PDA

View Full Version : Simple C question

blooddrunk
July 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Is there a command in C which checks for an Internet connection?

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Pinging google is one of the best ways to check.

C doesn't have "commands". It has keywords, and no keyword for that. And it has standard functions (and macros) and there isn't an Ansi C function for that.

lordhaworth
July 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to check for an internet connection in C? I'd be quite interested to hear the application in mind

blooddrunk
July 28th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Pinging google is one of the best ways to check.

C doesn't have "commands". It has keywords, and no keyword for that. And it has standard functions (and macros) and there isn't an Ansi C function for that.

Yeah, I thought about the ping, but the problem is that you have to do it with system(). Unfortunately, system() somehow always returns 0 and I am interested in the return value of ping in order to find out whether there is a connection or not

lordhaworth
July 28th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Not sure how well this work (i.e. i havnt tested it) but heres a link, it seems by the end this guy has achieved what you want to do.

http://cboard.cprogramming.com/archive/index.php/t-41635.html

blooddrunk
July 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Well, it says that it's a ping imitation program. I don't know, there has to be an easier way.

lordhaworth
July 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
If there are people building elaborate programs to imitate ping i doubt there are any built in or easily designed ways of doing it. I'd recommend finding (possibly a better) ping imitator, it should do the same thing, and then referencing to that in your program (i.e. use it as a module or subroutine).
All you should have to do is copy and paste it and then referr to it - a reliable imitator should get you the same results

nvteighen
July 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I've found a library for C and C++ that enables you to use the ICMP protocol. It's even in the repos!

(EDIT: Ah, it's licensed under GPL not LGPL, so your application will have to be GPL'ed too if you are going to publish an application using this library...)

sudo apt-get install liboping0-dev

(Website: http://verplant.org/liboping/).

lordhaworth
July 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
lol ok so maybe there is an easier way, this is pretty cool if it works, i never knew about that

nvteighen
July 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM
lol ok so maybe there is an easier way, this is pretty cool if it works, i never knew about that
Neither I... just curious and went to Google (and Synaptic).

It's not about "easier", but "saner". If your application will be pinging just to perform a connection check to afterwards do something else, then why bother to reimplement the whole thing?? Any reimplementation will have to conform to the ICMP specs! (or it won't be a ping).

But, of you're creating an application just to check your internet connection, maybe a shell script would be more appropiated?

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 04:03 PM
It's not about "easier", but "saner". If your application will be pinging just to perform a connection check to afterwards do something else, then why bother to reimplement the whole thing?? Any reimplementation will have to conform to the ICMP specs! (or it won't be a ping).

Actually, I don't think a ping is probably needed. If this app relies on an internet connection, it will soon be obvious if one exists (like a web browser, it doesn't give errors until they happen)

Felson
July 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Why not just try and open a remote socket on port 80 to a known location? If the socket fails, you have no internet...

LaRoza
July 28th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Why not just try and open a remote socket on port 80 to a known location? If the socket fails, you have no internet...

Gee. I wish I thought of that...

slavik
July 29th, 2008, 12:56 AM
or to the location you need to be able to connect to. :)

if you are looking for a network connection, you probably need to connect to someone, and if you don't, why check for a network connection?

blooddrunk
July 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Thank you, Felson. Worked like a charm

Felson
July 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
@LaRoza
LOL Sorry. Just reread your answer, and realize that you said about the same thing I did. I somehow miss read it the last time.

LaRoza
July 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM
@LaRoza
LOL Sorry. Just reread your answer, and realize that you said about the same thing I did. I somehow miss read it the last time.

That alright. Slavik just reworded my other suggestion also (if you are using the network, you don't need to check for it before hand)

sq377
July 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM
This is how I've always done it. I just resolve the domain, and assume internet works if that does. It's a really quick and simple check.

#include <netdb.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
if( gethostbyname("www.google.com") != NULL )
{
printf("Internet works\n");
}
else
{
printf("Internet doesn't work\n");
}

return 0;
}

Felson
July 29th, 2008, 08:57 PM
That works depending on your purpose. If you are writing an app to tell you when and what is wrong with your internet, that is awesome for finding out if your DNS is down, but doesn't tell you if you are totally off line.