PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iTunes

limkopi
July 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
can anyone tell me if itunes work in ubuntu if it does,how do you install it?

Rolcol
July 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Apple doesn't make a linux version of iTunes. Rhythmbox has support for iPods (not iPod Touch or iPhone).

eightmillion
July 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM
As far as I know you can't install itunes on linux. You might try the program amarok.

Frenske
July 28th, 2008, 08:02 AM
You could use wine to run iTunes in Linux. However I would not be bothered since there a good alternatives: Amarok, Rythmbox and perhaps you should have a look at Songbird. Songbird can have different skins and you can make it look like iTunes. Most programs sync with iPods.

cpetercarter
July 28th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Amarok, Rhythmbox, Songbird - the trouble with all of these is that they cannot play any DRM-protected tracks which you may already have and (obviously) you cannot use them to access the iTunes music store to buy new stuff. If either of these things is vital to you, you need to have continued access to iTunes on a Windows machine or a Mac. Although some folk report that they have managed to get iTunes working in Linux with Wine, I don'tthink it works for most people.

Q121
July 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Hi there

I am new to the whole Linux thing, and i see that you cannot install iTunes. I am not a die hard iTunes fan, and would have bought a mac if i was, but i need iTunes to get music ect onto my iPod. Do the above mentioned products (amarok and rythmbox) allow you to synchronize to your iPod???

Any help will be appreciated

richaoj
July 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM
there are many different options to do what you want. check out:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod

ktrnka
July 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Q121:
Amarok has a plugin to allow the syncing of an ipod. You could alternatively use gtkpod.

rcdeacon
July 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Floola also works and DOES NOT alter the database in any way. You can use Floola and then go back to xp and use itunes with no negative effects. Just do a search for floola, download the zip file, extract (extract here) and run. It is a player and music manager. Just installed it last week and it seems to work well. I have used Amarok before but if you go back to xp itunes will not work with your ipod anymore. At least it wouldn't with me. Just my contribution to the thread.

gjoellee
July 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I am using Amarok...it is really good however now Ubuntu just now detect my ipod...

kahlil88
July 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM
iTunes can run on Wine, but it doesn't actually work. It's a terrible program anyway, and I would recommend Banshee (http://banshee-project.org/) or Exaile (http://www.exaile.org/) any day (Amarok (http://amarok.kde.org/) if you use KDE).

waspbr
July 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I am really pleased with songbird 0.6.1, it looks great, haven't found a glitch yet and it supports ipods.

So if you are looking for itunes substitutes, songbird is a great choice.

dark_harmonics
July 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM
+1 for songbird I use it on 3 computers with my ipod 2nd gen nano and 3rd gen video nano

barbedsaber
July 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM
If you want iPod support, take your pick of music programs (rhythmbox looks like itunes) They will all sync with all iPods (except touch, and iPhone) If you are looking for a place to download paid music, try www.magnatune.com (I am sure there are many others that man or may not be better, but that is the only one I know of) if you don't want to pay for music (like me) you might want to give www.jamendo.com a go, (free creative commons music :D)
Running iTunes in WINE is a painful experience, it may have improved since I tried it, but it still gives me nightmares, too painful to talk about.

also, If you have an iPod, you might (but not neceserily) want to check out http://www.rockbox.org/ , It allows you to replace the default apple firmware on your iPod, with an open source alternative, which has heaps of other cool apps, and allows you to play ogg vorbis files (YAY)

davbren
July 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Can you put songbird in the taskbar yet? its really annoying not being able to do that...

DarinB
July 28th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I use rhythmbox and gtk pod for renaming playlists.

i added libraries and can play any aac mp3 m4a etc.

Frenske
July 29th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Can you put songbird in the taskbar yet? its really annoying not being able to do that...

Not sure, but you can minimize the program to a little window showing the title and basic operations (next song etc). I think it stays on top of other windows. Not sure since I am at different computer using centOS.

davbren
July 29th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Not sure, but you can minimize the program to a little window showing the title and basic operations (next song etc). I think it stays on top of other windows. Not sure since I am at different computer using centOS.

Yh I know you can have the mini player, I'm really enthusiatic about songbird however the lack of taskbar-ability is stopping me from using it. I like my desktop to be clean...

LowSky
July 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
if you get songbird from getdeb i think it comes with icons for the menu. I think... NOT SURE

Sinkingships7
July 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Yes. There's a plug-in for that.

I believe this is it. (http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/1)

DGortze380
July 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Amarok, Rhythmbox, Songbird - the trouble with all of these is that they cannot play any DRM-protected tracks which you may already have and (obviously) you cannot use them to access the iTunes music store to buy new stuff. If either of these things is vital to you, you need to have continued access to iTunes on a Windows machine or a Mac. Although some folk report that they have managed to get iTunes working in Linux with Wine, I don'tthink it works for most people.

there are way around DRM, can't post them here though. google it.