PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] My Custom PC Take 2

mikedemario17
July 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM
After posting what i wanted i got many responses back of sites to go to and what i should get and also non-money wasting info...(Retial CPUs come with fan/heat sink) who knew?! well heres a list of now what I'm probably going with unless some one says other wise...(im not buying from newegg because there is tax going to NY:( )

Part*
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Socket AM2+ Micro ATX Motherboard, AMD 780G Chipset, Supports AM2+/AM2 CPUs, Dual DDR2 1066, SATA 3Gb/s RAID, ATI CrossFireX
PCU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ Socket AM2 64-bit CPU ADO5000DOBOX, 2.6 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 65nm. Retail Box
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1GB DDR2 1066 (PC2-8500) System Memory, 240-Pin DIMM with LEDs, Unbuffered, Non-ECC, P/N: BL12864AL1065 (fancy lights)
Case:Black/Silver CompuCase Micro ATX Tower Computer Case, w/ 8cm Cooling Fan, Model: 6K28BS8F
Power: Black CoolMax 500W EPS Computer Power Supply M-500B, 20+4 pin, Supports SATA and PCI-E, w/ 120mm Silent Fan and Fan Control
HardDrive: Western Digital Caviar SE SATA 80GB Hard Drives WD800JD, 300 MB/s, 8MB, 7200RPM, OEM

Link*
MotherBoard: http://www.directron.com/gama78gms2h.html
CPU: http://www.directron.com/ado5000dobox.html
Memory: http://www.directron.com/bl12864al1065.html
Case: http://www.directron.com/6k28bs8f.html
Power: http://www.directron.com/m500b.html
HardDrive: http://www.directron.com/wd800jd.html

Post what cords i need to get it running...(ex: sata x2)

mikedemario17
July 28th, 2008, 07:57 PM
My Custom Pc first post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5466633#post5466633

tamoneya
July 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM
i dont see any cables that you need since that motherboard comes with two sata cables. However my two comments are.
1. You dont need that much power. I have a near identical system and I am running it on 350W you have 500W.
2. Do you want to get a DVD/CD drive?

mikedemario17
July 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM
i got 3 PCs here ill just use the ones from my current pc...theres nothing wrong with them... :)

hmmm ill cheek the fan problem...what bout the led memory? doesnt that mean i need more power?

timzak
July 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Personally, I would opt for 2GB of ram. Save a few bucks and don't get the fancy lights, that will help offset the cost of the extra gig (I actually see some 2GB kits that cost the same as the 1GB kit you picked). Ram is cheap, and 2GB will futureproof you for longer than 1GB.

Also, I would get a larger hard drive. 80GB is a waste of money (the cost per GB goes down exponentially as you buy more capacity). You can get 4x the capacity for less than double the price ($40 vs. $75). Later when you start running short on space, you'll kick yourself for not getting more capacity.

Other than that, the components look great.

Do you already have a video card? I don't see one on your list.

tamoneya
July 28th, 2008, 08:33 PM
LED memory???

EDIT: oh your RAM has leds on it. While it does use some power it doesnt mean you need a 500W powersupply. In my very similar rig I had 2 GB of memory and a much faster processor so you should be okay with 350 W as well.

tamoneya
July 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Personally, I would opt for 2GB of ram. Save a few bucks and don't get the fancy lights, that will help offset the cost of the extra gig (I actually see some 2GB kits that cost the same as the 1GB kit you picked). Ram is cheap, and 2GB will futureproof you for longer than 1GB.

Also, I would get a larger hard drive. 80GB is a waste of money (the cost per GB goes down exponentially as you buy more capacity). You can get 4x the capacity for less than double the price ($40 vs. $75). Later when you start running short on space, you'll kick yourself for not getting more capacity.

Other than that, the components look great.

Do you already have a video card? I don't see one on your list.

The motherboard has integrated DVI and VGA.

mikedemario17
July 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
i just chose the ram that was the cheapest that was in stock the two that were the same as the one on the first post was sold out on this site..so i went with the first one in line that fit with my rig...LED lights is just extra goodies that ill have to drill a hole in the door and put some plexie glass...ez fix...my dads got a workshop downstairs...i pimped an xbox one

tamoneya
July 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
okay well even accounting for the lights you have more power than you need. LEDs are very energy efficient and only require fractions of a watt.

mikedemario17
July 28th, 2008, 09:09 PM
can you point me in a direction of a power supply from that site>?

tamoneya
July 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
wow directron is really hard to navigate. I only searched quickly in order to prevent myself from getting too frustrated with their site layout. I found this one:
http://directron.com/atx350pa.html

FSP is a fairly reliable brand when it comes to PSUs and it is a nice price.

BDNiner
July 28th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I would also purchase the Black edition of the AMD processor. it doesn't come with a CPU heat sink and fan, you can buy one for around $20 but it enables you to overclock until the cows come home. I got mine running at 3.2GHz with only the CPU fan and 2 case fans, but i turned in back to normal since i had plans on getting a better heatsink fan, but those plans are on hold for now.

mikedemario17
July 28th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I would also purchase the Black edition of the AMD processor. it doesn't come with a CPU heat sink and fan, you can buy one for around $20 but it enables you to overclock until the cows come home. I got mine running at 3.2GHz with only the CPU fan and 2 case fans, but i turned in back to normal since i had plans on getting a better heatsink fan, but those plans are on hold for now.
all i do it you tube and lime wire and now I'm doing halo pc....but i wont be overclocking it...and i want to get one with the fan and stuff so theres no chance of a wrong purchase

mikedemario17
July 28th, 2008, 09:23 PM
all i do it you tube and lime wire and now I'm doing halo pc....but i wont be overclocking it...and i want to get one with the fan and stuff so theres no chance of a wrong purchase
and watching movies for free of coarce

timzak
July 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
The motherboard has integrated DVI and VGA.

Ah...I've never used integrated video in any of my personal rigs, so I never pay attention to what video might come on a motherboard.

I still think he needs a bigger hard drive. Look at it this way:

80GB for $40
240GB more for $35 more.

mikedemario17
July 28th, 2008, 09:40 PM
im useing 30GB on my linux now and the biggest one i ever had is 40GB i dont use that much room... i got the 120GB xbox and still have 90GB left..

mikedemario17
July 28th, 2008, 09:42 PM
its a HighDeff radeon ...very nice compared to what i have now...

kitili
July 29th, 2008, 02:53 AM
looks like you could use more ram, each 1GHz should have about 1GB of ram backing it, just my rule of thumb.

and you'll probably want a bigger HDD, 80gb will run out fast.

wrtpeeps
July 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM
1. You dont need that much power. I have a near identical system and I am running it on 350W you have 500W.

Bad advice.

You should get the best power supply you can afford. Skimping on the PSU WILL cause you problems eventually.

Not to mention it is one of the components you can keep for ages.

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Bad advice.

You should get the best power supply you can afford. Skimping on the PSU WILL cause you problems eventually.

Not to mention it is one of the components you can keep for ages.

I never said to skimp on parts. I said that you dont need all that power. When you use a power supply farther from its peak efficiency (about 80% of its max) you end up wasting power and generating more heat (the wasted power turns into heat). Therefore you want to make sure you select the power supply in the correct range.

FSP is a reputable power supply brand and it is not a "cheap off brand". Power rating does not equal quality.

wrtpeeps
July 29th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I never said to skimp on parts. I said that you dont need all that power. When you use a power supply farther from its peak efficiency (about 80% of its max) you end up wasting power and generating more heat (the wasted power turns into heat). Therefore you want to make sure you select the power supply in the correct range.

FSP is a reputable power supply brand and it is not a "cheap off brand". Power rating does not equal quality.

Telling him to buy a lower wattage PSU is skimping.

More watts, more expensive = good.

Unless he wants to have to change it the next time he buys a new part. :lolflag:

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I'M 16 as we all know... well getting this PC would come by mowing lawns and doing minimal chores but if i get a job...then ill def. get a super pc... and build it i would say about $500....coz come on people ...i need a car too... so ill have a new post up soon just like this one that has all the stuff i ever wanted....so post suggestions of the best crazy light-up stuff...

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 03:24 AM

Unless he wants to have to change it the next time he buys a new part. :lolflag:
yeah idk about you but i would go with what ever tamoneya says coz it for one makes sence...and two he has helped me on half my post...just saying..yeah

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 03:25 AM
yeah idk about you but i would go with what ever tamoneya says coz it for one makes sence...and two he has helped me on half my post...just saying..yeah
im not being mean or anything...

wrtpeeps
July 29th, 2008, 03:29 AM
im not being mean or anything...

Hey it's a forum, you don't need to apologise for disagreeing with someone. :)

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 03:30 AM
lol alright...im neeeew here

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I'M 16 as we all know... well getting this PC would come by mowing lawns and doing minimal chores but if i get a job...then ill def. get a super pc... and build it i would say about $500....coz come on people ...i need a car too... so ill have a new post up soon just like this one that has all the stuff i ever wanted....so post suggestions of the best crazy light-up stuff...
lets see some super pc ideas... :)

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 03:43 AM
i need to get a mouse and keyboard, but i got no extra money but i have a mini case upstairs that might work with my board... ill post a pic..

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7397/casehv3.th.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=casehv3.jpg)

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 03:50 AM

You can never just buy something based on its price. More expensive does not equal good. Yes you get what you pay for but in the case of the 500 W power supply you are paying for 150 W that you will never use. The smaller power supply has similar quality components but rated for smaller wattage. Another way to think about it is quality does not equal quantity. You are confusing the quantity of watts with the quality of the power supply.

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 03:52 AM
is there a noise difernce? coz i want it to be quite

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 03:52 AM
i need to get a mouse and keyboard, but i got no extra money but i have a mini case upstairs that might work with my board... ill post a pic..

that is a micro atx case. The way i could tell quickly was buy the number of expansion slots. Larger ATX cases have up to 7 while micro atx has up to 4. Your motherboard is also micro atx so if you want you can use that case.

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 03:53 AM
is there a noise difernce? coz i want it to be quite

noise difference between what and what?

wrtpeeps
July 29th, 2008, 03:58 AM
You can never just buy something based on its price. More expensive does not equal good. Yes you get what you pay for but in the case of the 500 W power supply you are paying for 150 W that you will never use. The smaller power supply has similar quality components but rated for smaller wattage. Another way to think about it is quality does not equal quantity. You are confusing the quantity of watts with the quality of the power supply.

Yea, but you seem to think that a 350w will use less power than a 500w.

If his computer takes say, 300w of power to run, both power supplies will use the same electricity.

The different is that if pushed, the 500w will survive alright whereas the 350w will either fail, burst into flames or just cause the pc to die completely.

He could run a 1kw psu and a 200w psu and it would cost him the same amount to run.

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 04:00 AM
noise difference between what and what?
the pcu..

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Yea, but you seem to think that a 350w will use less power than a 500w.

If his computer takes say, 300w of power to run, both power supplies will use the same electricity.

The different is that if pushed, the 500w will survive alright whereas the 350w will either fail, burst into flames or just cause the pc to die completely.

He could run a 1kw psu and a 200w psu and it would cost him the same amount to run.

No it wouldnt. the 350 W PSU will be closer to peak efficiency (~80%). While the power draw of the computer components is the same the 350 W will be more efficient than the 500 W. This will cause the "power at the plug" wattage to be lower. Then think about where this difference in power is going. This power is turned into heat which is dumped into the case.

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 04:01 AM
that is a micro atx case. The way i could tell quickly was buy the number of expansion slots. Larger ATX cases have up to 7 while micro atx has up to 4. Your motherboard is also micro atx so if you want you can use that case.
alright.... i like that case coz its smaller

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 04:04 AM
the pcu..

do you mean psu? if so i would say the 500 W will be quieter because it has a larger fan. because it is larger it requires less speed in order to move the same amount of air. fan noise is more or less proportional to speed so as a general rule of thumb when you have two identical components with different sized fans the one with the large fan will be quieter.

wrtpeeps
July 29th, 2008, 04:09 AM
No it wouldnt. the 350 W PSU will be closer to peak efficiency (~80%). While the power draw of the computer components is the same the 350 W will be more efficient than the 500 W. This will cause the "power at the plug" wattage to be lower. Then think about where this difference in power is going. This power is turned into heat which is dumped into the case.

If you use 350w, the 350w psu will be basically unstable. The 500w will use *around about* the same as the 350w, with the difference being it won't be unstable and that it won't be made from cheap parts.

The 350w running full tilt will produce WAY more heat than the 500w which will be working way off it's own rating.

And it seems you plucked this "peak efficiency" number out of thin air.

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 04:14 AM
well ill probly go with the 500 then just coz its quiter and when i get a job and i can afford a super PC then ill just use the 500W in the new pc...

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 04:20 AM
If you use 350w, the 350w psu will be basically unstable. The 500w will use *around about* the same as the 350w, with the difference being it won't be unstable and that it won't be made from cheap parts.

The 350w running full tilt will produce WAY more heat than the 500w which will be working way off it's own rating.

And it seems you plucked this "peak efficiency" number out of thin air.

If the system used 350 W then that would be true but it doesnt. It uses around 300W. I have a similar system I would know. As for the 80% number I did not pull it out of the air. SPCR has done a lot of research on the topic. I appear to have slightly misplaced the number in my head. They say peak efficiency is about 75% of full load. Take a look at this comprehensive guide they have: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 04:23 AM
do i need to get stand-off nuts for my mobo?

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 04:25 AM
the should be included in the case.

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 04:33 AM
okay, what r some other small things that i would need like that...i found out of them because of youtube video of how to install the mobo...see thats why i need people that tell me how to build a pc.. coz i would have gne wrong with out all this help

Th3Professor
July 29th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Just throwing in a little comment here, didn't read through all the pages, so you may have already resolved what you're doing with RAM. If not, or for future consideration...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104001

I believe you said you're avoiding newegg. If that's the case you can probably get the same deal somewhere else, or close to it at least.

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 04:36 AM
i think if you order all those parts from directron you should be all set. Other general things you should have are:
- Screw driver
- a flash drive incase you need to transfer drivers.
- some time so that you dont rush

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 04:43 AM
i think if you order all those parts from directron you should be all set. Other general things you should have are:
- Screw driver
- a flash drive incase you need to transfer drivers.
- some time so that you dont rush
-Screw driver--> check
-a flash drive in case you need to transfer drivers.-->ill use my broken screen and turn wheel ipod, check

-some time so that you don't rush--> between soccer games/ practice check

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Just throwing in a little comment here, didn't read through all the pages, so you may have already resolved what you're doing with RAM. If not, or for future consideration...

I believe you said you're avoiding newegg. If that's the case you can probably get the same deal somewhere else, or close to it at least.
that will deff go into the super pc..when i get a job...thats quite a deal from what i under stand.. good work

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 04:47 AM

I just ordered 16GB worth of that stuff for work. I think i will be ordering some more for a friend as well. Its great stuff.

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 04:49 AM
+1 for you...good work like i said b4...

Th3Professor
July 29th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Yep, it's pretty good, great brand too.

Here's the basic info in case someone doesn't want to click on the link... :D

"Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail (limit 100 per customer)"

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Yep, it's pretty good, great brand too.

Here's the basic info in case someone doesn't want to click on the link... :D

"Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail (limit 100 per customer)"
$999.99.....really? who would buy 100 ...lol

Th3Professor
July 29th, 2008, 05:00 AM
(or was it $9,999?)

...ten grand in ram... yeah that's a lot. ;)

tamoneya
July 29th, 2008, 05:06 AM
$999.99.....really? who would buy 100 ...lol

If you ran a company that built computers for people you would think of that as a very small amount.

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 05:09 AM
If you ran a company that built computers for people you would think of that as a very small amount.
thats true...i meant like customer not business .....they probly get a big @ss dis-count coz there going to buy like 4000000

zekopeko
July 29th, 2008, 06:19 AM
what's your budget limit?

also get a quality power supply. don't skimp on it or it's gonna bite you in the *** later. and you are probably gonna expand that baby once you get more cash so get more power while your at it. you can always get another stick of RAM do cram inside but you have to replace the whole power supply to expand the wattage. get my drift :D ?
go with 2GB if you have the cash.
also microATX is sexy in a nice case. a friend of mine built his microATX pc for around 250$ and it's far pricere here to build a pc then in the US.

mikedemario17
July 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
what's your budget limit?

also get a quality power supply. don't skimp on it or it's gonna bite you in the *** later. and you are probably gonna expand that baby once you get more cash so get more power while your at it. you can always get another stick of RAM do cram inside but you have to replace the whole power supply to expand the wattage. get my drift :D ?
go with 2GB if you have the cash.
also microATX is sexy in a nice case. a friend of mine built his microATX pc for around 250$ and it's far pricere here to build a pc then in the US.
my money limit is $300...and yeah im going with the 500W and ill get another LED RAM of 1 gb when i get the money...i got like $0 (cell phone bill :( got me..) but idt it will be soon unless i get my job..then i would get a super one..