PDA

View Full Version : pidgin 2.4.3 users, msn question

Polygon
July 27th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Ok...so i use pidgin 2.4.3 on both linux and windows. And for some reason when im talking to people on msn, at random times, its like i get disconnected from the server. I just stop receiving messages from them and they don't see my messages, and the only way to fix this is to restart pidgin. I don't see any errors or disconnect messages, and im browsing the internet at the same time so my internet connection isnt down

its REALLY starting to **** me off, and im looking to for other msn alternatives (yes i know them dont suggest any, not the point of the post =P ) but i'm just wondering, is this just me, or is it something funky with my internet connection? I dunno how it could be as aim/yahoo/xmmp all work fine

rudihawk
July 27th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I've also had issues like that with pidgin, usually a restart fixes it, but it is annoying.

RiceMonster
July 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
It might have something to do with this bug on the emesene front page:

This is a bugfix-only release, including the update of the "application id", hex number that some of the msn servers rejected. All users should update as soon as possible, since this change is going to be applied to all servers, resulting in either error messages when trying to manipulate contacts, or empty contact list after logging in.

Pidgin might have a similar problem.

boom2k1
July 30th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I experience the same thing too!!!!
I was blaming it on my ISP, but now I realize it seems like a common problem.

I updated emesene to emesene 1.0.1 but it didn't solve the problem either.
Now both pidgin and emesene constantly kept disconnecting.

Does anyone have ways to deal with it?

Thanks

frup
July 30th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I have had this problem on 3 different computers and 2 different internet connections. It really is annoying.

jwaiwit
July 30th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I still get this trouble too.It's not only this version I got this since I have use Pidgin. I heard from others it's like a bug ?
but It's not happen with Yahoo. It's only with MSN.

Polygon
July 30th, 2008, 06:03 AM
ok, makes me feel better knowing its not just me

a newer version of the msn protocol is going to be in the next version of pidgin, so hopefully that will fix it.

boom2k1
July 30th, 2008, 07:08 AM
My pidgin didn't get cut off for the last 30 minutes after I tried using the msn-pecan implementation of the msn protocol.

It is pre-mature to say it works, but you may give it a try. I will also report that it doesn't if I still get disconnected periodically.

Perhaps you may want to try that as well.

Please refer to
http://code.google.com/p/msn-pecan/wiki/HowToInstall
for instruction.

At this moment this msn-pecan plugin actually does more than what Pidgin offers with its old protocol, but the sore point is that offline messaging is not yet supported. (I read from the author's log that he is really working on it and is almost done with it.)

You mention about the next major release of Pidgin might fix it (when they merge the msn changes to Pidgin 2.5.0), but who knows how long it will take.

FuturePilot
July 30th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Ok...so i use pidgin 2.4.3 on both linux and windows. And for some reason when im talking to people on msn, at random times, its like i get disconnected from the server. I just stop receiving messages from them and they don't see my messages, and the only way to fix this is to restart pidgin. I don't see any errors or disconnect messages, and im browsing the internet at the same time so my internet connection isnt down

its REALLY starting to **** me off, and im looking to for other msn alternatives (yes i know them dont suggest any, not the point of the post =P ) but i'm just wondering, is this just me, or is it something funky with my internet connection? I dunno how it could be as aim/yahoo/xmmp all work fine

ok, makes me feel better knowing its not just me

a newer version of the msn protocol is going to be in the next version of pidgin, so hopefully that will fix it.

No it's not just you. I've had that same problem. No errors, it appears that I sent a message, but the other person never receives it. I thought maybe it was my wireless or something, but I guess I'm not the only one either.

sstusick
July 30th, 2008, 07:33 AM

its REALLY starting to **** me off, and im looking to for other msn alternatives (yes i know them dont suggest any, not the point of the post =P ) but i'm just wondering, is this just me, or is it something funky with my internet connection? I dunno how it could be as aim/yahoo/xmmp all work fine I have this same problem as well, and it is VERY aggravating. Even on Windows I prefer Pidgin for MSN because the MSN software freezes up on me randomly for like 5 seconds in the middle of conversations. I only have a few friends on MSN, the rest are all on AIM, I'd like to get them to move to AIM or Yahoo, but that ain't happening. Oh well, I'm use to the disconnects now, hopefully in the future this annoyance will be fixed. I originally thought I was the only one with this problem :lolflag:

togume
September 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
FYI: This is still happening in 2.5.0 in Linux & Win (work, I know...).

gabr10
December 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Still happens to me in 2.7.3