instead of text files like I am in the habit of)

It looks like a good app but misses something I want, having played a few RTS games I am in the habit of organising groups in to CTRL 1 CTRL 2 etc. I would love to be able to do this with the clip board.

For my job a year ago I had a period where I had to do some updating of data, essentially data entry for some 300 AutoCAD drawings, we had set up scripts and utilities to make the process as automatic as possible, unfortunately it is either not possible to loop and increment or we just couldn't find out how. This meant we had to enter all the data manually, revision numbers, title blocks, dates etc... For each drawing most of the data was similar, making the fact we couldn't automatically update very frustrating, having the ability to be able to store multiple objects in the clip board and access them via short cuts (eg CTRL 1, CTRL 2) would have been wonderful. We were using windows 2000 of course, something I had no control over... but Ubuntu having that kind of feature would just make it that much more appealing in those kinds of situations.

Mateo
July 29th, 2008, 12:00 AM
glipper does store history beyond just the most recent copy, if that's what you mean.

frup
July 29th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I made a brainstorm and linked it to this thread.
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/11604/

It's more about the key bindings and that both should be enabled by default, I don't really care how it's done, just that the functionality exists. Glipper is an option that you made me aware of, but this is something I have been thinking about at times for well over a year.