PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] oops!! I formated my ext3 drive..

bert79
July 28th, 2008, 03:05 AM
i was trying to dual boot XP and ubunto on my computer.

Everythinkg was fine at first with xp i selected my 80 gig drive with a 15 gig NTFS partion, then XP wanted to format the new partation, ok, well when it went to format that partion it wasent the 1st drive but the 2nd 1 TB drive i reset as soon as i saw the drive was wrong. i did a quick format so iam hoping the data is still there, but only the table was deleted. i havent used the drive since. any help would be great....

tamoneya
July 28th, 2008, 03:40 AM
if you can download RIP linux on another computer or without using the drive in question. Once you download RIP linux burn the iso to a cd and boot from it. There is a program on there called test disk which will search the disk for files (normally the computer doesnt search for the files instead it asks the partition MFT where the files are). It should find your files for you. You should have some other drive or somewhere that you can save the files to.

http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

Sef
July 28th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Test Disk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) has it own site.

bert79
July 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM
im sorry i should have been more specific when i posted this thread.

My system is on a 80 gig hdd. however i have another 1 TB drive with a LOT of stuff on it. 40 Full length dvds (200 gigs+), 100+ gigs of music, 150 gigs of programs, and a bunch of pictures, and documents.

i can boot into the system fine, but i dont know how to get the data off the drive once i get them, short of getting a 500 gig drive.

i really messed up this time .....

bert79
July 28th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,

you saved my butt..... I used testdisk and it was able to restore the superblock....
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,

i now can stop taking tums....