PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Open Office 3.0

rvasandani
July 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sir,
I have downloaded Openoffice 3.0 (Beta) from Openoffice.org but I am unable to install it on Ubuntu 8.04. May I request you to help me out.
Vasandani

miesnerd
July 27th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I think this linked thread will answer all your questions.
Open office is awesome!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=747722

Ashejoe
July 28th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Believe me... I feel your pain when it comes to trying to make sense out of the procedural chaos of installing a Linux program that is not part of the official Ubuntu repository... like OpenOffice 3. I imagine it's probably the single biggest reason many people quickly become totally frustrated with Linux and head back on bended knee to Microsoft ?

But like yourself, I wanted to experience OpenOffice 3. And, after struggling with trying to load the Debian version for well over an hour, I finally gave up and settled on a different strategy......

I downloaded the MICROSOFT WINDOWS version of OpenOffice 3 and loaded it onto my Ubuntu 8.04 system using WINE. (are you familiar with WINE ? www.winehq.org/site/download then pick the Ubuntu link. It installs real easy... even for me.)

It works.... even if it is a back door approach !

Sef
July 28th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I have downloaded Openoffice 3.0 (Beta) from Openoffice.org but I am unable to install it on Ubuntu 8.04. May I request you to help me out.
Vasandani

Download the Linux deb package (http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/) for your system (32-bit or 64-bit.) If you are not sure, then you most likely need the 32-bit version.

Sir

Not everyone here is a sir. Best just to start typing the problem.

Ashejoe
July 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I tend to disagree with you Sef.

True, you can download the DEB package from the OpenOffice.org website. The problem is trying to install it !!! That's what rvasandani and I are trying to figure out.

When you unpack that DEB package there are dozens of "separate" DEB packages, none of which make much sense to a Linux novice, like myself. There is no clear, clean, logical way to install the Beta 3 package unless one is very knowledgeable about working in Konsole mode.

Elfy
July 28th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Change to the directory in a terminal and run

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

You'll need to make launchers as they are in't the install package yet - or weren't when I did it, my menu launcher is to

/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice

miesnerd
July 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Change to the directory in a terminal and run

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

You'll need to make launchers as they are in't the install package yet - or weren't when I did it, my menu launcher is to

/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice

forestpixie is right on. But, like i said in my above post, all of that is linked in the URL I provided to a thread. It has the shortcuts to both installing and where the launchers are.
If you're using 32 bit linux you'll have to take out the <force architecture> tag, but sudo dpkg -i *.deb works. I know. I did it yesterday with the 2nd beta release of OpenOffice.org!

Vinas
July 29th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I would like to kindly point out that the location may vary. For me it's:
/opt/ooo-dev3/program

Then from there I just open writer by doing ./swriter for instance. I can verify the dkpg -i *.deb installs just fine on amd64 builds. :guitar:

Cheers!

miesnerd
July 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I would like to kindly point out that the location may vary. For me it's:
/opt/ooo-dev3/program

Then from there I just open writer by doing ./swriter for instance. :guitar:

Cheers!

Excellent point. On different systems, it is dependent on what else is installed, and thus, what else is in /opt/

Good call.

lametike
October 19th, 2008, 01:37 AM
i also have this problem! after getting the stable version of the ooo3.0,
some of the files showed:"depenecy is not satisfiable"

Enigmacat
November 4th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I ran in to a problem when installing. One deb. just seemed not to be in the package: ooobasis3-en-US could not be found. Without this my install was worthless. Any way around this?