PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox always takes foreground

mindstalk
July 28th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Before heron, I was used to the following behavior:
if I clicked on a URL in a terminal, and Firefox was minimized, Firefox would be maximized and become the top window as the URL was opened in a new tab. But if firefox was in the background then it would stay in the background as the tab opened.

Now firefox *always* takes the foreground. As I often open many urls in tabs at once (thanks to getting them in e-mail) with the intent of reading them later, I would like to configure this back to the old behavior, but I see no way of doing so.

I'm using basic Gnome.

Keyper7
July 28th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Before heron, I was used to the following behavior:
if I clicked on a URL in a terminal, and Firefox was minimized, Firefox would be maximized and become the top window as the URL was opened in a new tab. But if firefox was in the background then it would stay in the background as the tab opened.

Now firefox *always* takes the foreground. As I often open many urls in tabs at once (thanks to getting them in e-mail) with the intent of reading them later, I would like to configure this back to the old behavior, but I see no way of doing so.

I'm using basic Gnome.

Did you use FF3 before installing Hardy or in other distros/systems?

You're not the first to mention this: I've heard some people saying that FF3 is a little bit more arrogant than FF2 when it comes to stealing focus. It might not be a Hardy problem, but a FF3 problem.

mindstalk
July 28th, 2008, 04:07 AM
No, I hadn't; this is my first FF3 usage. Hadn't thought of that, though it'd hardly be the first UI design problem I've had with FF3. "arrogant" describes a lot of things...

mindstalk
July 28th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I re-installed Firefox 2, and hey, it behaves properly. So this is indeed a FF3 problem.

OTOH, my chosen default serif font (URW Palladio) still looks smaller than it did before the upgrade, so that may be Ubuntu. (And if I increase the size, the sans fonts look too big.)