View Full Version : Suggestions for Basic CMS

July 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM

This is to solicit some suggestions for an open source content management system that we can integrate into our Java/Cold Fusion web site. For our first use, we have a single image that we would like our marketing team to be able to update themselves.

We have a largish consumer facing web site that we are in the process of updating design wise.
See our tech blog for details of our design efforts (http://windermere-technology.blogspot.com)

Here are some requirements regarding the main image on the home page:

Marketing staff must be able to update the image with their own tools (read developers don't have to prop the new file to the servers).
Some people in marketing should be set as "submitter" meaning they can add a new photo, and some should be set as "approvers" meaning they can approve new photos.
When a submitter uploads a photo, they must be able to preview how it will look on the home page before they move to the approval step.
The approver of a photo must not be the same person as the submitter.
A log of who submitted what and when must be created.
The image must go live on our web servers within minutes of being approved.

Of course, we will probably want to expand the capabilities of what can be updated in future releases.

So, any suggestions for a system that can meet our modest needs?

Cheers, Rick

July 29th, 2008, 03:36 AM
have you looked at drupal? I have used it a little and enjoyed it. I however havent used it on the same scale you have. I have mostly used it for personal uses.

July 29th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I have also used Drupal. I would recommend it. They have a strong forum community, so if you have an issue you have a reliable source of information.

Pharaoh Atem
April 11th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Perhaps Enano CMS (http://enanocms.org) might be something to look into? I'm not quite sure. Enano does have a Gallery plugin, it does have image upload/download and logging of such data, it does have ACLs you can use for that purpose. And I believe you can use ACLs to do the submit/approve workflow.

April 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM

A few CMS I have used before for some of my clients are Joomla and Drupal. I found Joomla to be better than drupal and also a little easier to setup.

-Ash R

April 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Wordpress is easiest (although not too fitting if you know what you're doing). Recently found DotClear too and like it.

Joomla! and Drupal didn't go with me for various reasons.