PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstall messed up ubuntu partition with dual boot windows xp?

curlymeatball38
July 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I am currently dual booting ubuntu and windows xp on my computer. I mainly use xp, but on occasion i mess around with ubuntu. I recently made some changes that messed a bunch of things up on ubuntu, and i want to start over with a clean slate. I dont have anything to backup, and i just want to reinstall ubuntu without messing up my windows partition.

My question is, can i just delete the ubuntu partition and then install ubuntu again without ruining GRUB?

Also, just in case i ever want to just get rid of ubuntu altogether, can i just delete the partition and expand the windows partition?

Thanks for your help.

Pumalite
July 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
You can just install, go Manual and use the old partitions. You can ignore /swap.

mikewhatever
July 27th, 2008, 01:36 AM
never mind

curlymeatball38
July 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM
never mind
why nevermind?

i was trying to install awn, and ubuntu wouldnt install all of its dependencies, so i tried to install them manually, and ubuntu said that they were already installed, but i realized they were a different version. so i tried uninstalling the dependencies and reinstalling the other version, but a lot of other programs had those dependencies, so they were uninstalling and the network monitor stopped working so i just turned off the computer to stop it from uninstalling everything.

as i said, i barely use ubuntu, so reinstalling isnt such a big deal to fix what i did.

zvacet
July 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
so reinstalling isnt such a big deal to fix what i did.

Then follow Pumalite´s advice.