PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] youtube videos doenst show

einfinger
July 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM
im having some problems with flash it seems, videos wont start when i enter a page like youtube.. i go in to see a video and all i get is a white screen where the video is supposed to be, ive installed the flash player a few times and uninstalled firefox aswell but it doesnt seem to do the trick

any ideas ?

billgoldberg
July 27th, 2008, 01:38 PM
im having some problems with flash it seems, videos wont start when i enter a page like youtube.. i go in to see a video and all i get is a white screen where the video is supposed to be, ive installed the flash player a few times and uninstalled firefox aswell but it doesnt seem to do the trick

any ideas ?

Open up a terminal and enter (copy/paste) this code:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list && wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y ubuntu-restricted-extras non-free-codecs w32codecs totem-mozilla libdvdcss2

That should fix all your flash/codecs troubles.

einfinger
July 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
that didnt help :/

WildeBeest
July 27th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I have the same problem.

I'm using Hardy Heron (64 bit) and Firefox 3.

rockerphil
July 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM
i'd suggest installing the flash plugin from the repos. so just pull up a terminal and run this

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

then restart Firefox and Flash should work,

Phil

einfinger
July 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM
ive already done that, even reinstalled it :/

gjoellee
July 27th, 2008, 06:55 PM
You may have installed one other plugin. I don't remember what it is called but i think it starts with the letter "G". It can disturb flash. Please tell me all the plugins you have....found in Tools->Addons->Plugins (in firefox and not gnome menu)

rockerphil
July 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
ok, then the next thing i'd try is downloading the plugin from the Adobe web site and installing it that way. i'd personally get the .rpm package (since they don't supply a .deb package) and use alien to convert it to .deb, then just use dpkg to install it. hope this helps,

Phil

----------------
Now playing: Atmosphere - Sunshine (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/atmosphere/track/sunshine)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

gjoellee
July 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM
if you are using Ubuntu you have to install alien first to use .rpm
sudo apt-get install alien in Ubuntu it is meant for you to download .tar.gz if you wan to install in manually. Flash is supposed to be installed when firefox asks you to install a missing plugin

einfinger
July 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM
ive got the latest flash player

ive got no plugins starting with g.

i have however two shockwave flash player plugins installed,tried to remove them and reinstall and such but no luck yet.

billgoldberg
July 27th, 2008, 09:22 PM
What files are in /home/rw/.mozilla/plugins ?

There should be a mention of "libflashplayer.so", that's the flashplayer plugin.

Is it there?

Try removing the rest (might want to keep the java one).

And then restart firefox.

litlfrog
July 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I was having a problem with very blocky playing in YouTube, so I did the codec install listed in the code above. It worked fine and videos play well (thanks), but now there are some font changes in Firefox that I'm not crazy about. Can anyone tell me how to undo the change to type?

gjoellee
July 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM
you can change fonts, in Edit->Prefernces->Content

einfinger
July 30th, 2008, 07:11 PM
nobody ? i really dont wanna reinstall :(

mattchesters
July 30th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I always thought flash didn't work in 64bit?

einfinger
July 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM
i dont have 64bit :P

ConMan318
July 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I always thought flash didn't work in 64bit?

Uh nope. I have 64-bit and Flash works just fine.

Earlier though my Flash videos did stop working (because of an update), though. I just went into Synaptic and marked 'flash-plugin-nonfree' for complete removal and applied. Then I marked it for installation and installed it, and restarted Firefox (you didn't forget that you have to restart the Fox did you?) and everything was well again.

einfinger
July 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM
ive reinstalled nonfree aswell..

Does anyone know how i can remove the flashplayer from adobe ?