PDA

View Full Version : Macbook vs Vaio

el mariachi
July 27th, 2008, 11:01 AM
It's finally that time of life when you have to buy a laptop to take with you to college so that other people think you work a lot hehe

I've done some searching (I'm still doing it anyway), but two choices popped out:
Apple's Macbook 2.1Ghz and Sony's Vaio CR31Z.

Mainly I'm looking for a small factor laptop (13" to 14" screen sizes and less than 2.5Kg).
These two choices have the exact same price tag: 999,00€, although Apple gives a discount to students so the Macbook actually costs 938€ (+ iWork which is 75€ - I like this suite).

On a side note, both these laptops would cost +-750€ if there were no taxes.:mad:

What do you think? Is the macbook worth it?

artir
July 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I would check some Dell lappies (The Inspiron ones)
System76 is also a good provider.

If you want to choose between the Mac and the Vaio, I would go for the Vaio

Newuser1111
July 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Vaio, if that's the only choices you have.

the8thstar
July 27th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Mac. You can always install Vista and Ubuntu on top and launch with rEFIT.

With VAIO, you can't use OS X.

hellion0
July 27th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I'd go with the Macbook, especially if Linux is in the cards. Vaios are extremely tricky to get working anywhere near normal under Linux.

perce
July 27th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I'd buy the lightest one, but that's me.

PHATSPEED7x
July 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
My sister started school with a vaio, and then bought a mac book. I got the vaio now with ubuntu on it, and it really works sweet.

issih
July 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM
The macbook is a fine machine, and its power management is excellent, it is that one feature that I think really makes it stand out.

If you will use OS-X then buy the mac. If you will use windows the Sony.

If, however, you are going to use Ubuntu most of the time, buy neither, get something more linux friendly, or a preinstalled system.

With both of those you are paying extra for brand and style (and I say that as a macbook owner) so be aware of that and happy with it.

billgoldberg
July 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Neither.

Remember the sony rootkit incident.

And a macbook for obvious reasons.

I like the hp pavilion series (the intel based ones).

http://www.hpshopping.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Brand&v1=HP%20Pavilion

Mine was 100% compatible with ubuntu.

wrtpeeps
July 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
macbook!

3rdalbum
July 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Remember, Apple tried to stop its customers from being able to use iPods on other operating systems.

Sony's newer MP3 players are supported literally out-of-the-box on Linux, and Sony has never done anything to stop those from working on Linux.

It would be an easy choice for me to make.

gn2
July 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Asus F9E

the8thstar
July 27th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Remember, Apple tried to stop its customers from being able to use iPods on other operating systems.

Sony's newer MP3 players are supported literally out-of-the-box on Linux, and Sony has never done anything to stop those from working on Linux.

It would be an easy choice for me to make.

Good point, but if I was going to have to choose between two cars to buy, I wouldn't look at the sound system only to make my choice.

Exsecrabilus
July 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Rumor has it the MacBook and the MacBook Pro will get an update (aluminum casing, among other things) sometime this year. I recommend you hold out on that.

amazingtaters
July 27th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Rumor has it the MacBook and the MacBook Pro will get an update (aluminum casing, among other things) sometime this year. I recommend you hold out on that.

But at what cost? And will it only be cosmetic? I know I for one already find the MacBooks to be overpriced for what they provide performance wise. Will there be an extra 100 USD tacked on because of the new look, that makes it a new and improved gen of macbooks without any real performance enhancements? The only apple product I own in a 5G iPod, and I'm not sure I would buy another iPod. I would go with the Vaio if those are your only two choices, otherwise, try out some other brand such as Asus or HP, or Acer for that matter (gotta plug the vendor I bought mine from...)

hanzomon4
July 27th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Macbook...

Macs are great for students, zero hassle and rock solid. Plus you can install Windows and Linux via triboot or VM. If you already are good with the Cli in Linux it's basically identical in OSX(bash).

hessiess
July 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM
if you like osx get a mac. avoid vista at all costs.

Exsecrabilus
July 28th, 2008, 02:34 PM
But at what cost? And will it only be cosmetic? I know I for one already find the MacBooks to be overpriced for what they provide performance wise. Will there be an extra 100 USD tacked on because of the new look, that makes it a new and improved gen of macbooks without any real performance enhancements? The only apple product I own in a 5G iPod, and I'm not sure I would buy another iPod. I would go with the Vaio if those are your only two choices, otherwise, try out some other brand such as Asus or HP, or Acer for that matter (gotta plug the vendor I bought mine from...)
Another rumor is that it will be cheaper, so it will get more attention and it will sell better. :)

videoediting-direct
July 28th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Personally, I have used HP and Vaio....but I would say HP is any day better then Vaio. I just dislike Vaio:mad:with Vista...

Kind Regards,

Sapphire

tom66
July 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Don't go with HP. Horrible support.
Don't go with Dell Inspirons. Unreliable.

paul101
July 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
may is suggest a thinkpad

they are exceptionally made and have good / brilliant Linux compatibility

DeadSuperHero
July 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
You could always get a Dell XPS with the following specs:

-Intel Core2Duo
-Nvidia 8400
-Some insanely big hard drive.

And with those specs, they'd be close enough to run a vanilla OSX86 (a hacker's project to put Mac OSX on PC hardware) on it. (Vanilla meaning that you can get official updates from Apple, and they won't break anything.)

Ironically, I found it's actually cheaper to buy the Windows one over the Ubuntu one, and you get more configuration options. You'd also be getting the performance of a Macbook Pro, with the cost of something slightly more than a Macbook...

Just a thought. On another note, you'd definitely be turning heads with that.

At the very least, that's my plan on my college notebook.

mips
July 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Get one of the new or older Thinkpads:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/special-offers.workflow:ShowPromo?LandingPage=/All/US/Landing_pages/Info/08/Montevina&ipromoID=wna00256&

50words
July 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
If you primarily want to run Ubuntu, then a Lenovo ThinkPad or Dell Inspiron is a better choice than either.

If you want to run Windows, get the Vaio. If you want to run OSX, get the Macbook.

If you want the best computer, get the Macbook. Or get a Thinkpad, if you want an equally-good computer that is hurting in the looks department.

Everyone is going to disagree with everyone else, but we just bought my wife a Macbook, and while I think my ThinkPad would probably win in a toughness contest, man, the Mac system is nice. Smooth, polished, and well-integrated. I am 99% certain I am getting a Macbook Pro or Air (not sure what my needs are, at the moment) for my next laptop.

mips
July 28th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I am 99% certain I am getting a Macbook Pro or Air (not sure what my needs are, at the moment) for my next laptop.

Can I have your Thinkpad? ;)

billgoldberg
July 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Don't go with HP. Horrible support.
Don't go with Dell Inspirons. Unreliable.

Strange I was pretty content about HP support.

Sure it took 3 weeks to get my laptop back, but they changed everything but the case while it technically wasn't under warranty anymore.

Nepherte
July 28th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm very satisfied with my Sony Vaio SZ6XN/C. Pretty much worked out of the box except for headphone jack, webcam and fingerprint reader. The first two are easily fixed. You can read more about my experience here: http://bart.4aps.be/linux/ubuntu_on_a_sony_vaio_sz6.html

cardinals_fan
July 28th, 2008, 07:12 PM
As much as I hate Macs, I would NEVER buy a Sony.

Thinkpads are the best.

50words
July 28th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Can I have your Thinkpad? ;)

No, but you can buy it. It'll be a while, though, since I won't bother buying a Mac until next refreshes come around (currently looks like September).

poofyhairguy
July 29th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I have a first gen Macbook and I love it. It runs Ubuntu like a charm, an d is really slick looking. My only problem with it is the small screen, which is why I bought a 15" Lenovo for half the price of my Macbook. It does not look as slick, but it can take a beating (do NOT buy an Apple product without Applecare) and runs OSX better than the Macbook (worse on Linux though).

SunnyRabbiera
July 29th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Me I would never buy a Vaio, I heard so many bad things about them its outrageous... I would buy the Macbook anyday.

kool_kat_os
July 29th, 2008, 02:11 AM
My vaio ax-570g hinges broke when i was opening it. now it doesnt stay open.

I dont think that's supposed to happen :(

mips
July 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM
...It does not look as slick, but it can take a beating (do NOT buy an Apple product without Applecare) and runs OSX better than the Macbook (worse on Linux though).

Here we have a staff member violating the OSX eula, normal members posts usually get locked or jailed. Wonder what is going to happen to this post :)

PS. Should that no be SABDFL's Commando or is it a space issue?

StueyB
July 29th, 2008, 10:54 PM
This is something I can really comment on.

I had a vaio and I hated it that much that I sold a £1000 laptop for £400 because I just pure hated it.

The macbook. Its ok but running anything except OSX is a pain the butt. Got a new macbook/2GB/120 HDD etc etc with 10.5 and its ok but getting used to it is super hard. It does have some funky features such as sync (if linux had that it would rock) I didnt get on with it (for a second time :redface::redface:, originally had a macbook 12") and also screen is v small.

However my Thinkpad T60p, is so awesome that I cant describe it. It runs any OS you want, without messing about. Exceptional support and although it may not be the lightest is build like a tank on steroids and is exceptionally resistant to damage. We had a few at work and they all lasted at least 5 years before being sold to staff.

If I had to buy a new lappy, it would always be a Thinkpad

Regards

Stu