PDA

View Full Version : Dock bars, wich one you use, and why?

Darkade
July 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hello, I'm currently using AWN but I want to use another dock bar, something simpler, but I keep google searching dock bars and find nothing but AWN and Cairo so what Dock Bar do you use, if any, and why do you use it?:lolflag:

artir
July 26th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Well. I've used AWN, Cairo Dock, the gdesklets dock and other ones.(Both compiled and .deb versions) I think AWN is the best of all the docks.

But docks just sit there consuming a bit of ram and maybe, screen space. You want shorcuts? place them on the top/right/left/bottom bar.
They may look great, but is faster to have them on the bars.

Just my opinion.

LeoSolaris
July 26th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Personally I use AWN's BZR version for 8.04 64-bit. I rather like the applets, and the newer one (than the ones available in the Ubuntu repo) operate smoother, and have more useful functions.

Once they get a notification bar that nicely displays the wireless tool on the panel's notification bar, I will be eliminating the panel entirely. I have more than enough RAM, so the little bit of RAM used to make it look nice is of little consequence to me.

I have tried cairo, kiba, and a couple of others, but I keep coming back to AWN. I am thinking of going to cairo in the near future, but for now AWN works with less work on my part.

Leo

bigbrovar
July 26th, 2008, 10:41 PM
My favorite Dock was AWN .. i tried cairo but it wasnt just for me .. this was some months back .. i recently gave cairo dock another try .. this time i was hooked ..

cardinals_fan
July 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I don't use a dock (I hate the whole concept), but, if I did, I would use wbar. Minimal but functional.

picpak
July 27th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Anyone know of a good dock that doesn't require a compositing manager AND has a weather applet? That's pretty much all that's keeping me to AWN (and xcompmgr) right now. I find my computer is a little speedier without xcompmgr running, and I think keeping it running for a dock is overkill. Any ideas?

SomeGuyDude
July 27th, 2008, 12:29 AM
AWN is so damn feature-rich and useful I feel crippled without it.

ahillerin
July 31st, 2008, 04:37 PM
wbar becasue that s a launch bar ! ;)

spupy
July 31st, 2008, 08:42 PM
I would like to try AWN, but it won't play good with Fluxbox and looks very ugly for some reason.
That is why I "made" my own dock:
http://vesso.marv.lafka.net/screens/screens24/dock.png
These are not just normal desktop icons arranged as a dock. Oh, no! They do behave like a dock, kinda, thanks to a couple of duct tape scripts. If I click an icon, the app starts, but if the app is already running, it takes me to its window. Also the calendar icon does show the current date. And the mail icon shows the amount of unread emails in my gmail accounts (yes, I copied the red circle thing from OSX ;) )(this script is my most bestest achievement in bash scripting). The last three icons are one-click backup, encrypt and archive programs, respectively.
Behold! It does not require no stinkin compositing, just 10MB RAM. :)

dracule
July 31st, 2008, 08:47 PM
awn's autohide is messed up :(

flytripper
July 31st, 2008, 08:52 PM
awns bugged up to the eyeballs. the applets stop working on restart of awn or system and just show lines where they used to be

Darkade
July 31st, 2008, 08:56 PM
awn's autohide is messed up :( You installed it from the repositories? if so you might try installing it following this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762363) howto, it is really helpful.

By the way, I already tried the suggested docks and i really liked Kiba, but it kindda tend to crash, even though I blame that on my laptop graphics card because in the desktop it seems to work fine.

awns bugged up to the eyeballs. the applets stop working on restart of awn or system and just show lines where they used to be

for me AWN works just fine with the avobe howto.

BTW thanks everyone, I think I'll stick with AWN in the laptop and Kiba in the desktop :D:D

picpak
July 31st, 2008, 09:29 PM
I would like to try AWN, but it won't play good with Fluxbox and looks very ugly for some reason.
That is why I "made" my own dock:
http://vesso.marv.lafka.net/screens/screens24/dock.png
These are not just normal desktop icons arranged as a dock. Oh, no! They do behave like a dock, kinda, thanks to a couple of duct tape scripts. If I click an icon, the app starts, but if the app is already running, it takes me to its window. Also the calendar icon does show the current date. And the mail icon shows the amount of unread emails in my gmail accounts (yes, I copied the red circle thing from OSX ;) )(this script is my most bestest achievement in bash scripting). The last three icons are one-click backup, encrypt and archive programs, respectively.
Behold! It does not require no stinkin compositing, just 10MB RAM. :)

That's actually pretty cool. If I wasn't settled with SimDock and fixed the only-on-one-workspace bug, I'd probably use it. :)

Keyper7
July 31st, 2008, 09:41 PM
I use cairo-dock just for launchers. Yes, I could simply use a bottom gnome-panel for that, but cairo-dock's autohide is swifter, smoother and much less intrusive. I really liked AWN's last.fm plugin, but last time I used it the autohide was annoyingly slow.

Furthermore, by enabling glitz in cairo-dock I make sure that the resources footprint is very small.

dracule
July 31st, 2008, 09:45 PM
You installed it from the repositories? if so you might try installing it following this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762363) howto, it is really helpful.

By the way, I already tried the suggested docks and i really liked Kiba, but it kindda tend to crash, even though I blame that on my laptop graphics card because in the desktop it seems to work fine.

for me AWN works just fine with the avobe howto.

BTW thanks everyone, I think I'll stick with AWN in the laptop and Kiba in the desktop :D:D

It wont do anything, I talked to the Devs on IRC. The guy who is supposed to fix autohide is in Istanbul or somewhere on vacation.

Harii
October 5th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Tablaunch or Wbar take less RAM and that is always good.
eye-candy without the fat.

Twitch6000
October 5th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Kiba-Dock would probably be my favorite >.>.

The reason is due to the simplicity yet complexity all in one.
Not to mention it is probably the most stable dock I have used besides cario dock.

Corfy
October 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I use Kooldock, but then, I'm a KDE user. It is the only dock I have ever used, and I have only been using it for a few weeks, but I really like it.

awakatanka
October 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I use Kooldock, but then, I'm a KDE user. It is the only dock I have ever used, and I have only been using it for a few weeks, but I really like it.

paddock looks better i think http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/paddock?content=84998

Sponzenbroekske
October 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
KIBA
like eyecandy, look for an old version
like simplicity, take the current version
:)

Corfy
October 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
paddock looks better i think http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/paddock?content=84998

Perhaps, but I don't see it in the repositories. Call me lazy, but if I am going to manually check for program updates, I prefer it to be something a bit more significant than a dock.

Harii
October 6th, 2008, 02:13 AM
use
http://crunchbang.org/archives/2008/03/08/crunchbang-linux-apt-repository/
crunchbang is an ubuntu-base distro

Scruffynerf
October 6th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Gnome panel does enough for me.

SomeGuyDude
October 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Also, it has to be AWN from the bzr. The one that comes with Ubuntu now is just worthless. For some reason it has no applets, and just doesn't work as well. Use the guide linked above.

Sand Lee
October 6th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I tried docks, but found them too clumsy and slow. I use gnome-do instead :)

Sand Lee
October 7th, 2008, 04:24 PM
great i'm a thread-killer...:confused:

Corfy
October 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
great i'm a thread-killer...:confused:

MURDERER!!!! [-X[-X

:lolflag:

Sand Lee
October 8th, 2008, 04:13 AM
](*,) You'll never take me alive!!! \\:D/
*hides under bed*

bp1509
October 8th, 2008, 04:19 AM
d

doorknob60
October 8th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I just use KDE4's regular Plasma taskbar (not a dock really). It works, and I can stick a crapload of applets on it so I like it :)

quinnten83
October 8th, 2008, 06:17 AM
want a decent dock bar? get a mac. None of the one's for linux or windows are worth it imo.
< sarcasm>
Yeah, you're right.
I'll spend the €1000 on a new machine, with a completely new operating system, so I can use a new dock. How do I transfer that dock to my Ubuntu machine? Although I must say that this would be the most expensive piece of software,specifically a program launcher, I've ever bought.
</sarcasm>

Jim!
October 8th, 2008, 06:19 AM
want a decent dock bar? get a mac. None of the one's for linux or windows are worth it imo.

Don't they have dock bars for Linux that look and behave in exactly the same way as the Mac ones? I don't use a dock bar BTW. Maybe I should?

Harii
October 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
panels and task bars are too Micro$oft for me.
I'll take a dock bar any day--and its less filling.:popcorn: