PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP Photosmart 7260 problem

spacegypsy
July 28th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hi;

I've a photosmart 7260 printer who was auto detected by Hardy, the printing work just fine.
After a restart the printer did not work anymore; I got a message in the text balloon; printing error "media-jam" which changed in "other" after a few minutes.

So I tried the solution in this thread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=835872&highlight=printing+hardy with the same results.

The only solution I found is that when the error message appears. To stop the queued documents in the printing menu, unplug the power of my printer, replug it and start the printing procedure over.

any ideas?

thanks

cpo2812
July 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem as described by spacegypsy.
I'm using the HPLIP and I posted my problem on HPLIP Launchpad
(https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/38687).

Probably the newest version of HPLIP will fix this problem,
but I didn't try it out yet.

So if anyone has an idea how to fix this problem let me know how...

oldsoundguy
July 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
First off, am using 7.10 .. have 4 HP printers residing on my network of 3 Gutsy boxes and two XP boxes. NO print problems, whatsoever.
Try un pluging the printer and then UN INSTALLING the HP utilities. Then plug it back in and re install your utilities. It MAY work as sometimes the handshake with the chip in the printer goes awry. Make sure your cups driver is installed correctly also.
It does sound like a utilities issue with a bogus "paper jam" message.

gjoellee
July 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
isntall the latest HPLIP version: http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/install/index.html

spacegypsy
July 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks for replies.

When extracting hplip-2.8.6b.run as non root I get the following message;

guy@guy-desktop:~$ sh hplip-2.8.6b.run
Creating directory hplip-2.8.6b
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 2.8.6b Self Extracting Archive........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............Extraction failed.
Complété

So I tried with sudo and then I got;

guy@guy-desktop:~$ sudo sh hplip-2.8.6b.run
[sudo] password for guy:
Creating directory hplip-2.8.6b
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 2.8.6b Self Extracting Archive........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................
warning: hplip-install should not be run as root.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 2.8.6b)
HPLIP Installer ver. 3.3

Copyright (c) 2001-8 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Installer log saved in: hplip-install_Wed-30-Jul-2008_20:50:22.log

|error: You are running the installer as root. It is highly recommended that you run the installer as
error: a regular (non-root) user. Do you still wish to continue?
Continue with installation (y=yes, n=no*, q=quit) ? q

Should I continue the installation and ignore the warning?

I forgot to start extraction from directory.........](*,)](*,)](*,)

cpo2812
July 31st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Thank you for your replies.

I've installed the newest version of hplip (2.8.7). I'll try it out and report if this will fix the problem.

Best regards

cpo2812
July 31st, 2008, 07:52 PM
The update will not fix the problem. My printer still hangs up...

spacegypsy
August 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
It seems doing it for me.

strange..

spacegypsy
August 1st, 2008, 08:26 PM
2.8.7 ??

Mine is hplip-2.8.6b

myspacejmagenst
October 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I have the same problem with hp photosmart 7260. It's giving me a "media jam" error message when I try printing a document on OpenOffice.Agreeing again with the first post, I have to cancel print job, disconnect the power from the printer and reconnect (how archaic). What is currently installed is hplip 2.8.2. to avail. My search has come up short as I still don't have a functioning printer. My current solution: I'm using WinXP through VirtualBox.

jrb114
November 9th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Hi there,

Just to add a me too, to this post.

I've reported this as a bug. And to those who need to print out work to deadlines, this is a showstopper.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/296077

J

pedrogfrancisco
February 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM
See workaround at: https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/98527