PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Media Player (applications)

Alien260
July 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Hello,

I have been using ubuntu for the past year or so but its always been my secondary OS but i decided to make it my main OS. I seem to have only one problem. I cant seem to find a decent media player something similar to Winamp would be amazing.

Songbird isnt good at all.
Most of the other player dont support library playback.

Another program im looking for is something where i can so some music editing?

Any idea will help
Thanks guys for the help!

wolfen69
July 28th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Amarok is my personal favorite. alot of options like fetching album art and lyrics, streaming music, organising your collection, etc.

t0p
July 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I use a variety of apps for media playback: rhythmbox for mp3s, vlc for DVDs and other video files, and totem for pretty much everything else. With the codecs in ubuntu-restricted-extras and the DVD stuff from medibuntu, these apps serve me well.

OutOfReach
July 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Banshee (http://banshee-project.org/) is good, you should take a look into it, and for music editing I would say Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) its a very good audio editor Audacity is available in the repositories so is an older version of Banshee, if you want the newer version, follow the instructions on the banshee website.

diwas
July 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Rhythmbox is good...it uses very less resource and performance is great. Suports library and supports mp3 players and iPOD too i guess...coz i dont have one. Anyways its the best.
The only thing, however which it doesnt have is graphical EQ. But its okay now.

Y dont u try installing Winamp through WINE?

Cheers!!

sketching
July 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
For audio I am using WINE to allow me to keep using foobar2000 (best audio player for Windows, hands down) for all audio file playback. For video file playback so far, I've had no problems using Totem. If I ever do have any problems, I also have VLC ready to use.

Alien260
July 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the quick response guys, but which one out of all of them supports gapless playback or something that at least mimics that?

Thanks again
Alien!

diwas
July 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM
gapless playback?? wat do u mean by that?

djxcon
July 29th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I assume that Alien260 is looking for something that plays tracks continuously without that 2 second silence between tracks (where one track ends and the next track begins). I could be mistaken but I think Amarok does this and also has a track overlap feature (If I were home, I would test this).

For music editing, I would say it depends on what you are trying to do. If you are looking to edit sound files, Audacity is pretty solid. If you are looking for a multitrack studio, Ardour is simply amazing. If you are looking for music production...well there are lots of programs. To name a few: LMMS, Hydrogen, tons of synth programs. Of course many of these programs require Jack to run.

rossjman1
July 29th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Amarok is the best media player for Linux, and seems to have all the features you want (and more). It also has a minimal mode, and that makes it look somewhat like WinAmp. If you want a WinAmp clone, try the no longer updated XMMS or BMP.

Sinkingships7
July 29th, 2008, 08:45 PM
If you're looking for an almost PERFECT WinAmp replica, then you're looking for Audacious. Install it by typing
sudo aptitude install audaciousand start it by going to Applications -> Sound & Video -> Audacious.

I'm pretty positive you'll be impressed with it. It even supports gapless playback.

rburkartjo
July 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM
alien you might want to try exaile it can be found in the applications/add-remove. just type in exaile music player in the search box and install/cheesemaker

Alien260
July 29th, 2008, 11:20 PM
yes by gapless i mean without gaps in the music, hence no 2 second delay. I have been using rhythmbox and its very fast and good but i really cant stand waiting 2 seconds to get into the next track..

Thanks for all the help guys
Alien

northern lights
July 29th, 2008, 11:26 PM
www.pcworld.com/linux_audio_players_tested_and_graded (http://www.pcworld.com/article/128636/linux_audio_players_tested_and_graded.html)

tiachopvutru
July 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM
For audio player, either Exaile or Amarok. For video player, smplayer definitely.

djxcon
July 30th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I have had some time to do some testing and it seems that Amarok handles continuous playback the best (tested Amarok, Rhythmbox, Audacious, MPlayer). There is even an option to set how long of a gap you would like between tracks. In your case 0 ms is what you are looking for.

diwas
July 30th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Oh i must say im a fan of gapless music too. Rhythmbox is best...it supports it too...