PDA

View Full Version : New Ubuntu Ultimate Edition website design

picpak
July 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Because many people (myself included) really don't like the design for Ubuntu Ultimate Edition's site:

http://ultimateedition.info/

I decided to make a new design for them:

http://ubuntu.freehostia.com/ue/

Let me know what you think! :)

tamoneya
July 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM
i dont use ultimate edition myself but its definitely a big improvement. I can clearly read everything. Also the really nice thing that I like about it is that the downloads are big and easy to find. I have seen way to many sites where i have difficulty finding the download link.

smartboyathome
July 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Great! Get it to him right away! The current website is... ugh, awful, imo.

gunashekar
July 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Looks good! Lot easier on the eye than the original site. Suggest you work on the choice of fonts and font sizes a little more. Try using a fewer fonts and make sure that the fonts go well with each other.

-grubby
July 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM
It's better than the current design, but why isn't the navigation at the top or somewhere more convienent? Also, why is the text area so thin?

Orlsend
July 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I was interested... but it dont think i would install a distro from a such ugly site...Maybe when you guys get better ill give you a try :D

Zero Prime
July 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I like it. I'm going to point this out to TheeMahn.

One very big important thing. There is no OS named Ubuntu Ultimate Edition. It is named Ultimate Edition.

picpak
July 28th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I like it. I'm going to point this out to TheeMahn.

One very big important thing. There is no OS named Ubuntu Ultimate Edition. It is named Ultimate Edition.

You're disowning your Ubuntu roots? :(

Zero Prime
July 28th, 2008, 09:58 PM
You're disowning your Ubuntu roots? :(
No, we have been given an order from Canonical to stop using the Ubuntu name and logo. They have stated that Ultimate Edition is to far away from what Ubuntu is. Contrary to popular Ubuntu belief, Ultimate is a lot more than it appears to be.

picpak
July 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM
No, we have been given an order from Canonical to stop using the Ubuntu name and logo. They have stated that Ultimate Edition is to far away from what Ubuntu is. Contrary to popular Ubuntu belief, Ultimate is a lot more than it appears to be.

Understandable. I can change the site if you'd like. :)

Zero Prime
July 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM
If you would actually like to become part of the team let me know. I like the design and the lay out. I've already submitted the link to TheeMahn and I'm waiting for the rest of the admins and him to see it and comment.

TheeMahn is currently working on another site. Ho do you like this.
http://ultamatix.com/

miggols99
July 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM
That's a lot better than the current design. One suggestion I have is to add some images next to the list of programs. Like a program's logo or a screenshot. And change the font size! And maybe have a better hover effect for the download links.

dizee
July 29th, 2008, 12:38 AM
much nicer. nice and clean and clear.

kitili
July 29th, 2008, 02:45 AM
omg... thats um... um.. shiny..

waapwoop1
July 29th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I looked at the whole site, could not work out what Ulitmate Edition actually is

picpak
July 29th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I looked at the whole site, could not work out what Ulitmate Edition actually is

That's why my design has a description of it on it. :)

Kingsley
July 29th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Your improvement looks 10 years better. :)

Wiebelhaus
July 29th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Because many people (myself included) really don't like the design for Ubuntu Ultimate Edition's site:

The second one is so much better in fact , it's replaced the original bookmark , thanks.

Saint Angeles
July 29th, 2008, 07:22 AM
wow... the original site is god awful. what script-kiddy designed that monstrosity?

the newer one is much more functional...

Colro
July 29th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I was just about the post and say that the website looked like something that I flushed down the toilet recently, but then I realized I was looking at the old one and clicked the wrong link. Holy ****, yours is 100% better. Simple, but at least it doesn't make my brain bleed.

DaddyX3
July 29th, 2008, 11:52 PM
wow... the original site is god awful. what script-kiddy designed that monstrosity?

the newer one is much more functional...

Well, I think that the mahn himself did it- If you had any idea on how much work he does for his distributions/ new software writing/ forum help, you would retract your statement. [-( Are you one of those guys that like to sit back and talk trash about others work, even though they are entirely too damn busy to refine its look to suit nit-picky people that have no appreciation for the hard work and great benifit to the community that he has been? Do you do web-design? Are you a graphics artist? Programer? Do you spend countless hours night after night/ week after week/ month after month to benifit the linux community? Please.... do share! I will retract my statement if I am wrong about you, will you do the same for him?

-btw, pickpak- you have done a wonderful job on the mock-up site design! It looks great! The offer that Zero Prime offered, is something that could really be used over at the Ultimate Edition sites/forum. Your a good person and thank you for spending you time on it!=D>=D>=D>

Vadi
July 29th, 2008, 11:58 PM
You win right away.

picpak
July 30th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Well, I think that the mahn himself did it- If you had any idea on how much work he does for his distributions/ new software writing/ forum help, you would retract your statement. [-( Are you one of those guys that like to sit back and talk trash about others work, even though they are entirely too damn busy to refine its look to suit nit-picky people that have no appreciation for the hard work and great benifit to the community that he has been? Do you do web-design? Are you a graphics artist? Programer? Do you spend countless hours night after night/ week after week/ month after month to benifit the linux community? Please.... do share! I will retract my statement if I am wrong about you, will you do the same for him?

-btw, pickpak- you have done a wonderful job on the mock-up site design! It looks great! The offer that Zero Prime offered, is something that could really be used over at the Ultimate Edition sites/forum. Your a good person and thank you for spending you time on it!=D>=D>=D>

This post wins.

I've PMed ZP about the offer, I'm still waiting to hear from the other admins.

steveneddy
July 30th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Much better.

Zero Prime
July 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
This post wins.

I've PMed ZP about the offer, I'm still waiting to hear from the other admins.

Your in dude. Now I need to get TheeMahn to work on you Mod status. We will need you to have access ti the Mod&Admin section of the Ultimate Forums.

mordak13
July 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM
It's much more modern looking. Great job. I've downloaded UE but keep forgetting to try it out.

Saint Angeles
July 30th, 2008, 11:21 AM
dude i meant it as a joke, calm down...

but yes, i'm a professional webmaster for a company based in northern california that is inventing a 100+MPG alcohol-based engine that will destroy the crap out of the otto cycle engine.

we're trying to change the world. does that count?
what do you do?
are you one of those folks that likes to think he's better than everybody else because he types long paragraphs of words he thinks are clever without breaking it up to make it easier to read?
do you like to insult people you've never met just based on two partial sentences written in a web forum asking for our opinions on the design of a website?

do you read minds?

are you a virgin?

sorry if i insulted you, its just hard for me to sound as uninformed as you.

Zero Prime
July 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Gentlemen please, lets try to be civil here.

billgoldberg
July 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Be honest, both themes suck.

They look like they are made by amateurs (well, they are).

DaddyX3
July 30th, 2008, 05:42 PM
------

I'm going to reply to you in a manner that is a little more civilized than my previous post .....

Well, what you are doing for the environment is wonderful - nobody can argue with that. I hope all works out well for you and 'in-turn' the world for that matter. I apologize for insulting you. I get a little sensitive about people bagg'n on others that are a real benefit to the Linux community. Sorry to pick you out of the crowd... I am a **** sometimes. I am very passionate about the Linux movement and I see no positives coming from trash talking about contributers. Once again - apologies for being a ****.

-btw, whats your site that your working on? I'm very interested in what you have posted about. You mind throwing up a link?

cheers

joshdudeha
July 30th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Be honest, both themes suck.

They look like they are made by amateurs (well, they are).

I'm not being nasty, and I know the first site is made by a person that programs software and stuff.. but I agree with the above quote.

The second one, is much better than the first one - it doesn't have the hideous um like shiny, metallic backgrounds.
But, and I don't want to start a flame war or anything.. but it can be muchly improved. ;/

I could start making a mock-up..to try and justify my claim. If you wanted.

TheeMahn2003
July 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM
This site has all but stripped my acct here ;) I was looking for the "original" thread before I even had a forum guess what Ubuntu forums scrapped it. Was the #1 viewed thread in "Community section", trying to make it look like I did not exist? They closed my last thread and I answered (http://forumubuntusoftware.info/).

I now feel bad about Daddy, even the chatterbox he is ;)

Where do we go now?

EDIT: Damn they took my beans too :(

heyyy
July 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM

the 2nd link is broken :(

dhayfule
August 25th, 2010, 09:49 AM
This site has all but stripped my acct here ;) I was looking for the "original" thread before I even had a forum guess what Ubuntu forums scrapped it....

Hey TheMahn

Is ultimateedition.info down?