PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 won't boot from HDD

lynnstony
July 28th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Howdy,

I am finishing the build of my latest personal PC, with swappable drives for my RAID 1 (Windows XP) and third drive, which I wanted to use for different OSes. I have installed Vista to one drive, then over the weekend bought a fourth drive (36GB Raptor) to use for Ubuntu install. It is running off a SATA interface set to "Standard IDE". First time I used it it was raw, no formatting whatsoever. Ubuntu sees the disk pre-install.

I go through the install fine, Ubuntu sees the drive and I have tried virtually every partitioning configuration, all lead to the same thing: when I get to the end of the installation, when the installer prompts me to "remove the CD and reboot", I do so, pointing my BIOS boot pop-up to the Ubuntu drive, and always get the same message:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected drive and press a key"

At first I though it might have been a SATA driver issue, but I installed Win2K to the drive last night, without drivers, and it installed to the disk just fine. Remember there are no other drives in the machine during Ubuntu load; I remove all drives except the target drive to reduce the chances of an OMG.

I also let Ubuntu verify the CD, no problems. I've worked with Mandrake 9.0 a little but am basically Linux-illiterate, that's why I want to install...to learn.

Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong will be greatly appreciated.

Tony