PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust...

xequence
November 7th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Ok, I have had two MP3 players mess up in a year. (Accually, a bit more then a year... I got the first one october 29th 2004). Anyway, I am taking the stupid sony one back to futureshop. Things just arnt built to last... I am going to do alot of research because I am not going to be naive and let the lying futureshop dude tell me stuff. (Like that 48Kbps ATRAC3PLUS was really good quality. I cant believe I beleived them...)

What company makes high quality MP3 players? What would you recomend? Preferably if they work with linux, but not a must. Around the 200-250$ range (canadian).

I know there are other similar threads, like "Portable Music Player of Choice?" but I am looking for recomendations, not what you use :P

Malphas
November 7th, 2005, 09:37 PM
iAudio X5.

xequence
November 7th, 2005, 09:52 PM
iAudio X5.

Thats 250$ american, on internet sites. It will be more in canadian dollars, and I cant buy from internet sites (I wouldent anyway...) because I am taking my mp3 player back to futureshop and I can only get a new one from there... Though it does look really cool. Id be able to watch movies on it. (Even though it says you have to convert them to their special format...)

stimpack
November 7th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Samsungs YP-T7 range are nice for flash memory, though capacity may seem a little lacking now. ogg/mp3/etc, color lcd screen, really small, apears as a USB storage device so dont need any software and works in linux.

xequence
November 7th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Samsungs YP-T7 range are nice for flash memory, though capacity may seem a little lacking now. ogg/mp3/etc, color lcd screen, really small, apears as a USB storage device so dont need any software and works in linux.

I must say, it looks good =)

Line in recording = AWESOME ;)

raublekick
November 7th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I love my Creative Zen. You can easily find one with decent storage in your price range. It doesn't play anything but mp3 and wma though, which suits me because I hate ogg.

ThirdWorld
November 8th, 2005, 12:04 AM
mmm what about the Ipod nano? i think it cost US $179 with the student discount. i dont know if it works in linux, i heard somewhere that the latest version of Amarok works with the Ipod, but never tried it.

egon spengler
November 8th, 2005, 12:51 AM
I've been contemplating getting this archos (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009XDE4M/qid=1131407192/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-2492835-1929435/) player.

Works as an external drive so no softwre needed, supposedly it's got better playlist support than most other players and in the £150 price range (no idea what that's like in Canadian) the competition has at best 1/4 of the storage (20 gigs)

One downside is no ogg support, dunno how much you care about that

Franko30
December 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Hi,

the German LinuxUser magazine tested Linux compatible OGG (and MP3) players.

I've written a longer description in this thread:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=572697#post572697

Recommendations: Cowon iAudio X5 and M5 (also support FLAC and have a decent sound quality).

I won't recommend the Archos AV400 with 100 GB harddisc (I own it). It can only be mounted read-only in Ubuntu no matter what. More details (and problems) in the thread mentioned above).

Cheers

Franko30

Brunellus
December 14th, 2005, 02:13 PM
iRiver H340....now sadly discontinued. I just figured out how to get video working on mine (howto forthcoming, probably on GWOS).

Don't buy an iPod. Support hardware that supports Linux and Free codecs.

Rinzwind
December 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Go iRiver. They take Linux more serious than the others.

- It supports OGG.
- driver support under Ubuntu and with a GnomeGUI.

There are no MP3s on my machine :)

Brunellus
December 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM

- It supports OGG.

There are no MP3s on my machine :)
I'm beginning to doubt iRiver's support for Linux and ogg these days. Their last "unrestricted" media player was the H300 series. Most of iRiver's marketing seems to be focusing on the H10 series, which, though it boasts a slicker UI than the H300, does not support ogg. I have also not seen or heard anything from them about forthcoming hard-drive based ogg players.

Looking forward, I'm beginning to think that my next player will be a Cowon iAudio...

teaker1s
December 14th, 2005, 02:28 PM
samsung works great plug in that's it

Rinzwind
December 14th, 2005, 02:39 PM
I'm beginning to doubt iRiver's support for Linux and ogg these days. Their last "unrestricted" media player was the H300 series. Most of iRiver's marketing seems to be focusing on the H10 series, which, though it boasts a slicker UI than the H300, does not support ogg. I have also not seen or heard anything from them about forthcoming hard-drive based ogg players.

Looking forward, I'm beginning to think that my next player will be a Cowon iAudio...

Yeah, I saw that too and don't understand it either. But I did you see the U10 and the T30? Both work with Linux O+

Franko30
December 14th, 2005, 05:40 PM

- It supports OGG.

Well, as long as you don't buy an iRiver that has the Microsoft 'playsforsure' label, newer iRivers might work in Ubuntu, but if they have the label they surely might cause problems.

Miguel
December 14th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Hi guys,

This ogg thing is really getting to my nerves. I mean, all the CD's I have ripped in my laptop are ogg (trust me, 5Gb of music weigh less than 20 cd's). And my christmas present (last christmas, mind you) was going to be an mp3 player. But ogg playback is a must for me. So I'm still waiting.

What do I want? Simple. A light and sleek 2Gb or so linux compatible ogg player that, if possible, runs on a Li-ion battery. Simply said, an iPod nano that works 100% with Linux and plays oggs. My brother has one... that's slightly thick and only has 512Mb.

Have you ever done a comparison between ogg and mp3? At 96 and 128 kbps, the basses in mp3 really [put a nasty word here]. I mean, ogg sounds better, it's free and is evolving. Why, oh why is it so difficult to find an ogg player?

Sorry for the long rant.

Now on topic: Any usb player that consists on a flash card reader should work OK with Linux. I am not so sure about the HD ones, but I suppose that as long as the filesystem has read/write support...

dosed150
December 14th, 2005, 06:59 PM
if you can find a rio karma its 20gb and plays ogg,mp3 and sum others youll probs find it pretty cheap now it should work as a drag and drop ums on a linux machine im getting a rio carbon but that doesnt play ogg so wont be much use for you

Brunellus
December 14th, 2005, 07:04 PM
if you can find a rio karma its 20gb and plays ogg,mp3 and sum others youll probs find it pretty cheap now it should work as a drag and drop ums on a linux machine im getting a rio carbon but that doesnt play ogg so wont be much use for you
The Rio Karma does not, and has never worked as UMS, either on Linux or on Windows. In fact, on Linux, USB transfer isn't even possible...you have to use the ethernet (!) dock to effect this, and even so, you must do it through their Java app.

Add this to the fact that the Karma has been out of production for ages, and that has been dogged with reports of hard drive problems-- the player locks up, necessitating bitch-slapping to effect a fix.

I considered the Karma, but rejected it ultimately in favor of the iRiver H340.

xequence
December 14th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Hi guys,

This ogg thing is really getting to my nerves. I mean, all the CD's I have ripped in my laptop are ogg (trust me, 5Gb of music weigh less than 20 cd's). And my christmas present (last christmas, mind you) was going to be an mp3 player. But ogg playback is a must for me. So I'm still waiting.

What do I want? Simple. A light and sleek 2Gb or so linux compatible ogg player that, if possible, runs on a Li-ion battery. Simply said, an iPod nano that works 100% with Linux and plays oggs. My brother has one... that's slightly thick and only has 512Mb.

Have you ever done a comparison between ogg and mp3? At 96 and 128 kbps, the basses in mp3 really [put a nasty word here]. I mean, ogg sounds better, it's free and is evolving. Why, oh why is it so difficult to find an ogg player?

Sorry for the long rant.

Now on topic: Any usb player that consists on a flash card reader should work OK with Linux. I am not so sure about the HD ones, but I suppose that as long as the filesystem has read/write support...

I prefer Musepack to OGG. It has less compatability with MP3 players, but its better quality.

I use MP3 anyway... --alt-preset standard gives me transparent quality.