PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Firefox 3 Smart location, over time a CPU hog?

loell
July 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I've been noticing this that over time Firefox's smart location could cause application to momentarily freeze most probably because of long list its trying to match that's been building up since i started using it.

do you also notice this behavior?

doriangray
July 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I only notice this right after I start Firefox, presumably because it is loading the data on demand the first time I enter something into the address bar. Sometimes, it's also a bit laggy the second on third time, but after that, there is no noticeable delay.

Nicola Bernardini
July 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM
When the new Firefox 3 starts, one of the two CPUs I have on my laptop are constantly kept at 100% usage for hours. I am using hardy, Firefox 3.0.1+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.3, java plugin, shockwave plugin, firebug add on, del.icio.us 1.2 add on. On top of this, it hogs the memory up to a good 550 Mbytes (over 1 Gbyte of RAM total) and stays there. I usually use 8 tabs of plain content.

Korrode
July 29th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I also have experienced Firefox 3 freezing up for a few seconds after lengthy usage.

I'm not really sure why it happens or what specifically it's related to, but i know it happens :-k

loell
July 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
i thought i might add the symptoms of what i'm referring to,

when i mistype a url and smart location kicks in, sometimes it can take up to three seconds lag before i can do a backspace or type any key to the location bar.