PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mounting FTP correctly

JeppeM
July 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Hey all...

I'm a webmaster, and i use ftp on a daily basis, so getting this fixed would really help me a lot. I once read a tutorial on how to mount FTP, but that was a long time ago, and since then i totally forgot what i did (great, eh?). But anyway, when i boot my computer, i have the mounted FTP as a folder in my Places menu, but when i open a file from there using gedit, change it and then want to save it again, it first says that it cannot make a backup file, and then it says that it cant save the file cause it doesn't exists. All i end up with is a 0 byte file on the server, as if it totally wiped the file :(

So what i need help with is the following:

1) where could i have placed the command to mount the FTP at startup?
- I checked /etc/fstab, and there's nothing there.

2) How can i mount it correctly, such that it behaves like you would expect from a normal "drive" (ie, save correctly with gedit)?

Cypher
July 28th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Mount FTP? Are you certain your remembering correctly? FTP, which literally stands for File Transfer Protocol, is a scheme of transefering a file from one machine to another either through the command line or through a GUI-driven program..but this is usually not a persistent connection.

Protocols such as NFS/Samba allow you mount partitions from other machines locally and use them as a local filesystem.

stevoo
July 28th, 2008, 01:33 PM
most probably youll need to run a script, create one and make it run on login to open the terminal and connect dirrectly to the ftp that you want.

No way to mount an ftp other than that.

Bachstelze
July 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
No way to mount an ftp other than that.

http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/

mia.king
December 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
In Ubuntu 8.10 use
Places - Connect to server...

If it works (doesn't for the site I want to use) is the easiest.