PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New LG laptop refuses to run Ubuntu "Hardy Heron"

watwann
July 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Hey guys
I have just bought a new LG R405 laptop and want to install Ubuntu. I have been looking at it for a while and have run it from live cd on two other laptops (Averatec and HP)but I can't even run the live cd on the LG.

When I boot to the cd, it will load to the menu screen, ask for language, and then start loading but give a "No-apic" error.

I have tried F4 to safe mode and edit start option for "noapic and nolapic" but the boot has a failure to set system clock and stops at command line.

Windows Vista Premium is already installed and I have shrunk my drives to leave about 95 gig unallocated.

The LG has a built-in protection system that appears to have partitioned the hard drive with a 1gig unaccessable partition as well as the primary and secondary partitions.

I grew up on DOS but have had all those brain cells burnt off by WinXP so am just learning computers again.

LG R405
Intel Core2 Duo (2Ghz)
4 gig ram
320 gig SATA HD
ATI Xpress 1250

I am trying to install the 32 bit version which I understand is more stable.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

ejpyle
July 26th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hey guys
I have just bought a new LG R405 laptop and want to install Ubuntu. I have been looking at it for a while and have run it from live cd on two other laptops (Averatec and HP)but I can't even run the live cd on the LG.

When I boot to the cd, it will load to the menu screen, ask for language, and then start loading but give a "No-apic" error.

I have tried F4 to safe mode and edit start option for "noapic and nolapic" but the boot has a failure to set system clock and stops at command line.

Windows Vista Premium is already installed and I have shrunk my drives to leave about 95 gig unallocated.

The LG has a built-in protection system that appears to have partitioned the hard drive with a 1gig unaccessable partition as well as the primary and secondary partitions.

I grew up on DOS but have had all those brain cells burnt off by WinXP so am just learning computers again.

LG R405
Intel Core2 Duo (2Ghz)
4 gig ram
320 gig SATA HD
ATI Xpress 1250

I am trying to install the 32 bit version which I understand is more stable.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Read up on this.....
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-148761.html