PDA

View Full Version : Do you use compiz fusion?

MONODA
July 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I dont because I really dont find a need for it. Anyway the graphic driver nvidia provides is too unstable to use a composoting wm. Do you use compiz fusion? Why or why not?

RiceMonster
July 28th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I used it for a bit because it looked cool, then I disabled it a few days later because it got annoying. Now I'm happy with no compositing at all in Openbox.

Sealbhach
July 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I use it because it impresses visitors and gets them thinking about Linux.

MONODA
July 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
yeah openbox is great when I dont need tiling, thats why i go between dwm and openbox.

Tristam Green
July 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I used to, and turn it on occasionally to wow potential Linux users.

smartboyathome
July 28th, 2008, 09:01 PM
No, because all the compositing modules don't work on e17. :(

walkerk
July 28th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I see no need for it. I do however use xcompmgr in Openbox for very minimalistic effects.

Bungo Pony
July 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yes, I use it. I actually find it adds to my productivity. Once you find an actual use for the transparency, it's difficult to live without it. The desktop zoom is also quite useful.

Everytime I use Windows at work, I feel like I'm crippled. I have a hard time living without the point-and-focus, and the point-and-scroll functionality of the mouse.

RiceMonster
July 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Yes, I use it. I actually find it adds to my productivity. Once you find an actual use for the transparency, it's difficult to live without it. The desktop zoom is also quite useful.

Everytime I use Windows at work, I feel like I'm crippled. I have a hard time living without the point-and-focus, and the point-and-scroll functionality of the mouse.

What's an actual use for transparency? I have my terminal transparent, but that's just purely for looks.

Choad
July 28th, 2008, 09:11 PM
yep, because it looks nice and i am growing very accustomed to some of it's features (by far the most useful of which is the scale effect)

FuturePilot
July 28th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Yes, because it's awesome! :guitar:

I have a Nvidia card and I've never had any problems. It's very stable.

kool_kat_os
July 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM
me does...

TBOL3
July 28th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I do, the zoom is vital to those with vision problems. I find the cube and windows to be a helpful organizer. I like to switch between flying windows. And over all, it is a nice looking desktop.

Darkade
July 28th, 2008, 09:18 PM
yep, even tough it is above all eye-candy, I find it adds to productivity. Transparency is really useful in small screens and it doesn't "eat" my system so I don't see a reason not to use compiz

markp1989
July 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I use it as a stand alone WM

see here
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=51282

I know that the how to is for Arch, but it works fine with ubuntu

dizee
July 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
not anymore, it doesn't run as smoothly on hardy for me and i don't really need it.

Bungo Pony
July 28th, 2008, 10:20 PM
What's an actual use for transparency?

If I want to quickly see text on the window underneath the one I'm currently working in, I just move my mouse over to it. I can also continue typing in the active window if I choose. It's not incredibly necessary, but I find it incredibly user-friendly and productive, especially when I'm working with text.

tiachopvutru
July 28th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I enable it mostly just for look. Recently, I have my cousin wanting to try Ubuntu because I showed him the cool things he could do with Compiz-Fusion. I also showed him how beautiful a Linux desktop looks when customized.

Most features in Compiz-Fusion are for look, anyway. However, a few actually provide useful functions.

Exershio
July 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I have it disabled because it doesn't work very smoothly at all with my Radeon 9550

I wish it did work well so I could use it =/

days_of_ruin
July 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM
yes all day every day.My favorite part is wobbly windows.:guitar:

jviscosi
July 28th, 2008, 11:22 PM
No ... I just can't see devoting 15-20% of my (single) CPU to the GUI.

Delever
July 28th, 2008, 11:53 PM
It uses very few cpu cycles (good offloading to gpu), so why not? But I have it heavily configured, all transitions speeded up to almost instant.

jomiolto
July 29th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Nah. Tried it several times (once I even used it for about a week), but there's just something about it that always drives me away from it. I guess I just don't see any need for it, because most of the eye candy and effects are just an annoyance to me in the long run.

The desktop cube thingy is something in particular that I don't think I'll ever understand; sure, it looks cool for about five minutes, but eventually I'll just find the spinning distracting and return to the plain desktop switching without any effects.

Some of the effects (like the fire-writing thing) are great for impressing people, though ;)

mthei
July 29th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Once last year when Ubuntu released the version that had it preinstalled, Feisty or Gutsy. I turned it off and removed compiz because it doesn't really do anything terribly useful.

dizee
July 29th, 2008, 12:41 AM
The desktop cube thingy is something in particular that I don't think I'll ever understand; sure, it looks cool for about five minutes, but eventually I'll just find the spinning distracting and return to the plain desktop switching without any effects.
yeah, when i first installed beryl as it was back then i used the cube, but when it became compiz fusion i found the new expo plugin far more practical.

Choad
July 29th, 2008, 12:50 AM
yeah, when i first installed beryl as it was back then i used the cube, but when it became compiz fusion i found the new expo plugin far more practical.
+1, expo is amazing

scale is invaluable

autoresize (can't remember what it's really called) is pure ocd heaven. YES YOU SHALL ALL LINE UP PERFECTLY!!!

Vorian Grey
July 29th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Yes, I use it all the time. To me, not having it is very boring.

perlluver
July 29th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Used about a week when I first got Ubuntu, since then I have moved to Slackware. I just see no reason to use it now. Uses CPU power, and Video power. If I wasn't attached to the GUI, I would probably ditch KDE too.

jviscosi
July 29th, 2008, 01:34 AM
It uses very few cpu cycles (good offloading to gpu), so why not? But I have it heavily configured, all transitions speeded up to almost instant.

Yeah, before I upgraded my video card Compiz used like 50% of my CPU. Maybe I should just turn off the CPU meter and then I wouldn't notice ...

tel93
July 29th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Yes.

picpak
July 29th, 2008, 01:47 AM
No, my graphics card won't even support it.

steveneddy
July 29th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Compiz is on all the time since i upgraded to Hardy and I really don't notice it much anymore.

It looks funny to turn it off now, though.

poofyhairguy
July 29th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Huge fan of it. After using tons of OSX machines over the past year I need it for scale (or what OSX calls Expose): I can never go back to a taskbar.

Also the wobbly windows is wonderfully therapeutic when I am waiting for a window to load or synaptic to install something (I just wobble till its done).

But honestly my favorite thing about compiz-fuzion (compared to Windows Aero or OSX's Aqua) is that I can turn it off. Just one "metacity --replace" command and I can pull it away for any program that hates composite (like WINE). Then a "compiz --replace" command brings it back. OSX won't run without a compositor- even in VESA mode (which is not that bad as it is better behaved than the other desktops with composite). And to turn it off in Windows Vista I must bring out Win2k classic mode. Bleh.

cardinals_fan
July 29th, 2008, 02:14 AM
I don't use it. Not KISS.

dspari1
July 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I stopped using it after switching to KDE4. I do miss some of the features from compiz fusion though(wobbly windows), but I feel that KDE4 will eventually have them.

w0ng
August 2nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
no.
1) i'm on a laptop and prefer to maximise my battery life
2) i prefer menus/windows/workspaces to instantly load and close rather than waiting a couple of hundred milliseconds for actions to complete

Paqman
August 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Compiz is awesome.

I hate using a non-compositing desktop now. Transparency in particular is just too useful. I use Win2000 machines at work with five screens (my job needs a stupid amount of apps viewable) and would give my right arm to have something as good as Compiz on them.

YaroMan86
August 2nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
I use it. I love eye candy. And I put it to good use. (Check my gallery for various things I've used it for.

MaxIBoy
August 2nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
I use it. For one thing, the effects let my brain connect to what's happening on the screen better. A good example is switching workspaces. If it's instantaneous, my brain sits there dazed and confused until it comes to terms with the sudden change in the windows. It'd be like if all the walls instantly turned into a different color. Whereas with the cube animation, my brain recognizes and can visualize what just happened, like if the walls faded into a different color so you could see it happening.

mips
August 2nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
Only time I ever used it was in Sabayon linux.

I got Arch+KDEmod4.1 now and kwin(?) takes care of the effects now although I also disabled most of those.

PH James
August 2nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
I use it mainly for its useful features like the desktop zoom and using my scroll wheel to switch/drag windows between desktops, though I do have some eye candy on - I figured if I'm already running it may as well get the whole effect.

But overall eye candy isn't of concern for me. If I could get the scroll wheel desktop switching/dragging without it I doubt I'd use it.

rizitis
August 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
i like compiz and i using it, but sometimes i have to close it becouse some aplications dont work...

PurposeOfReason
August 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
I really only use it because emerald is easy to theme and wobbly windows makes moving them feel more fluent. Besides that I keep the animations on things like fade and make the cube simple (quickly switch, don't zoom out, etc.).

Keyper7
August 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
i prefer menus/windows/workspaces to instantly load and close rather than waiting a couple of hundred milliseconds for actions to complete

0.2 seconds is too slow for you? Who are you? Superman? :)

renesilva
August 2nd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Yes, but only in one of my screens, I guess I have the same feelings a linux user would have if he already saw some pointless window effects on a mac.

Dr Small
August 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
No.

keiichidono
August 3rd, 2008, 01:25 AM
I used to but not any more. I found out that it made my anime (usually 720p quality videos) have tearing and the same with flash videos. I watch a lot of anime and want my flash to be clear so I had to disable it. I nearly cried, I miss my Compiz.

Delever
August 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Video tearing. It does not matter if I enable Compiz or not, it always exists. It is annoying with 720p videos, like 15 or so fps. But I see CPU usage no more than 15%, so it's weird to see all that power unused.

Der Alte
August 3rd, 2008, 02:15 AM
I use it and love it, finally a use for my laptop's geforce 8600 graphics card. Also, I think the desktop cube, combined with the 3d windows effect, is a lot more effective than the classic gnome desktop switcher. And playing around with desktop windows with just about every effect activated is a great way to gain someone's interest if an inquiry is made about the OS I'm running, too.

PS, does anyone have the (satirical) poster of the desktop cube with a www.timecube.com - themed description saved?